College Football in 2020 is an Aberration

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
National champions were crowned during the 1918 pandemic, WW1, after Pearl Harbor, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam, and after 9/11.
There’s already been a World Series champion crowned, and the NBA and NHL have crowned champions. The PGA hosted and declared winners for the U.S. Open, the PGA Championship, and The Masters. NASCAR crowned a champion, Formula 1 will declare a champion in December, various soccer leagues are playing for championships. The NFL is on their way to setting the playoff field.

Why would college football be seemingly the only sport in the world to just give up on the season and not declare a champion? Everyone will remember 2020 as a year with an asterisk beside it, might as well embrace it.

On the contrary, you crown a champion so these guys feel at least like they played for something other than their schools' revenue.

Edit: meant this as a reply to @Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On the contrary, you crown a champion so these guys feel at least like they played for something other than their schools' revenue.

Edit: meant this as a reply to @Northeast Stinger
Interesting. I wonder if the players feel like this is a normal season then. I don’t know. If I were playing I imagine I would think that I was fulfilling an obligation for my scholarship, getting in some practice time, enjoying some competition, and perhaps offering a distraction to the public. But I can’t imagine they would think this was a normal championship season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Moved a bunch of posts that were more covid related than college football related into the covid thread down in the lounge.