Collins/Thacker Defensive Scheme Question

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know what we’ve been running on defense for the past couple years? I’ve been trying to figure out what the schematic philosophy is but can’t seem to grasp it. I know that there doesn’t seem to be a strong preference for any particular alignment or personnel in the front 7 because I’ve seen us vary it widely. In the secondary, does anyone know whether we favor a particular coverage scheme? For example, I’ve been watching the Seahawks for years, and Pete Carroll is well known for his Cover 3 philosophy. It’s caused a lot of communication issues because the corners are asked to understand so much mentally. Has that been our problem? Are we running a lot of Cover 3 or Cover 4 with our corners in zone? Or do we prefer more of a man coverage approach? Has there been consistency in what we ask our DBs to do, or has it been all over the place like our front 7?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what we’ve been running on defense for the past couple years? I’ve been trying to figure out what the schematic philosophy is but can’t seem to grasp it. I know that there doesn’t seem to be a strong preference for any particular alignment or personnel in the front 7 because I’ve seen us vary it widely. In the secondary, does anyone know whether we favor a particular coverage scheme? For example, I’ve been watching the Seahawks for years, and Pete Carroll is well known for his Cover 3 philosophy. It’s caused a lot of communication issues because the corners are asked to understand so much mentally. Has that been our problem? Are we running a lot of Cover 3 or Cover 4 with our corners in zone? Or do we prefer more of a man coverage approach? Has there been consistency in what we ask our DBs to do, or has it been all over the place like our front 7?
Well it’s an elite scheme, effort based determined by ATL.

You figure it out.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Effort based.

But seriously we basically run a nickle based cover 3 shell either out of the 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 depending. we also run a bit of cover 2 man or cover 2 base. When we are dropping 8 into coverage we are typically runing a cover 6 concept with boundary corner covering short and rolling nickle into deep third. I actually think this is part of our problem in coverage these types of zone schemes require a lot of communication about where receievers are passign through zones and such often results in a miss comm and a wide open guy. Our second problem is we often press to zone and then get out run when corners are covering deep thirds. This is happened to swilling a good amount.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We run a lot of Cov 3, Cov 1, and his Cov 0 Robber which probably was our worst executed defense.

Murph does an ok job here explaining some it

Go back watch Pitt and see how this defense was destroyed Pitt for a deep bomb
de2ef491575c7f7d1ea740bfc48b46f5_crop_exact.png

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
We run a lot of Cov 3, Cov 1, and his Cov 0 Robber which probably was our worst executed defense.

The title of that first video though🥴

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans are in their feelings. So Collins just suddenly forget how to coach and his scheme worked at FIU, MSU, UF, & Temple but not here?
I mean, he hasn’t shown it here. At all. If you think the man can coach from what we have seen the last 3 seasons then idk where you’re coming from. I really don’t care what he did at previous stops. I haven’t seen any of that translate to my favorite team.

I’d love if he flipped his switch and showed some good coaching this season.

So far his signature moves are, historic losses, wasting timeouts (at least once per game), dodging questions and dapping up his players.

Nahhh, I’m just in my feelings tho.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans are in their feelings. So Collins just suddenly forget how to coach and his scheme worked at FIU, MSU, UF, & Temple but not here?
We seem to have guys like Collins that supposedly have been able to coach other places, but come to GT and go flat. Why is that? I'm assuming you're not insinuating he's done a good job here.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Did we ever successfully run a robber all year?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cpj - bend and dont break till i tell u - he fired several dc. Iirc We had new dc s but the same position coaches. Why where they scared ?

On defense Collins just fired the position coaches that were supposed to get the players to run the defense. Thats his solution at this point.

Imo, he failed to hold his subordinates FOR NOT IMPROVING in year 2. This wasted year 3 .

But thacker did get better at letting lots of people get to run out on the field - which he and thacker think is vital. Got to give max effort is true.
But first you need a group that knows what to do. Imo, Collins is responsible for getting this backwards.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
3-3-5...
Tough we don't have big guys on the DL to spell...,we experimented with 4-2-5 but...

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Imo, he failed to hold his subordinates FOR NOT IMPROVING in year 2. This wasted year 3 .

But thacker did get better at letting lots of people get to run out on the field - which he and thacker think is vital. Got to give max effort is true.
But first you need a group that knows what to do. Imo, Collins is responsible for getting this backwards.
A whole lot of this!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I mean, he hasn’t shown it here. At all. If you think the man can coach from what we have seen the last 3 seasons then idk where you’re coming from. I really don’t care what he did at previous stops. I haven’t seen any of that translate to my favorite team.

I’d love if he flipped his switch and showed some good coaching this season.

So far his signature moves are, historic losses, wasting timeouts (at least once per game), dodging questions and dapping up his players.

Nahhh, I’m just in my feelings tho.

So if it hasn’t translated is that entirely on the coaches?