College football referees and the issue

Jmonty71

Banned
This goes for GT games, as well as any NCAA football game. Does anywhere on this post, believe that games are often bought and paid for, but outside sources? Face it, college refs make $2,000 or so, per game. How difficult would it be for some mobster, to offer $100,000 to ensure a team won? How hard for a conference person to offer that money, so their conference wins? I've seen a lot of weird calls, that seemed to benefit the bigger teams. (Yes, SEC most often).

Just saying, there is a great speculation that this happens. How can you possibly defend against outside influence? The refs are smart enough to have a separate account, so their bank accounts can't be tracked.

Just curious, does anything else think that this happens? I sure do.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the refs have always been this bad. Just with more tv cameras and angles and the importance of replay, we as the viewer are seeing the ****tiness of refs magnified a whole lot more. And with social media, more avenues to complain about said ****tiness.

with regards to betting, I’m sure some refs take money to help certain teams. Just like there are bag men, paying players and whatever else goes on.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo there is no doubt some games are fixed especially in basketball. We already know of instances of that many times

in football especially the nfl where reviews are done in a single location out of NJ where a heavy gambling and mob influence still exists its very easy for them to arrange communication to the on field officials in their new telephone head sets about live game lines and betting and shockingly its unreal how many times games end in amazing ways compared to the spread.

just saying.

tin hat baby

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Exception being targeting. See Clemson-OSU game.

Although the intent of this rule is legit, IMO it needs some refinement.
Such as, when the offensive player drops is head to initiate helmet-to-helmet contact as was the case in the OSU-Clemson game.
And in some cases that I've seen the contact is incidental ... that's why they are wearing helmets.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Imo there is no doubt some games are fixed especially in basketball. We already know of instances of that many times

in football especially the nfl where reviews are done in a single location out of NJ where a heavy gambling and mob influence still exists its very easy for them to arrange communication to the on field officials in their new telephone head sets about live game lines and betting and shockingly its unreal how many times games end in amazing ways compared to the spread.

just saying.

tin hat baby

One of my dad's good friends is a retired FBI agent in vegas. Says that 90 percent of big time games are in fact fixed. Kinda ruined my life hearing this

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
TIFWIW- but there is a video interview out there on youtube of a guy named Johnny Lange who claims to be an ex-Genovese crime family member. Very interesting interview to say the least. He claims most of the refs are on the take in football and basketball.

The offensive PI called on Wisconsin was an absolute travesty. (supposedly a "pick play", but the D back initiated the contact by running in front of the receiver's route)

The defensive PI NOT called on UGAG when the DB grabbed the guy's shirt and slowed him down was an absolute travesty.
There was also an instance of the mutt defender grabbing a Baylor player by the face mask and pulling him down, and yet if I remember correctly, the Baylor player was called for offensive pass interference. That's definitely an example of when a review should be made, because it was clear on the TV replay.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One of my dad's good friends is a retired FBI agent in vegas. Says that 90 percent of big time games are in fact fixed. Kinda ruined my life hearing this

But why would the "big time" games be fixed as opposed to games of lesser importance? You could make just as much money on those games as the major ones, with a lot less scrutiny. That some games are fixed is a certainty, but 90% of the big ones? I don't believe it.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
There was also an instance of the mutt defender grabbing a Baylor player by the face mask and pulling him down, and yet if I remember correctly, the Baylor player was called for offensive pass interference. That's definitely an example of when a review should be made, because it was clear on the TV replay.

he was called for holding since it looked like he drug the ugag defender to the ground.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
But why would the "big time" games be fixed as opposed to games of lesser importance? You could make just as much money on those games as the major ones, with a lot less scrutiny. That some games are fixed is a certainty, but 90% of the big ones? I don't believe it.

I can only tell you what he told me. It's cool if you don't believe it. Rewatch the Clemson game

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I can only tell you what he told me. It's cool if you don't believe it. Rewatch the Clemson game

Refs make mistakes, just like everybody else.

I understand you're just repeating what he told you. But I must say, if your Dad's friend was an FBI agent in Las Vegas and he knows that 90% of the big games are fixed, it would seem to beg the question of why we haven't heard of more sports gambler busts. This would have been big news. Unless maybe the agents themselves were getting in on the action...

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Refs make mistakes, just like everybody else.

I understand you're just repeating what he told you. But I must say, if your Dad's friend was an FBI agent in Las Vegas and he knows that 90% of the big games are fixed, it would seem to beg the question of why we haven't heard of more sports gambler busts. This would have been big news. Unless maybe the agents themselves were getting in on the action...
Have you been paying attention the last 3 years? No level of corruption would surprise me in this country. And we got here because the majority of citizens just don't think it could happen.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Have you been paying attention the last 3 years? No level of corruption would surprise me in this country. And we got here because the majority of citizens just don't think it could happen.

Where did you get the idea I don't think it could happen? It wouldn't surprise me a bit. But in this particular case, and keeping the conversation centered on sports gambling, all I'm saying is that if an FBI agent knows that 90% of big games are fixed, then why aren't we seeing anyone busted for it? Seems a reasonable question to me.

That it happens somewhere, some time, is a no-brainer. It can and it has and it does. But the point is that it wouldn't make sense to fix big, much scrutinized games instead of lesser games which draw much less attention and would be easier to get away with. Especially since just as much money could be made by fixing those games as ones more widely publicized and viewed. It would make sense that there's where the illegal stuff would be more apt to go on, not the big games. It's just not the way these people operate. They don't want attention because they don't want to be caught. No sense in doing it under klieg lights when you could do it under a 15-watt bulb, relatively speaking.

Yes I think it could happen, but let's not exaggerate and let's not wallow in over-bloated conspiracy theories without evidence. There's way too much of that going on, too.