Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
That guy still haunts my dreams. Nothing worse than seeing a giant among men run through everyone and catch over everyone and there isn’t a damn thing to stop it
Logan Thomas, 6’6” Virginia Tech QB, brings back memories like that for me. A few times it looked like it took the whole GT defense to get that guy on the ground.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Logan Thomas, 6’6” Virginia Tech QB, brings back memories like that for me. A few times it looked like it took the whole GT defense to get that guy on the ground.

Even an Attaochu punch couldn't get him down, but did give VT a first down after we had stopped them on 3rd and long.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the first half against UVA the other night. It really looked like we were about to beat them down. Then you really start to feel that turn that GT fans are used to feeling. We lose a few opportunities to score knowing we need every single one. Here’s to hoping we’ve learned to bury them when we have the chance.
Are you the rhino with three first team all American honors or just a fan of said player?

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at that game, and I truly believe without this penalty, we had the momentum and might have ended up winning. Oh well.

I still love Attaochu as a player.
It's insane how much this one play turned the game around. I think we win the game if this doesn't happen. I also get his frustration. Thomas has like 50 yards on QB sneaks.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
It's insane how much this one play turned the game around. I think we win the game if this doesn't happen. I also get his frustration. Thomas has like 50 yards on QB sneaks.
Ah yes....the infamous QB sneak game. I remember watching that one and was really put in my feels when the commentator said that VPISU was in QB sneak territory on a 3rd and 5.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe it's this Rhino. Note his account is a verified GT Athlete.

If it is indeed Kelley I am thankful that he survived to adulthood. That dude was fearless in fielding punts and would scare the bejeezus out of me on more than 1 occasion. I don't recall ever seeing him fair catch a punt. If I were a punt returner i would raise my hand upon the snap of the ball. In fact i might trot onto the field with my hand raised. :)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think Randy is a chiropractor in Marietta and works with the team. Great memories of him running back punts. He ran through arm tackles and usually made the first guy miss.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I hope Randy is retired by now.
He is late sixties now. He was learning how to become a chiropractor the same time and place as the one I use in research triangle park. My chiropractor played at Ohio State. He actually told me that Randy was a chiropractor.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If it is indeed Kelley I am thankful that he survived to adulthood. That dude was fearless in fielding punts and would scare the bejeezus out of me on more than 1 occasion. I don't recall ever seeing him fair catch a punt. If I were a punt returner i would raise my hand upon the snap of the ball. In fact i might trot onto the field with my hand raised. :)

He remains one of my favorite GT players of all time. Watching him field a punt was a breathtaking experience.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ah. The Turkies might say we got our own back in 2018. Let's take a look:

Now after watching that I sure do wish somebody could tell me why Tobias ended up as a DB instead of an RB? The only person on the Tech team in the last three years who put in a running performance like that was Gibbs. But … Collins didn't recruit him so I suppose he couldn't do what he did best to help us win. I wish I had a better explanation, but …

Update: Well, it could have been because he liked Mason better that first year. Have to be fair here. Then Gibbs put an end to the question.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He remains one of my favorite GT players of all time. Watching him field a punt was a breathtaking experience.

His son Kelley was maybe 5'5-5'6...one of the most fearless return guys I can remember. I don't think he ever fair caught a punt, and never in my memory dropped one.