College Football in 2020 is an Aberration

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone, but me not see this season as a aberration? Like a 'free play' when the other team is off sides and play continues. I mean, this year is just weird, and understandably so. LSU got beat by Missouri, Penn State got beat by Indiana, the Big 10 and PAC-12 are just starting their season. The pre-season preparation for this year is totally thrown inro a cluster, as is game prep by covit-19 restrictions. In addition there has been racial strife, a very divided country.

We still have a very young team, with a freshman quarterback (very talented but inexperienced in the college game) and young players in all positions, in the middle of this chaos and uncertainty we call 2020. In my mind I have a double or triple asterisk on this season. I think we should give the players and coaches (OUR players and coaches) some latitude. I believe they are trying their dead level best to win and get better. They are the ones who sweat and bleed and play in pain and then go to class in one of the toughest academic environments in college football. What arrogance and shortsighted foolishness it is for us to open our critical pie holes and heap contempt on OUR young men. I served in Vietnam and I know how it hurts when your own people turn on you. We need to get over ourselves.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone, but me not see this season as a aberration? Like a 'free play' when the other team is off sides and play continues. I mean, this year is just weird, and understandably so. LSU got beat by Missouri, Penn State got beat by Indiana, the Big 10 and PAC-12 are just starting their season. The pre-season preparation for this year is totally thrown inro a cluster, as is game prep by covit-19 restrictions. In addition there has been racial strife, a very divided country.

We still have a very young team, with a freshman quarterback (very talented but inexperienced in the college game) and young players in all positions, in the middle of this chaos and uncertainty we call 2020. In my mind I have a double or triple asterisk on this season. I think we should give the players and coaches (OUR players and coaches) some latitude. I believe they are trying their dead level best to win and get better. They are the ones who sweat and bleed and play in pain and then go to class in one of the toughest academic environments in college football. What arrogance and shortsighted foolishness it is for us to open our critical pie holes and heap contempt on OUR young men. I served in Vietnam and I know how it hurts when your own people turn on you. We need to get over ourselves.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

So why do we keep saying we have young players? Sure at QB and RB, but our WRs are mostly Jrs and Srs. 4 of our O linemen the same. TE is young. On defense our secondary are mostly Srs. One LB is 25 years old. Now that said all of them will be back again next year. Fact, we had the most returning starters in the ACC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's certainly an aberration of a year.

We're playing 6 atlantic teams, 3 coastal teams, no UGA. Some teams have played 7 games, one team already knows what bowl they are going to. Meanwhile the Pac 12 is still in the preason. We have no eligibility being used, players opting out. There was little spring and littler still summer work.

Regardless of what is happening with any individual team, this is a weird year.

Now what effect it's had on our team and performance? That's almost impossible to say. We have a lot of issues that aren't really related to that situation, although some attempts at addressing them probably were hinders.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with you. This year is just a bad dream. It won't exist after the new year starts. It will be, what does the NCAA call it, vacated from my memory.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how anybody could call this anything but an aberrational season. It has been weird from the start and will be until the finish. With any kind of luck we'll get through it without a major COVID outbreak on the team and pick up just enough experience to being to play better next year.

My only regret is that we actually decided to play. The Season of Doom has proven every bit as difficult as I thought it would be and prospects are not improving. Next year the season slate will be more in our wheelhouse. I hope.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's certainly an aberration of a year.

We're playing 6 atlantic teams, 3 coastal teams, no UGA. Some teams have played 7 games, one team already knows what bowl they are going to. Meanwhile the Pac 12 is still in the preason. We have no eligibility being used, players opting out. There was little spring and littler still summer work.

Regardless of what is happening with any individual team, this is a weird year.

Now what effect it's had on our team and performance? That's almost impossible to say. We have a lot of issues that aren't really related to that situation, although some attempts at addressing them probably were hinders.
the really sad part I have a feeling this will still be going on next season just don't see an end of this

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
We knew that the team had an incredibly tough schedule this year. We expected that even if we were a better team, it was possible that the record at the end of the reason would not reflect that. For the young guys on the team to fight through a weird COVID season and play some tough competition in Clemson, Miami, ND should bode well for the future.

Deleted member 2897

My only regret is that we actually decided to play. The Season of Doom has proven every bit as difficult as I thought it would be and prospects are not improving. Next year the season slate will be more in our wheelhouse. I hope.

You said this out loud.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I wonder if people would be excusing the season still if we were 5-1 right now. Would it still be a practice season with "double" or "triple" asterisks then?

As a side note, thank you very much for your service

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

Interesting question.
Here is my take on it. Regardless of how weird this season is, I always come back to the question "Will this season be counted in the record books?" If these games get counted in GT's legacy, then I don't care how strange this season is. We should not accept any excuse for poor preparation and poor play. Only if the NCAA comes back and says that none of these games count and there won't be an official national champion crowned, will I consider these games "practice games"

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Only if the NCAA comes back and says that none of these games count and there won't be an official national champion crowned, will I consider these games "practice games"
That would not surprise me one bit. The PAC 12 won't even start for another month. The Big 10 just started. There won't be any conference championship games for most of the P5 (don't know about the SEC). I don't know how any kind of decision could be made about the playoffs until - probably - February and by then most teams will have completed their schedules a month ago.

But maybe they can come up with something. It'll be even weirder then the season itself if they do.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That would not surprise me one bit. The PAC 12 won't even start for another month. The Big 10 just started. There won't be any conference championship games for most of the P5 (don't know about the SEC). I don't know how any kind of decision could be made about the playoffs until - probably - February and by then most teams will have completed their schedules a month ago.

But maybe they can come up with something. It'll be even weirder then the season itself if they do.
All of the P5 conferences are going to play championship games... The CFP selection is going to be on December 20. Semifinals played on January 1, championship January 11.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All of the P5 conferences are going to play championship games... The CFP selection is going to be on December 20. Semifinals played on January 1, championship January 11.
Hadn't heard that. And I suppose this simply leaves the PAC 12 out? Or did they figure out how to get them in under the wire?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hadn't heard that. And I suppose this simply leaves the PAC 12 out? Or did they figure out how to get them in under the wire?
Both the PAC 12 and B1G are playing their championship games on the 19th, but because the PAC 12 is only playing 6 regular season games they’re basically eliminated by default. The only way the PAC gets a team in is if the SECCG loser has 3 losses, the ACCCG loser has 3 losses, the B1G loser has 2 losses, and the Big 12 winner has 1 loss. I think all of those scenarios need to play out for the PAC to get in.