College football referees and the issue

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Oregon/Wisconsin game and I think corruption is possible even in the coaching ranks. Oregon scored in its first possession with a balanced attack easily. Then they went to a run game up the middle with very little success the rest of the game, crazy! Sure they won with a bobbled punt and turnovers, but didn't cover. It just didn't make any sense to me.
Why rig a big game? The answer is obvious. Big games attract big money.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Where did you get the idea I don't think it could happen? It wouldn't surprise me a bit. But in this particular case, and keeping the conversation centered on sports gambling, all I'm saying is that if an FBI agent knows that 90% of big games are fixed, then why aren't we seeing anyone busted for it? Seems a reasonable question to me.

That it happens somewhere, some time, is a no-brainer. It can and it has and it does. But the point is that it wouldn't make sense to fix big, much scrutinized games instead of lesser games which draw much less attention and would be easier to get away with. Especially since just as much money could be made by fixing those games as ones more widely publicized and viewed. It would make sense that there's where the illegal stuff would be more apt to go on, not the big games. It's just not the way these people operate. They don't want attention because they don't want to be caught. No sense in doing it under klieg lights when you could do it under a 15-watt bulb, relatively speaking.

Yes I think it could happen, but let's not exaggerate and let's not wallow in over-bloated conspiracy theories without evidence. There's way too much of that going on, too.

Football as a whole is a multi billion dollar business. Take a look at the Texas a&m replay when they played uga. The refs absolutely robbed Texas a&m on 4 occasions that changed the outcome of the game. No way was the sec going to let their sec championship get downplayed due to a two loss uga team .

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Oregon/Wisconsin game and I think corruption is possible even in the coaching ranks. Oregon scored in its first possession with a balanced attack easily. Then they went to a run game up the middle with very little success the rest of the game, crazy! Sure they won with a bobbled punt and turnovers, but didn't cover. It just didn't make any sense to me.

Take a look at the NBA playoffs. How many times does a team actually get swept? You can almost always count on an extra game

Jmonty71

Banned
Football as a whole is a multi billion dollar business. Take a look at the Texas a&m replay when they played uga. The refs absolutely robbed Texas a&m on 4 occasions that changed the outcome of the game. No way was the sec going to let their sec championship get downplayed due to a two loss uga team .
I've seen this, in a few conferences. Having a contender lose a game, hurts that conference. The refs work for that conference. Until this is brought to light and someone cracks down on it, the big name schools will still get those phantom calls and Stevie Wonder would have seen that calls will continue to happen.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I've seen this, in a few conferences. Having a contender lose a game, hurts that conference. The refs work for that conference. Until this is brought to light and someone cracks down on it, the big name schools will still get those phantom calls and Stevie Wonder would have seen that calls will continue to happen.

On the first touchdown by uga George Pickens grabs the cb by the facemask and blows past him 5 yards in front of the official

Jmonty71

Banned
I realize this thread may start conspiracy theories. But, some times, you just have to wonder. "How did ref miss that hold?" "Where did that illegal block, come from?" "How was that not pass interference? " We all have did this, at some point. I just seem to ask these questions even more.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I realize this thread may start conspiracy theories. But, some times, you just have to wonder. "How did ref miss that hold?" "Where did that illegal block, come from?" "How was that not pass interference? " We all have did this, at some point. I just seem to ask these questions even more.

I don't believe it's a conspiracy. The sec has the largest tv deals and biggest fan bases. The powers that be are going to protect their investment

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, if it's 'a billion dollar game', don't tell me they can't afford to hire officials who are better than some of these repeatedly inconsistent and bad calls.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing: You have games that often come in very close to the point spread, and you have at least a couple of bad calls in most games. So, that naturally stokes theories of payoffs.

But consider that many games coming in close to the spread is natural given that point spreads are set due to the relative strength of the teams. And, consider that there are crummy calls because people make mistakes, and like any occupation there are incompetent people in officiating. On top of that, officiating isn't easy. Now, the ref has to make the call in real time from his vantage point while camera angles are many and replays are done in slow motion.

So, some may see conspiracy while others see honest human error. There really is just no way to tell for sure, but I see lots of games where the bad calls go both ways. They mostly even out. And it seems that the fact we have replays in slow motion would really put a crimp in plans to fix high-profile games. My guess is that the mistakes you see in these games are more due to human error than corruption. Game fixing would seem probably more apt to occur in lesser games, especially ones where there is a point spread but are not on television.

I don't think it's widespread, or you would have heard of more officiating scandals. But does it occur? Of course. It's a good bet that no area of human endeavor is free from corruption - not one.

Just keep in mind that no area of human endeavor is free from error, also. The coaches are fallible, the players are fallible, the refs are fallible, and even us fans are fallible.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Coaches make way too much money and have way too much pride in their craft for this to happen very often. I'll bet it happens, but I'll bet it's really rare. They aren't going to risk losing to just keep it close. Too much can happen in any competitive game for it to be that controllable.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Coaches make way too much money and have way too much pride in their craft for this to happen very often. I'll bet it happens, but I'll bet it's really rare. They aren't going to risk losing to just keep it close. Too much can happen in any competitive game for it to be that controllable.

I agree very rare, and I understand about head coaches making lots of money. But coordinators who call the plays and formations and have a chance to influence the margin of victory is a different story, especially in bowl games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree very rare, and I understand about head coaches making lots of money. But coordinators who call the plays and formations and have a chance to influence the margin of victory is a different story, especially in bowl games.

Coordinators also make a lot of money, and wouldn't generally want to diminish their lucrative careers by toning down their offense/defense, especially since most of them aspire to be head coaches some day, let alone the prospect of throwing it all away by actually being caught. An exception might be made for ones in the last year of their careers. But yeah, I'm sure it's happened somewhere, some time.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure I really believe that refs alone could fix the outcome of a game solely by making certain calls.
Oh I could if it’s between two relatively evenly matched teams. All it takes is a couple holding calls or a PI to swing 10 points. It would be too much to account for a 27 point spread or something like that. But in a tight game, easily.

Just think of how many tight games we could have won if not for 2-3 really untimely penalties or a whistle not stopping a play for forward progress against UGA, UGA stripping it, and running for a touchdown. That one play alone was a 10 point swing in a game that the refs made.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I really believe that refs alone could fix the outcome of a game solely by making certain calls.

They'd pretty much have to all be in on it to make sure. And if the team they were supposed to favor was really underperforming and they were on national TV for all to see, I would imagine they'd be out there sweating bullets.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh I could if it’s between two relatively evenly matched teams. All it takes is a couple holding calls or a PI to swing 10 points. It would be too much to account for a 27 point spread or something like that. But in a tight game, easily.

Just think of how many tight games we could have won if not for 2-3 really untimely penalties or a whistle not stopping a play for forward progress against UGA, UGA stripping it, and running for a touchdown. That one play alone was a 10 point swing in a game that the refs made.

... or lost. You can see it working both ways when you take off the gold-colored glasses. Remember the Jasper Thanks game?

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I tell you, everyone is out to get GT sports. It is a worldwide conspiracy. It is being orchestrated by the NCAA and involves the ACC, the coaches, the officials, the schedule makers, UGA, the AJC, ESPN, talk radio, the local TV stations, high school football coaches, GT professors and the GT administration. It is incredible they continue to get away with it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

There is holding on every play they just don't call it most the time which makes it look fixed.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What would the game look like if every penalty on every play were enforced? If we had so many cameras and "referees" in the booth as to watch every player perfectly every play? If o-line coaches had to teach players to block correctly instead of teaching them how to get away with holding?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
What would the game look like if every penalty on every play were enforced? If we had so many cameras and "referees" in the booth as to watch every player perfectly every play? If o-line coaches had to teach players to block correctly instead of teaching them how to get away with holding?
I know everyone hates the Hokies, but on the last UK drive to beat them, in the d*mn open field, their OL pulled a VT player to the ground, and the result was a BIG run. The ref was standing right there looking at it. You can't tell me he missed it. The no-call was deliberate and for the SEC.