College Playoff Rankings

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And there you have it, sports fans: the reason why we will go to an 8 team playoff next year!

And good thing too. Should have been 8 teams from the gitgo with conference champs and a couple of shoe-ins. If necessary, the schools could take the schedules down to 11 games to make it work. That shouldn't get anyone too upset and it'll make the whole business a lot more representative.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with OSU ahead of either Big 12 team when confined to 4 choices. The problem isn't the Big 12 or their lack of a playoff game, it is that ALL conference champs don't get a shot.

Every entrant is a conference champ this year. There really can't be any serious complaints in that scenario. Somebody HAD to be left out. If we recovered the OS kick and kicked a FG to win the ACCCG, it would have been us left out.
I agree they should only take conference champs. But I wonder what that would do to OOC schedules? Teams would no longer need to impress the polsters or committee members. There would be no more need for style points, SoS, quality wins, quality losses or head to head matchup comparisons, etc.

It would all boil down to conference record and tie breaker rules within each conference to determine divisional champs and then conference championship games to determine playoff spots.

Would teams have any reason to schedule compelling matchups outside their conference slate? Would all the traditional OOC rivalry games disappear? Not because they counted towards the playoff, but because coaches know it's hard getting their teams "up" week in and week out. Also, they know tough matchups take their toll physically and mentally.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And there you have it, sports fans: the reason why we will go to an 8 team playoff next year!

And good thing too. Should have been 8 teams from the gitgo with conference champs and a couple of shoe-ins. If necessary, the schools could take the schedules down to 11 games to make it work. That shouldn't get anyone too upset and it'll make the whole business a lot more representative.
Losing 1 game seems like no big deal on it's face, but it's a huge loss of revenue for teams left out of the playoff.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I agree they should only take conference champs. But I wonder what that would do to OOC schedules? Teams would no longer need to impress the polsters or committee members. There would be no more need for style points, SoS, quality wins, quality losses or head to head matchup comparisons, etc.

It would all boil down to conference record and tie breaker rules within each conference to determine divisional champs and then conference championship games to determine playoff spots.

Would teams have any reason to schedule compelling matchups outside their conference slate? Would all the traditional OOC rivalry games disappear? Not because they counted towards the playoff, but because coaches know it's hard getting their teams "up" week in and week out. Also, they know tough matchups take their toll physically and mentally.
I’m more and more not in favor of taking 8 OR only conference champs. I’ve never been a huge fan of only conference champs because it downplays any importance to OOC games. Taking 8 just seems too much to me for college football. The conference championship games are essentially playoff games anyways to an extent. Think about taking 8 teams this year. Does anyone really think Mich St and Miss St deserve a shot?

The biggest problem comes from having 5 major conferences and only 4 spots. That’s just moronic and why when they first started talking about doing a playoff system I thought 6 spots with the top 2 teams having byes would make the most sense. I think having a committee would work with this if there are certain definitive rules to guide them. If you win you’re conference and you’re in the Top 15, you should automatically get in. That’ll remove any BS of some 6-5 team in a crappy division pulling off an upset getting in the playoffs. Outside of that, the committee can kind of do what they’re doing. Also think the bye week for the top 2 helps keep the importance of the season in tact since teams will still want to go undefeated and have a tougher SOS to get the bye instead of just playing enough to get in the Top 6.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As it turns out, the 4 team playoff has worked pretty well. Every team in is a 1-loss or 0-loss conference champ. Imo, the top Big "12" teams are not excluded because they don't have a conference champ game or didn't submit a single champ but because they didn't have as strong a resume.

I think if we look at it in terms of who has a claim on being #1 rather than #4 than a lot of the controversy goes away.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have an issue with a conference championship not being a prerequisite to the playoff. While I don't like the committee, I don't want an 8 team playoff that everyone is pushing for. I could see six teams, the 5 power champs and 1 best of the rest conference champs/independent. If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't win the national. That's just my opinion though, and you know what they say about those.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
As it turns out, the 4 team playoff has worked pretty well. Every team in is a 1-loss or 0-loss conference champ. Imo, the top Big "12" teams are not excluded because they don't have a conference champ game or didn't submit a single champ but because they didn't have as strong a resume.

I think if we look at it in terms of who has a claim on being #1 rather than #4 than a lot of the controversy goes away.
That’s what sucks for Baylor though. If there was a conference championship in the BIG12, most likely the way the divisions would break down would’ve still been Baylor playing K State this past weekend for the conference championship. It just didn’t have that label.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have an issue with a conference championship not being a prerequisite to the playoff. While I don't like the committee, I don't want an 8 team playoff that everyone is pushing for. I could see six teams, the 5 power champs and 1 best of the rest conference champs/independent. If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't win the national. That's just my opinion though, and you know what they say about those.
A six team playoff could have included both Baylor and TCU.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

well, there's no guarantee that a team is going to win the conf. championship, so to be considered for a wildcard spot then you would need a strong SOS

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That’s what sucks for Baylor though. If there was a conference championship in the BIG12, most likely the way the divisions would break down would’ve still been Baylor playing K State this past weekend for the conference championship. It just didn’t have that label.

Their out of conference games were SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo. If they want respect, they need to schedule some out of conference games to earn respect.