Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
6-6 is bare minimum outside of excessive injuries.

And its already happened.
The whole DL is injured by graduation.
(We have a dl of like 2 juniors, 3 soph, the rest are freshmen.) The qb that coach played every game is gone to graduation injury.

Here comes your eye thing.

6-6 is a good year if the guys play hard and get better. Even 5-7 with strong improvement ok.

Will see how they play and how cgc coaches

Animal02

Banned
(We have a dl of like 2 juniors, 3 soph, the rest are freshmen.) The qb that coach played every game is gone to graduation injury.

6-6 is a good year if the guys play hard and get better. Even 5-7 with strong improvement ok.

Will see how they play.
Nope.....graduation is NOT injuries..... lowering the bar again :rolleyes:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Many posts seem to assume Tech is a closed system. It isn’t. Winning 6 games, or 8, or more is as much dependent on what happens at other programs as much as it is at Tech.

In other words, it is relative.

Tennessee, for example, knows it can’t win the SEC East every year. They can only win it win UGA and FLA have down years. That’s what ultimately led to Butch Jones ouster. When they were supposed to win the East, they bled out .

Tech will probably “roll” seasons. They’ll go 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, 10-2 ... and repeat.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Given that actual football minds are saying the transition won't be as big of a hurdle as some of you are making it out to be ... I'm going with be bowl eligible next year. Maybe a slight drop in 2020 due to scheduling (will be mad but not ready to throw in towel if we win 5). 8+ in 2021 and beyond.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Nope.....graduation is NOT injuries..... lowering the bar again :rolleyes:

I hate to speak for @iceeater1969, but I think he is speaking figuratively. Graduation "injures" your team in the short term in that you lose experienced players, just like Josh Okogie going to the NBA after his sophomore year "injured" our men's basketball team. In the long term, both are great for your program, and the more players you graduate — or send to the pros — the better. In the short term, unless you have a full pipeline of players ready to step in, it can cause problems.

Probably why TStan gave CGC a 7 year contract instead of the standard 5 year for a new coach. I don't think the roster is depleted, but I do think all the pieces he needs and transitioning positions like 13 RBs and run first QBs out of the system will take time. He also needs to find guys that fit his scheme defensively and offensively.

GT should make a bowl next season. That's my floor...making bowls isn't what it use to be.

This is known as a self-inflicted wound

We could have transitioned the roster a little bit quicker, but "we're GT we can do things in the way that inflicts the most harm to ourselves"

Either you're all in, or you're half-steppin', if we really wanna catch UGA, Clemson, et al, we got go to edge of the line in the NCAA Rule Book, and the when we get to that line, we have to learn how to tiptoe in the gray areas of the Rule Book and avoid major violations like the Big Boys do

A few self-reported minor things doesn't hurt those guys and it shouldn't hurt us either

Gotta play to win the game

Given that actual football minds are saying the transition won't be as big of a hurdle as some of you are making it out to be ... I'm going with be bowl eligible next year. Maybe a slight drop in 2020 due to scheduling (will be mad but not ready to throw in towel if we win 5). 8+ in 2021 and beyond.

Did those FB minds see our game vs. Minnesota, and see how much bigger & faster Minnesota was?

The transition is gonna be rough, especially when you take away our main advantage of the recent past, that was diving at the other guys knees and threatening their FB futures with serious injury, now we're gonna play clean traditional CFB

Will see how they play and how cgc coaches

I can live with 5-7:

as long as we play like all our players take "the Calculus" (i.e. play smart)

hustle like hell

play physical FB bordering on brutal, just within the lines of the rule book

Show subtle improvement in every game such that gm12 shows a huge increase in improvement over gm1

I'll take that for yr1

You are the only one that can live 5-7 not me.

Gotta look at the cards he's been dealt

How good is our OLine once you take away dirty cut-blocking and going after guys knees?

How good are our QBs and what kind of arm talent do they have, can we pass 25 times per game with those guys we have?

Whose gonna play LB, we had tackling issues due to lack of athleticism, they aren't gonna improve that much in 1 off-season, gotta get better players there

CBs play too soft, and the guys behind them got beat out by the guys that play too soft and give huge cushions

WR's IMO none are P5 WRs, and if they are I'd rank our WR group in the Bottom 1/5 of the P5

No TEs, gotta thank the Off. Genius for that

Where are all those undersized ABs gonna play since TStan gave them "protected status" and wouldn't let Coach G process em ' as he saw fit, you can't just take former smallish HS RBs and say go play Slot-WR on the P5 level

At this point we have more ??? than answers, that's why I say I'll take the 5-7

Give Coach G our 2008 Roster and I'd be expecting 10 wins, too bad certain HCs don't leave the cupboard full on their way out the door

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Started to post this on the Brent Key thread. Which is off topic onto Dabo/Clemson somehow. Thought it would be less off topic here:

For years Dabo was called a clown by many of the all knowing here.

The schtick looked a lot sillier when Clemson was going 6-7. If you're a character and you win everyone loves it. If you're a character and you lose you're just a fool. I think we may see some of that if CGC doesn't have quick results. I think he's going to have to back his big talk with big wins pretty quickly or the Atlanta media (and Tech fans) are going to skewer him.

Also, while Dabo is an excellent coach, most specifically recruiter/motivator/leader. IMHO, Dabo gets too much credit and D-Rad gets too little. The Clemson program didn't really take off until D-Rad arrived in 2012 and upgraded the resources Dabo had to work with:

upload_2019-1-8_14-51-12.png

upload_2019-1-8_14-51-32.png

If we want CGC to emulate even a shadow of Dabos success. We need to give him the resources to do so. I think TStan understands that. As fans, we need to contribute our time (show up), voices (be vocal/visible in supporting Tech), and money (Buy tickets, buy gear, donate direct).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we want CGC to emulate even a shadow of Dabos success. We need to give him the resources to do so. I think TStan understands that. As fans, we need to contribute our time (show up), voices (be vocal/visible in supporting Tech), and money (Buy tickets, buy gear, donate direct).

This is true. We also have to consider how effective our fundraising is. A quick look at Clemson ...

IPTAY supports and represents all of Clemson's various sports, is responsible for seat and parking assignments for football games, etc. Getting good seats through IPTAY is an expensive proposition - the club generates a surprising amount of revenue. IPTAY is also responsible for various booster and team-spirit events and promotions, such as the "Solid Orange" drive. IPTAY is the largest collegiate booster club in the nation with many tens of thousands of members.

That's the big difference. Tech has no significant fund raising operation on a scale that matches the better performing teams. TStan needs to shake up fundraising on a scale never been done before at Tech. He's working it ... but it will probably be 10 years before we feel it.

You are talking them down when you say the cupboard is bare. Parker Braun is a certain draft pick barring injury next year. Other guys have the ability to play themselves into draft picks. Disagree? If not the cupboard isn’t bare.

I agree CPJ inherited a better group than CGC appears to be inheriting. 2007 team lost a lot of All Conf players as eligibility expired. Gardner and Vance Walker looked like certain future draft picks. Michael Johnson looked to have that ability after playing behind Adam Oliver on the 2nd team. A lot of the rest of the guys drafted later were still unknown commodities heading into 2008 even if promising players.

Next year we have two players that appear to have futures in the NFL. We also have a lot of players with potential to play their way into selections in the future the same way Dwyer, Morgan, Burnett, and Beybey did. Namely Christian Campbell, Benson, Cottrell, Cooper, Camp, and Adams. We have some young freshmen and sophomores that look very promising for our future.

Not a bare cupboard even if not as full as 2008.

2008 we had to completely rebuild the OL and implement an entirely new scheme. QB was a big question mark. There was a lot of doom and gloom about our prospects on offense.
I don't understand this argument about CPJ's winning %. EVERY team (with the exception of ND and Texas) plays FCS schools... So it's stupid to asterisk his winning % with that.

And guys like Alexander and Heisman played schools that are now D3.

This past season Stanford played 11-P5 teams and 1-G5 teams

if CPJ scheduled like that on a yearly basis, his win % would be right at .500

I think patience on the field will be bought if there are several good recruiting classes being brought in. Mind you, Purdue gave Jeff Brohm a raise to $6 million per year (with incentives) after a 6-6 season. Sounds ridiculous until you see that Purdue's recruiting class is currently ranked 25th. Purdue's 5 previous recruiting classes were ranked 70th (2014), 67th (2015), 80th (2016), 72nd (2017), and 51st (2018). I am personally most excited about seeing what Collins and his staff can do on the recruiting trail. Big recruiting wins are almost as exciting as actual wins.

You left out the fact that Indiana HS FB is garbage compared to GA, so Coach G has a leg up on most guys like Brohm in trying to bring in better (Top25) classes, I think we'll get a few Top15 classes with Coach G

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Started to post this on the Brent Key thread. Which is off topic onto Dabo/Clemson somehow. Thought it would be less off topic here:

The schtick looked a lot sillier when Clemson was going 6-7. If you're a character and you win everyone loves it. If you're a character and you lose you're just a fool. I think we may see some of that if CGC doesn't have quick results. I think he's going to have to back his big talk with big wins pretty quickly or the Atlanta media (and Tech fans) are going to skewer him.

Also, while Dabo is an excellent coach, most specifically recruiter/motivator/leader. IMHO, Dabo gets too much credit and D-Rad gets too little. The Clemson program didn't really take off until D-Rad arrived in 2012 and upgraded the resources Dabo had to work with:

View attachment 4956

View attachment 4957

Tahj Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, Martavius Bryant, Andre Ellington, Vic Beasley, Grady Jarrett and a slew of other ultra talented players were there before DRad showed up. They were already well on their way to becoming a force. Not that improved facilities didn't help, but Dabo already had the wheels in motion.