College Playoff Rankings

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The ONLY playoff scenario is this: EVERY conference champion plays and ONLY conference champions play, regardless of record or national perception. We would need a play in game to get to 8. Let the committees exist to seed the brackets only. Anything else and it will be all spin and politics, just like it is now. If you are not a champion of your conference, don't even talk to me. I don't care if you think the Sun Belt champ would get waxed by the fourth place team of the SEC. The bottom line is we don't know until they play. If you can't come out of a season ahead of the rest of your conference foes, then why argue that you deserve to be a national champ? The only way I would back off this stance is if the field expanded like in basketball, maybe not to 64, but you get my drift.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The ONLY playoff scenario is this: EVERY conference champion plays and ONLY conference champions play, regardless of record or national perception. We would need a play in game to get to 8. Let the committees exist to seed the brackets only. Anything else and it will be all spin and politics, just like it is now. If you are not a champion of your conference, don't even talk to me. I don't care if you think the Sun Belt champ would get waxed by the fourth place team of the SEC. The bottom line is we don't know until they play. If you can't come out of a season ahead of the rest of your conference foes, then why argue that you deserve to be a national champ? The only way I would back off this stance is if the field expanded like in basketball, maybe not to 64, but you get my drift.
They would never do this because it would render the polls meaningless.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm just pissed about Wisconsin jumping us. They got more credit for a relatively close win over a terrible Purdue team than we did smoking a bad-to-mediocre NC State, and their best win is either Illinois, Maryland, or Rutgers. Maybe I'm still bitter over Ron Dayne stealing Joe Ham's Heisman, but F Wisconsin!

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That scenario will happen sooner than later. Power 5 Champions get automatic qualification for playoffs, 3 wildcard teams. Gonna be too much money and outrage of P5 teams being left out for it not to happen.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm just pissed about Wisconsin jumping us. They got more credit for a relatively close win over a terrible Purdue team than we did smoking a bad-to-mediocre NC State, and their best win is either Illinois, Maryland, or Rutgers. Maybe I'm still bitter over Ron Dayne stealing Joe Ham's Heisman, but F Wisconsin!
Hey, if we beat the tiggers and the mutts, will it even matter?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
from what i can tell everytime the committee justifies something they talk about a teams "ranking" LOL

so basically, the committee to determine the ranking, is using....rankings. LOL

This is the problem when you put admins and condoleeza rices of the world to determine rankings. Vs a bunch of ex coaches/players/well respected scouts.

If a conf is not respected in preseason polls, like the ACC, now this committee isn't respecting it either. Its all around bad. Just dumb

GlennW

Helluva Engineer

That's what happens when someone like Condi Rice gets put on the Committee.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
from what i can tell everytime the committee justifies something they talk about a teams "ranking" LOL

so basically, the committee to determine the ranking, is using....rankings. LOL

This is the problem when you put admins and condoleeza rices of the world to determine rankings. Vs a bunch of ex coaches/players/well respected scouts.

If a conf is not respected in preseason polls, like the ACC, now this committee isn't respecting it either. Its all around bad. Just dumb
Judging from the quality of analysis most ex-coaches and players give on TV, I'm pretty ok with them being kept far away from the process.

Re: Condi, she's not even close to the worst choice among the current committee. 6 active ADs on there (including our previous AD) is just plain awful, for one.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
The poll is so what have you done for me lately, it's ridiculous!

Dwags put up 60+ so the jump up 5 spots... Arizona solidly beats a GARBAGE Colorado team and jumps up 5 spots. Nebraska has a bye week and is 3 spots worse...

Everyone thought the big 12 was at a disadvantage for not playing and championship game... Looks like they are at an advantage bc the committee gets to watch everyone play...

Polls are bad bc they have that 'poll mentality' but these polls are mathematically re created each week with less focus on previous week ranking so they are more random. Meanwhile the AP is pretty much how you would expect after last weekend.

Boomergump is right the only way to do the playoff is exclusively with conference champions. I hate this playoff, this poll and what this will do to all other bowls and coverage if the sport.

The larger the playoff the less they cover teams like us... We were ranked last week and had a couple of impressive plays, I didn't see one highlight on espn or college football final. If you're not in playoff contention, you're not getting covered period.

Way to go greedy playoff people...

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Even if we have one loss next year we will be where Nebraska and Duke are this year

Eli

Helluva Engineer
And there is no way in hell Texas a&m should be ranked. If you get beat by 52 points at any point in the season you should be removed from the rankings lol

Eli

Helluva Engineer
It still pisses me off that if Vanderbilt and Kentucky have good seasons it's because their a "great team" just because of the sec bs. If Syracuse and wake were having great seasons it's because the ACC sucks. Smh

Animal02

Banned
In that case, make it a 128 team playoff and kill the regular season.
Single game elimination season......LOL......EPSN would still make money off it.
In the quest for more TV dollars......college football has sacrificed an over 100 year tradition of bowl games being a reward for a well played season. I didn't care about the "controversy" of who was the NC.......it created that much more interest. I always looked forward to interesting bowl matchups up teams that rarely (if ever played each other) The BCS half killed that with the bowl tie ins that saw the saw teams goign the same places years after year.......that was the fork being stuck in the turkey.......this playoff is the carving knife slicing up the remains of bowl games.

jacket1515

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's the problem with this whole "beating Top 25 teams" emphasis - we could beat both Clemson and UGA and render them both unranked (assuming UGA loses to Auburn). Then what?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Judging from the quality of analysis most ex-coaches and players give on TV, I'm pretty ok with them being kept far away from the process.

Re: Condi, she's not even close to the worst choice among the current committee. 6 active ADs on there (including our previous AD) is just plain awful, for one.

clearly you get my point though. I was just using her as an example. The committee is a joke.

and coaches on TV are talking heads. They know a ton about the game...they are entertainers on TV. Put them behind closed doors in a serious evaluation like this and you don't get that "fun" you do on TV.

a good buddy of mine is a ex-coach and a ESPN analyst and he says they 100% have to put in a entertain aspect to make it interesting and create conversation