Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Liked these comments -
"... the team trained in the offseason in plain-gray workout gear, a statement by not making a statement.". I.e. no Win21 or the ilk.
“We didn’t have logos,” Collins said. “We didn’t have flash. It was all about just getting in there and going to work.”

And from a player, "...Spring was different from (last) season. It’s just the mindset. The mindset that you must win. Not, ‘We should try to win this year.’ It’s winning. It’s about winning.”

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Liked these comments -
"... the team trained in the offseason in plain-gray workout gear, a statement by not making a statement.". I.e. no Win21 or the ilk.
“We didn’t have logos,” Collins said. “We didn’t have flash. It was all about just getting in there and going to work.”

And from a player, "...Spring was different from (last) season. It’s just the mindset. The mindset that you must win. Not, ‘We should try to win this year.’ It’s winning. It’s about winning.”

Music to my ears! I would love to see more “pissed off” and less frustrated. (y)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Liked these comments -

I don't question that they have a "chip on their shoulder" one would hope so after the two beatdowns to end last season. What are they going to do when Clemson or Ole Miss or UCF slaps that chip off their shoulder? It is imperative that this team play way above expectations the first three games of the year. Just win baby.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Watched the UVA rerun tonight long enough to get a quick refresher on last season. So we’re 3-3 going into that game, should have been 4-2, up early and driving again. Dropped pass for 1st down, possibly another TD, settle for FG. Sims tossed an intercept, they have a receiver wide open for TD, etc etc.

We could have taken complete control of the game, another big win like UNC. OL issues aside, we apparently had enough talent on the field to win. We scored 40 pts, although a bunch at the end after it was too late, lost by 8.

Seven new coaches, better execution?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Watched the UVA rerun tonight long enough to get a quick refresher on last season. So we’re 3-3 going into that game, should have been 4-2, up early and driving again. Dropped pass for 1st down, possibly another TD, settle for FG. Sims tossed an intercept, they have a receiver wide open for TD, etc etc.

We could have taken complete control of the game, another big win like UNC. OL issues aside, we apparently had enough talent on the field to win. We scored 40 pts, although a bunch at the end after it was too late, lost by 8.

Seven new coaches, better execution?
The gt defense let the uva qb get 500 yds. Let's hope the db and lb are better too.

Uva has 5th year sr qb and good receivers back but ol has less experience.

Imo, Uva is a must win for cgc

By way pitt has an all sr ol and dl room.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The gt defense let the uva qb get 500 yds. Let's hope the db and lb are better too.

Uva has 5th year sr qb and good receivers back but ol has less experience.

Imo, Uva is a must win for cgc

By way pitt has an all sr ol and dl room.

500 yards? That red haired boy was a latter day Archie Manning, if he is the one I am thinking about. Coach Collins will look back at that season and think that moment when we could have scored a TD instead of the field goal was when the 3-3 record and a chance to get to a bowl went out the window. As a poster pointed out should have been 4-2 but for the Northern Illinois debacle and could have been even 5-1 if a lineman makes a block on the goal at the end of the Clemson game. Win those three games and it is a different scenario for Collins.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Win the games your supposed to, and be competitive w a punchers chance in the ones your not. The last 3 years has not been fun to watch.
Its funny, but Coach Dooley had quite a career back in your day doing just that. Georgia would just about always beat Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, South Carolina, people like that and then be competitive in the big games like Tennessee, Auburn, and Florida often times winning in an upset.

JacketFan137

Banned
Liked these comments -

ultimately this means nothing to me and seems to largely be an attempt to regain some goodwill from boomer fans that hate anything that isn’t “old school gritty football”. the fact that this even needed to be said illustrates how the vast majority of our fanbase is grumpy old men who will stop at nothing to complain about anything

we didn’t lose because we had slogans on t shirts or because the coach liked waffle house. we had an OC that sucked, our upperclassmen DBs didn’t run plays that were being called, our right side of the line was horrendous and we didn’t have a p5 backup qb on the roster. that being said, all of these are the responsibility of collins so he is by no means off the hook

i hope the team is better and maybe the less hype just football messaging will get across but there are far more important issues than social media/promotion/hype that need to be addressed. thankfully we have remedied or attempted to remedy some of the aforementioned issues so i feel much better about this season