Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
Watched the UVA rerun tonight long enough to get a quick refresher on last season. So we’re 3-3 going into that game, should have been 4-2, up early and driving again. Dropped pass for 1st down, possibly another TD, settle for FG. Sims tossed an intercept, they have a receiver wide open for TD, etc etc.

We could have taken complete control of the game, another big win like UNC. OL issues aside, we apparently had enough talent on the field to win. We scored 40 pts, although a bunch at the end after it was too late, lost by 8.

Seven new coaches, better execution?
I rewatched the first half against UVA the other night. It really looked like we were about to beat them down. Then you really start to feel that turn that GT fans are used to feeling. We lose a few opportunities to score knowing we need every single one. Here’s to hoping we’ve learned to bury them when we have the chance.

JacketFan137

Banned
I rewatched the first half against UVA the other night. It really looked like we were about to beat them down. Then you really start to feel that turn that GT fans are used to feeling. We lose a few opportunities to score knowing we need every single one. Here’s to hoping we’ve learned to bury them when we have the chance.
our defense turned into wet toilet paper that game. if they could have just made one big stop later in the game we could have had a chance

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Chips on shoulders don't matter when your O and D lines are inferior.
Our Ol (17 listed) has 2 upperclass men and they are back ups.
Pitts entire starting and back ups o l are seniors.
When we got gibbs we went to portal to get older ol guys to start. Now they are gone.

We are definitely inferior in age.

If the 22 offense is good it will be due to Key, Long working together and the qb coach getting Sims to read defense and make ACCURATE passes on time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the 22 offense is good it will be due to Key, Long working together and the qb coach getting Sims to read defense and make ACCURATE passes on time.
I am expecting to see marked improvement on the O side even with all the youth and inexperience. I think it was a good career move on Long's part no matter what transpires this year. In my career, you wanted to be the guy who takes over when things are at the bottom rather than at the top. Imagine following Ralph Friedgen as the OC...there is not much upside to that gig.

JacketFan137

Banned
I am expecting to see marked improvement on the O side even with all the youth and inexperience. I think it was a good career move on Long's part no matter what transpires this year. In my career, you wanted to be the guy who takes over when things are at the bottom rather than at the top. Imagine following Ralph Friedgen as the OC...there is not much upside to that gig.
yeah long could bring us into the top 40 offenses and that would be such a marked improvement it’s an instant resume booster. i actually think we have a lot of pieces that with some good coaching could form a solid offense. blackburn, sims, dontae and mcduffie i think have crazy potential if we can put them in positions to succeed

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
yeah long could bring us into the top 40 offenses and that would be such a marked improvement it’s an instant resume booster. i actually think we have a lot of pieces that with some good coaching could form a solid offense. blackburn, sims, dontae and mcduffie i think have crazy potential if we can put them in positions to succeed
If he made such a quantum leap as you suggest he would have his choice of opportunities in '23 (hope he achieves it). I wish the pieces you mentioned though were linemen rather than skill guys. I think me, you and 3 other randomly selected individuals from this board could have moved the ball behind the '90 OL. When your backs are untouched until 5 yards past the LOS success is pretty easy to achieve. ;)

JacketFan137

Banned
If he made such a quantum leap as you suggest he would have his choice of opportunities in '23 (hope he achieves it). I wish the pieces you mentioned though were linemen rather than skill guys. I think me, you and 3 other randomly selected individuals from this board could have moved the ball behind the '90 OL. When your backs are untouched until 5 yards past the LOS success is pretty easy to achieve. ;)
i think the line is better for the same reasons lol. they were seriously so bad. the right side in particular. we should looked pretty improved overall

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
we lost one game to the coof and won one to forfieit. I say if the dwags don't want to count wins in ww2, we cna count that one as a win since the acc made concessions for us to play and they chickened out with the SEC.
And our record for the season was 3-7.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Didn't they have that tall receiver -#99?- that we just couldn't handle?
That guy still haunts my dreams. Nothing worse than seeing a giant among men run through everyone and catch over everyone and there isn’t a damn thing to stop it