Collins/Thacker Defensive Scheme Question

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
So if it hasn’t translated is that entirely on the coaches?
You didn’t answer the question
Alright. A coach’s job is to coach, right? So yeah, I’d have to say it is on the coaches entirely.

If you’re inferring that it’s on the players, so that’s why we have been horrific the last 3 years, then that’s also on him. He ain’t recruiting if that’s the case.

It all comes down to him. Bottom line. That’s why he’s the head coach.

Cmon man, we are all tech fans. Of course I want him to succeed, but what he’s proven the last 3 years time and time again is he can’t coach.

If you think otherwise I would love to be proven wrong. We can hope. But it ain’t looking good.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Imo, he failed to hold his subordinates FOR NOT IMPROVING in year 2. This wasted year 3 .

But thacker did get better at letting lots of people get to run out on the field - which he and thacker think is vital. Got to give max effort is true.
But first you need a group that knows what to do. Imo, Collins is responsible for getting this backwards.
I’ve wondered if our backend schemes were too complex for our substitution patterns. Coach Thacker at every press conference would tell us the secondary needed to trust their eyes, trust their teammates and communicate. It never got any better.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Alright. A coach’s job is to coach, right? So yeah, I’d have to say it is on the coaches entirely.

If you’re inferring that it’s on the players, so that’s why we have been horrific the last 3 years, then that’s also on him. He ain’t recruiting if that’s the case.

It all comes down to him. Bottom line. That’s why he’s the head coach.

Cmon man, we are all tech fans. Of course I want him to succeed, but what he’s proven the last 3 years time and time again is he can’t coach.

If you think otherwise I would love to be proven wrong. We can hope. But it ain’t looking good.

You sure we are all Tech fans here? Look more like Tech factions to me. I’ve never seen people who want to either scorch the earth or want redemption for the last regime.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So if it hasn’t translated is that entirely on the coaches?
Yes unless you are going to tell me our players are dumber than Miss State, UF, and Temple. Which I find it hard to believe. So, yes, I blame the coaches just cause you know what you are talking about does not mean you can teach. If they can learn it play some else

I have not been at a practice and I guess you have but if they do what I think he tells us the try and run X number of plays at practice so everyone gets in a number of plays. But how about working the 1st and 2 nd units and if they mess up stop then and go over it.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You sure we are all Tech fans here? Look more like Tech factions to me. I’ve never seen people who want to either scorch the earth or want redemption for the last regime.
Idk man. 3-9 for 3 years will tear any fan base.

Either way you haven’t really told me anything compelling to why it is or isn’t a coaching problem.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You may still remember me I think, you went to a UGA with me a few years ago and I enjoyed talking to you and enjoyed watching you play, I don't care about any Coach it was time for CPJ to go and it's time for CGC to go all I care about are the players and winning.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’ve wondered if our backend schemes were too complex for our substitution patterns. Coach Thacker at every press conference would tell us the secondary needed to trust their eyes, trust their teammates and communicate. It never got any better.

That would imply players from Miss. St & Temple are smarter than ours.

The major issue has been deemed that there was a case of the rumor game was going on the defensive side. Safety was told to do one thing CBs were told another to alleviate that, both were fired, there will be only 1 DB voice in the room & for now Thacker will not be the messenger

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You may still remember me I think, you went to a UGA with me a few years ago and I enjoyed talking to you and enjoyed watching you play, I don't care about any Coach it was time for CPJ to go and it's time for CGC to go all I care about are the players and winning.

Of course i do. That was fun day. Hopefully, we can do that again this fall

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow

The major issue has been deemed that there was a case of the rumor game was going on the defensive side. Safety was told to do one thing CBs were told another to alleviate that, both were fired, there will be only 1 DB voice in the room & for now Thacker will not be the messenger
That’s interesting. Why didn’t Collins step in and fix it during the season?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Ok now I understand Thanks

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Really does seem that way but temple wasn't that good.
Duke put 50+ on this defensive staff at Temple the year GC took the job here. He came and his staff coached the bowl game after he accepted the job at GT. Temple actually led at half. Failed to score the second half and gave up three more TD's the second half. That was Thacker's first year as the DC . Looks like Duke adjusted in the second half and Temple didn't.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t. I’m not totally sure.
Is it practical to make gt known for paying $$ and retaining great position coaches?
This big $$$ to the head coach and minimal $ to the position coach (imo) could be flipped.

Get and keep great position coaches would attract top athletes imo.

I did something like w my engr company - we paid way more for the best 1st line supervisors and all kinds of top project managers joined us from competitors. Clients loved it. Bunch of those guys styed w us and got $ when we sold..

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Is it practical to make gt known for paying $$ and retaining great position coaches?
This big $$$ to the head coach and minimal $ to the position coach (imo) could be flipped.

Get and keep great position coaches would attract top athletes imo.

I did something like w my engr company - we paid way more for the best 1st line supervisors and all kinds of top project managers joined us from competitors. Clients loved it. Bunch of those guys styed w us and got $ when we sold..
I mean, our head coach already is making damn near bottom dollar for a P5 program. You really aren’t going to find anyone who’s even close to qualified who will accept less than what we’re currently offering. That idea might work at a place like Tennessee or Florida State where they could save money and offer a HC closer to bottom tier money and still have a ton left over to pay assistants. But when you’re already paying bottom tier to both your HC and assistants there isn’t much money available that can be saved and reinvested.

I mean, the only feasible way it might work here would be trying to hire 2 high quality coordinators and paying them $2M each to be Co-HC, but good luck getting that system to work.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I mean, our head coach already is making damn near bottom dollar for a P5 program. You really aren’t going to find anyone who’s even close to qualified who will accept less than what we’re currently offering. That idea might work at a place like Tennessee or Florida State where they could save money and offer a HC closer to bottom tier money and still have a ton left over to pay assistants. But when you’re already paying bottom tier to both your HC and assistants there isn’t much money available that can be saved and reinvested.

I mean, the only feasible way it might work here would be trying to hire 2 high quality coordinators and paying them $2M each to be Co-HC, but good luck getting that system to work.

I guess u didnt understand that i am looking for a new way out of our situation.

i am thinking a staff compensation that is significatly less heavily weighted towards the HC, yet it elevates the quality at the player level.

We are bottom givers and gtaa owes 200,000,000 .
People who are not looking for a job will not come to work at a company in that much debt with our low level revenue.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I guess u didnt understand that i am looking for a new way out of our situation.

i am thinking a staff compensation that is significatly less heavily weighted towards the HC, yet it elevates the quality at the player level.

We are bottom givers and gtaa owes 200,000,000 .
People who are not looking for a job will not come to work at a company in that much debt with our low level revenue.

I understand what you’re saying, and I’m telling you that because of our current financial situation it will not work. In order to do what you are suggesting you would have to find somebody willing to accept the HC position at a P5 school with significant financial, institutional, and other limitations at well below market value, which would probably be somewhere in the $1.5-2M range. The only person who would accept that much responsibility at that far below market level would be someone who is not close to qualified for the job. That means you’re looking at someone like a G5 coordinator with no HC experience, a very young P5 position coach with no HC experience, or an old coach who has spent most of his career below the FBS level and has never even sniffed a P5 HC job before. How are you going to convince quality coordinators and position coaches to come work under someone like that? Even if you do pay the HC $1M less than what we are now, you only have an additional $1M there to spend. Chip Long is making $400k more than CDP, and if you brought in a DC to replace Thacker who made an additional $400k, you only have $200k left to spread between 8 more assistants. I’m not sure you’ll find quality assistants willing to take a job with the many challenges that exist here for slightly more cash, and work under a HC who’s severely under-qualified.

Like I said, your plan may work at a school who has the resources and ability to put more money into their program, and is already paying in the middle tier of market level. They could potentially drop their HC payment structure into the bottom tier and still find a reasonable candidate while saving money to spend on quality assistants.