Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
500 yards? That red haired boy was a latter day Archie Manning, if he is the one I am thinking about. Coach Collins will look back at that season and think that moment when we could have scored a TD instead of the field goal was when the 3-3 record and a chance to get to a bowl went out the window. As a poster pointed out should have been 4-2 but for the Northern Illinois debacle and could have been even 5-1 if a lineman makes a block on the goal at the end of the Clemson game. Win those three games and it is a different scenario for Collins.

I as a fan deflated after NIU, got pulled back in with Clemson and UNC and then just watched listless the rest of the year.

GTBlaze

Banned
Hate to say this but he looked defeated in ACC Media Days. Not sure if this is a fake front he is putting on but he looks and sounds defeated already

GT33

Helluva Engineer
ultimately this means nothing to me and seems to largely be an attempt to regain some goodwill from boomer fans that hate anything that isn’t “old school gritty football”. the fact that this even needed to be said illustrates how the vast majority of our fanbase is grumpy old men who will stop at nothing to complain about anything

we didn’t lose because we had slogans on t shirts or because the coach liked waffle house. we had an OC that sucked, our upperclassmen DBs didn’t run plays that were being called, our right side of the line was horrendous and we didn’t have a p5 backup qb on the roster. that being said, all of these are the responsibility of collins so he is by no means off the hook

i hope the team is better and maybe the less hype just football messaging will get across but there are far more important issues than social media/promotion/hype that need to be addressed. thankfully we have remedied or attempted to remedy some of the aforementioned issues so i feel much better about this season
It could be you're too youthful to grasp the complexity of what it takes to make a large organization successful, but it comes down to basics like blocking & tackling. Practice, hard work, planning, being organized. You spend your time perfecting dance routines, taking muscle flexing pictures, planning out stuff like pumping iron before the game on the sidelines, running disorganized chaotic practices, etc and you're so far away from focusing on the basics it's not even funny. You get what we got.

What if instead all that nonsense never happened & the OL spent 200 extra reps perfecting their footwork and hand work so they didn't whiff on blocks repetitively or the DBs spent an extra 30 mins a day in the film room diagnosing failures so they knew who was supposed to cover the WRs running right past them or we worked on how to get plays from the booth to the field in a timely manner so the team knew what play we were runig or what defense they were supposed to be in. You know, the crap us old farts care about. The things that put you into position to win games.

Every coach has to balance priorities. Ours thought if he could cheer his way to wins, that would be a successful path. I'm not sure that's worked anywhere, ever. I can speak for myself, if your team loses because the talent gap is too wide or you had a critical mistake once in a while that caused us to implode, I'm not happy but we gave it all we got. We would have played a solid game & had a chance. Next week will probably be better. I can accept that. What I can't accept is goofing around, acting like morons on the field while we're getting our butts kicked due to missed assignments. Games we could have had a chance to win or should have won, we really had no shot. That's a 100% leadership issue and only 1 man owns that. For me he's out of chances. He either starts running a football team or I'll vote with my feet until someone does what they should have done already.

JacketFan137

Banned
It could be you're too youthful to grasp the complexity of what it takes to make a large organization successful, but it comes down to basics like blocking & tackling. Practice, hard work, planning, being organized. You spend your time perfecting dance routines, taking muscle flexing pictures, planning out stuff like pumping iron before the game on the sidelines, running disorganized chaotic practices, etc and you're so far away from focusing on the basics it's not even funny. You get what we got.

What if instead all that nonsense never happened & the OL spent 200 extra reps perfecting their footwork and hand work so they didn't whiff on blocks repetitively or the DBs spent an extra 30 mins a day in the film room diagnosing failures so they knew who was supposed to cover the WRs running right past them or we worked on how to get plays from the booth to the field in a timely manner so the team knew what play we were runig or what defense they were supposed to be in. You know, the crap us old farts care about. The things that put you into position to win games.

Every coach has to balance priorities. Ours thought if he could cheer his way to wins, that would be a successful path. I'm not sure that's worked anywhere, ever. I can speak for myself, if your team loses because the talent gap is too wide or you had a critical mistake once in a while that caused us to implode, I'm not happy but we gave it all we got. We would have played a solid game & had a chance. Next week will probably be better. I can accept that. What I can't accept is goofing around, acting like morons on the field while we're getting our butts kicked due to missed assignments. Games we could have had a chance to win or should have won, we really had no shot. That's a 100% leadership issue and only 1 man owns that. For me he's out of chances. He either starts running a football team or I'll vote with my feet until someone does what they should have done already.
yeah this is pretty ridiculous and filled with assumptions you’ve presented as facts. you don’t know what the practices looked like unless you were there and unless you are secretly filming them from the top of one of the skyscrapers in atlanta or hiding in an air vent in the weight room i don’t think you would have any idea what is truly going on.

just because you are older and the younger generation rubs you the wrong way for whatever reason doesn’t mean that collins is just a cheerleader and not having the team practice hard.

collins has proven to be a poor gameday coach and has lost games. i do not think he is a great coach and frankly some of the results are indefensible. that being said some of these kinds of criticism just really come down to opinions and assumptions that frankly have no evidence

JacketFan137

Banned
@JacketFan137 You've obviously watched zero videos of our practices, listened to Collins or the coordinators/position coaches describe our practices, etc. Keep carrying the hypey flag my good man. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now & again.
you’ve made some pretty hefty accusations to collins and provided literally zero evidence lol

burden of proof is on you my guy. i’m not carrying any flag i just think we need to be fair with whoever we criticize. collins has made enough coaching gaffs to criticize i’m not sure why we have old men fabricating narratives because they’re out of touch

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
500 yards? That red haired boy was a latter day Archie Manning, if he is the one I am thinking about. Coach Collins will look back at that season and think that moment when we could have scored a TD instead of the field goal was when the 3-3 record and a chance to get to a bowl went out the window. As a poster pointed out should have been 4-2 but for the Northern Illinois debacle and could have been even 5-1 if a lineman makes a block on the goal at the end of the Clemson game. Win those three games and it is a different scenario for Collins.
He does say this in his pressers that we're almost there this helps that point

GT33

Helluva Engineer
you’ve made some pretty hefty accusations to collins and provided literally zero evidence lol

burden of proof is on you my guy. i’m not carrying any flag i just think we need to be fair with whoever we criticize. collins has made enough coaching gaffs to criticize i’m not sure why we have old men fabricating narratives because they’re out of touch
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because of your extreme youthfulness, but you really can't be following the team if you believe any of the above.

Year 1: Easter bunnies and dancing at practices. Focus on fun. DJ running non-stop.

There's not a meeting you don't walk into there's not blaring music. Coaches jumping around, coaches dancing with you.

They ran 45 plays in 11 mins. That's a play every 15 secs. That's not coaching. They had a one-man dance off with student volunteers. DJ's, game of thrones crowns, etc.

Waffle House, Morpheus and the awakening of Georgia Tech
Geoff Collins is determined to use the fertile recruiting ground of Atlanta to bring Georgia Tech back. And he's going to have a lot of fun doing it.
Read Now

This was 2 years ago- dodgeball & kickball.

This is football, not some Google gaggle of pointy headed nerds eating fudgesickles and munching on chicken nuggets to concot some internet app. These guys need to play physical, smart football not perfect their favorite dance move.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I have not witnessed a single practice during CGC’s tenure, so I cannot speak with authority. All I can attest to is the fact that the guy who sits next to me at games has a son who was on the team the past 2 years. He said his son had expressed the opinion that if CGC spent more time at practice coaching the team up and less time trying to be everyone’s buddy, the team would be better. Hopefully this is the year that happens and we all forget the past 3 years!

slugboy

Staff member
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because of your extreme youthfulness, but you really can't be following the team if you believe any of the above.

Year 1: Easter bunnies and dancing at practices. Focus on fun. DJ running non-stop.

There's not a meeting you don't walk into there's not blaring music. Coaches jumping around, coaches dancing with you.

They ran 45 plays in 11 mins. That's a play every 15 secs. That's not coaching. They had a one-man dance off with student volunteers. DJ's, game of thrones crowns, etc.

Geoff Collins is determined to use the fertile recruiting ground of Atlanta to bring Georgia Tech back. And he's going to have a lot of fun doing it.
Read Now

This is football, not some Google gaggle of pointy headed nerds eating fudgesickles and munching on chicken nuggets to concot some internet app. These guys need to play physical, smart football not perfect their favorite dance move.

UGA had a fun day last year, and won a national championship. As far as I know, most teams have a “blow off steam” day or two in their spring practice. Bobby Dodd had volleyball. Don’t overemphasize how big of a deal that kickball day is—everyone does it.

It’s the “general high energy and fun” practices that are different. Collins said he got away from that this spring

JacketFan137

Banned

Read Now

these largely sound like the ramblings of a bitter old man yelling to get off his lawn. i can understand that you may not like it and frankly i don’t like it either, but to narrow down any shortcomings we have to things like that demonstrate the inability to articulate why we have struggled at football.

some of your accusations make zero sense lol. 45 plays in 11 minutes is a pretty solid pace of play and would be faster than the vast majority of offenses would in an actual game. going faster just to satisfy grumpy is genuinely harmful to the team as you’re leaving significantly less time to coach.

you clearly ignored the source you used to talk about kickball as it literally says “AFTER THEIR WORKOUT”. as in this was a team bonding activity they did. this was also during the middle of covid so sorry the team did something fun in a time where the whole world was hurting. i guess collins should have just moped and yelled like a crotchety old man.

i’m not saying you have to like this stuff cause frankly based on your replies i don’t think you ever would like anything like that but these are hardly the things to criticize collins for and reflect far more on personal gripes than actual football

JacketFan137

Banned
UGA had a fun day last year, and won a national championship. As far as I know, most teams have a “blow off steam” day or two in their spring practice. Bobby Dodd had volleyball. Don’t overemphasize how big of a deal that kickball day is—everyone does it.

It’s the “general high energy and fun” practices that are different. Collins said he got away from that this spring
every summer videos surface around this time of saban taking players out on the boat and going tubing and stuff. richt used to do that high dive with the players, you see teams go bowling or wear goofy outfits to workouts and these are SUCCESFUL teams doing these things too. i think some people underestimate how important it is for the coach to be someone the players bond with.

has collins tipped the scale too far and been too buddy buddy? i could see that. i just feel like the push back from our fans are older generation fans that want the football coach to be a drill sergeant and i’m not sure the players would respond to that lol

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
ultimately this means nothing to me and seems to largely be an attempt to regain some goodwill from boomer fans that hate anything that isn’t “old school gritty football”. the fact that this even needed to be said illustrates how the vast majority of our fanbase is grumpy old men who will stop at nothing to complain about anything

we didn’t lose because we had slogans on t shirts or because the coach liked waffle house. we had an OC that sucked, our upperclassmen DBs didn’t run plays that were being called, our right side of the line was horrendous and we didn’t have a p5 backup qb on the roster. that being said, all of these are the responsibility of collins so he is by no means off the hook

i hope the team is better and maybe the less hype just football messaging will get across but there are far more important issues than social media/promotion/hype that need to be addressed. thankfully we have remedied or attempted to remedy some of the aforementioned issues so i feel much better about this season
I paraphrased CGC... Hype does not equal preparation. Blowing the Citadel game due some poor coaching and clock management was literally the beginning of the results of the hype machine being run a overdrive. No way we should have lost that game, solely based on the talent difference alone, but we did. I have STILL have season tickets, donate to GTAA, and buy/wear/fly GT paraphernalia, so I am not a fair weather fan.

The best marketing the CGC can do to the public and the fans is winning the few games we will be favored, win a couple of the ones the we are not tagged to get stomped, and look like we have a clue in ALL of the games even when we are simply out talented.
You are correct that we had some poor coaching on both sides of the ball and that having the staff make over should help... especially on offense.

I've seen as much if not more BMC (b!tching moaning complaining) from those under 50, i.e. not a Boomer, than the "older"/ "grumpy old men" crowd.

I will agree that some will still complain even if we pull off 8 wins this year against one of the 5 toughest schedules in FBS football this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

+1 ... We'll up until "voting with my feet". We can't stop supporting GTAA if we want to see improvement. W/o $ we will even be worse.