Collins’ salary 56th among FBS coaches USA Today Report

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys worry too much about Tech's finances. I saw this morning we are ranked 65th by some College Football Ranking site. So being the 56th highest-paid coach puts Collins in about the right spot. If Collins starts winning big, we will sell more tickets, generate more income and pay him and his staff bigger salaries. In the meantime, Tech has enough generous, well-funded alumni who love the football program, that we will never be at risk financially. It's always been that way and will always be that way. If the wussies running our government don't decide to cancel our beloved, somewhat violent sport, things will be fine.

Go Jackets!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Collins brought a lot of his Temple staff with him. They agreed to the offers they got. It's not like he went out and rebuilt his entire staff with a defined budget. He managed to get some former jackets to come. If he ever manages to have a big year he will get to renegotiate his contract regardless of how dismal prior seasons have gone. It's the nature of college football.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
.....With so many complaining about the jobs of the coaches, why are we complaining about their pay? There weren't many wanting to take on this rebuild even if we threw out a ton of money in contracts we probably couldn't really afford.

We are getting a lot out of the Collins experience right now and we have seen more of a commitment towards the program. I hope Collins turns it around, but it is hard to say. I think the worst thing we can do is fire him until after year 5. We will have a full solidly recruited program that won't be such a drastic turnover as what Collins faced.
Such a funny phrase that is often thrown around. Since when is a 7 win team a rebuild? If the trend from the first two seasons continues, it will actually be a rebuild next year.

Hopefully not though, we are seeing flashes now, just gotta put it all together for a season. And I agree with most of what you are saying here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How does this denigrate our team?

Fact we have a staff with near zero P5 coaching experience. Fact we pay our staff at the bottom level in the ACC and of all P5 teams. Does the on field performance reflect a coaching staff that has little to no experience at the P5 level? I believe the inconsistency we show is reflected as a result of the coaching staff's inexperience. Hopefully the staff will mature and develop as they gain experience.

If we don't solve our revenue problem we will always be dealing with this problem.
I agree with everything except the highlighted section. When you have young, inexperienced players at key positions and almost no experienced depth, you see what you see on the field. I don't blame the coaches for most of this. I don't blame the players either, as the only thing that will improve the experience is experience. Anyone who has any understanding of what it takes to build a program understands this.

I'm not carte blanche washing away the "WFT" moments the coaches appear to have, but even extremely experienced coaches have those moments. I'm all for them becoming less and less. Obviously, I own that the above is my opinion. I'm not trying to squash yours, just think that narrative is wrong and doesn't do anything to bolster our team.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You guys worry too much about Tech's finances. I saw this morning we are ranked 65th by some College Football Ranking site. So being the 56th highest-paid coach puts Collins in about the right spot. If Collins starts winning big, we will sell more tickets, generate more income and pay him and his staff bigger salaries. In the meantime, Tech has enough generous, well-funded alumni who love the football program, that we will never be at risk financially. It's always been that way and will always be that way. If the wussies running our government don't decide to cancel our beloved, somewhat violent sport, things will be fine.

Go Jackets!
You miss the part where our football staff is the lowest paid in the ACC and 3rd lowest of all P5 Conference teams. That is the reason our staff is so inexperienced at the P5 level.

Do you believe there is a difference in P5-G5-FCS? If so this does matter.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Jeff Monken will be the answer after Collins for you all. With the way we are dying to get back to the option, we are becoming an upgraded Georgia Southern (who should have never moved up in divisions anyway). Transitioning to a modern-day team is a rebuild. Period. Our talent wasn't there. We just think of the Jon Dwyer/Nesbitt years. Literally, every single sports outlet calls it. Look, I loved CPJ and he was an amazing coach. But, if we continue to complain about coaching pay, lack of institution buy-in and alumni support, none of these bull boo-hoo arguments matter.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is the total amount given to CGC and his assts the most in total in GT history. I'm pretty sure the amount being given to the FB program has never been higher.

The simple fact is in terms of P5 college football teams, GT is one of the smaller both in terms of size of the school/fanbase and the amount of money spent on the prorgam. That is unlikely to change much. GT just has to figure out how to do the best it possibly can with less. In the 21st Century GT has always been below the median of P5 schools in terms of budget.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Is the total amount given to CGC and his assts the most in total in GT history. I'm pretty sure the amount being given to the FB program has never been higher.

The simple fact is in terms of P5 college football teams, GT is one of the smaller both in terms of size of the school/fanbase and the amount of money spent on the prorgam. That is unlikely to change much. GT just has to figure out how to do the best it possibly can with less. In the 21st Century GT has always been below the median of P5 schools in terms of budget.
All true, however below median is not the same as bottom 3 in P5.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
All true, however below median is not the same as bottom 3 in P5.
In 2016 we were only ahead of Wake in spending in all of P5. Fact of the matter is that GT has been underfunded for years, and it continues to be the case. Not every team that spends in the top 10 are top 10 teams, but you can see a correlation between the perennial top teams and the ones who spend more.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In 2016 we were only ahead of Wake in spending in all of P5. Fact of the matter is that GT has been underfunded for years, and it continues to be the case. Not every team that spends in the top 10 are top 10 teams, but you can see a correlation between the perennial top teams and the ones who spend more.
We didn’t pay for an OC in 2016. This is a long term problem for us.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Defining a "rebuild" by the number of wins the previous year is absurdly reductive
In a world where things don't get turned around and we let CGC go, what would the sports world call GT after several seasons below .500?

If you want to call it a transition, fine, but to me, rebuilding means (in the sports world) fixing a broken team. Tech was certainly not broken.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This we updated at the end of 2018 before Collins took over https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html
61. Georgia Tech, $17.38 million

Paul Johnson uses the triple-option as a talent equalizer and it helps him deal with a financial inequality as well. Georgia Tech has the second-smallest athletic budget in the country, though it does devote a good chunk of it to football.

The Yellow Jackets have played in bowl games in 19 of the past 20 seasons.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In a world where things don't get turned around and we let CGC go, what would the sports world call GT after several seasons below .500?

If you want to call it a transition, fine, but to me, rebuilding means (in the sports world) fixing a broken team. Tech was certainly not broken.
People are calling Clemson a rebuild this year, and they were just in the playoffs. I don’t really think we need to get so attached to the word “rebuild”.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow

Collins, if he doesn't win, is recruiting talent. He's trying to build bodies on the line just as O'Leary said to. As much as we hated Gailey, he left a lot of talent for the next head coach CPJ. Your definition of a rebuild is different than most of us. The "sports world" is giving us the benefit of the doubt in a new coach and scheme.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Collins, if he doesn't win, is recruiting talent. He's trying to build bodies on the line just as O'Leary said to. As much as we hated Gailey, he left a lot of talent for the next head coach CPJ. Your definition of a rebuild is different than most of us. The "sports world" is giving us the benefit of the doubt in a new coach and scheme.
Well there will certainly be two 4* DT's in this recruiting cycle (when was the last time, if ever, Tech has had that?). There's no argument against CGC's recruiting prowess. I was talking more about perception.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Such a funny phrase that is often thrown around. Since when is a 7 win team a rebuild? If the trend from the first two seasons continues, it will actually be a rebuild next year.

Hopefully not though, we are seeing flashes now, just gotta put it all together for a season. And I agree with most of what you are saying here.
Because every college coach knew changing from the 3O was going to be very difficult and most didn’t want to deal with it.