College Football "Brand" Rankings

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Big boys don't want to play us home and home. That's why our Alabama series got cancelled. Alabama wanted to play our home game in the Dome instead of BDS. We said Hell No.

So, big-boy programs don't want to come to BDS because of the size of our stadium ?? ... Without doing the research I know the Mississippi schools and Arkansas have stadiums around the 60's and Vandy's is smaller than BDS.
And as far as Alabama, it would be the same as when we play UGAG or Clemson at home ??
Also, 55K may be smallish in the Southeast, but is equal or better to alot of "name" schools around the country.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
On the same day we play Alcorn State, Auburn is playing Washington in Atlanta. How is it that not one of those teams is not coming to BDS?
Not quite sure what you are driving at with this line of reasoning, but I would like to point out that Chick fil a is paying a couple million per team, GT is probably paying $300k to Alcorn.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Someof our football coaches and Stansbury expressed a few weeks ago that they thought Tech's football schedule was subject to "over scheduling".Guess that means we need to schedule more FCS teams. Once when PJ was asked about working in more big name teams and less cupcakes to our schedule, he said "we have enough problems with our tough ACC teams".

If that is true, thats a piss poor attitude. How can you expect to "compete" to play for a playoff spot and yet think you don't measure up to other Power 5 teams? Maybe PJ would prefer we replace UGA with Georgia State.

I hear y’all. And I don’t completely disagree. As a fan I wanna see us play tough traditional rivals in OOC games. And I want to beat em all.

But there is reason to schedule softer opponents OOC. First is our annual match with Clem. Puts us at a clear disadvantage when competing for the coastal crown. Add another tough opponent OOC and that’s one more game of hard fatigue and additional injuries that might be more easily avoided with a pasty where we might play depth guys more. Second is records matter and a softer schedule will equate to a better record. Just see UCF last year for evidence of this.

Bottom line, I see both sides of the argument. My greedy self would schedule Aubie, UF, UT, bama, and Notre Dame annually. But then I also wouldn’t ***** and moan for not going undefeated.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I want to get a "Nerd vs Nerd" series going. Home and away with Northwestern, Purdue, Cal, Stanford...schools known for high academics playing P5 football.

Stanford and Cal yes. Would be nice to beat em on the field as they have tended to beat us on some wanted recruits. Would also be cool to play Cal in the Rose Bowl again. Would make for an awesome week 1 game.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I hear y’all. And I don’t completely disagree. As a fan I wanna see us play tough traditional rivals in OOC games. And I want to beat em all.

But there is reason to schedule softer opponents OOC. First is our annual match with Clem. Puts us at a clear disadvantage when competing for the coastal crown. Add another tough opponent OOC and that’s one more game of hard fatigue and additional injuries that might be more easily avoided with a pasty where we might play depth guys more. Second is records matter and a softer schedule will equate to a better record. Just see UCF last year for evidence of this.

Bottom line, I see both sides of the argument. My greedy self would schedule Aubie, UF, UT, bama, and Notre Dame annually. But then I also wouldn’t ***** and moan for not going undefeated.

But you would for going 3-9 or 4-8. We have plenty of tough teams on our schedule every year. UGA, clemson, vatech, UNC and duke have been decent. Towards the end of the year 95%of college football fans have NO idea who other teams, they don’t follow, played. It’s all about 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 11-1.

There would be no argument about getting in the playoff if we went 11-1 (if loss was to UGA, Clem, vatech) and won the ACC even if we had 3 **** teams on the schedule. It also doesn’t matter who you played when you look back. Sure it’s fun to add those people but sometimes you have less than a 50% odds of beating those teams. That’s why Alabama pulled out of our game. They have no benefit in taking a possible loss.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
It's a real problem. We could fill BDS with home games against almost any SEC East team, except Vandy, or maybe Ky. Of course , probably 25-30% or more would be visitors. That is the ONLY downside I see. If we win , it's a GREAT boost to our program and builds our confidence for Clem, VT, UGA , etc. . If we lose , then we are probably not as good as we think we are. Playing Prairie View or Wofford ( in a half empty stadium ) does NOTHING for our visibility and relevance on the college football radar.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
They have never had and probably never will have attendance issues, but if they consistently played reputable schedules, branding MIGHT become an issue over time
In 2015 they played Wisconsin, 2016 Southern Cal, 2017 FSU, 2018 they'll play Louisville. Granted these are neutral site games, but they are on the schedule. Tech should keep some non-Power 5 games on the slate, but our home schedule should look more like last year with one big Power 5 name outside of UGA. This year 25% of our schedule is non Power 5 and thats just not going to generate any kind of buzz around the program.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
They don't have to, they don't have branding and attendance issues.

They went thru a long, dark period where they lost a ton of games and changed coaches several times, yet they still had great attendance.

You think the Bama athletic department is full of marketing geniuses, and GT’s is full of imbeciles? Neither is true.

It’s more a function of the type of people who make up the fan base.

Look at your place of business. Are people more apt to want to go to lunch with, have a drink after work, etc. with the sales team or the engineers?

We all need to quit blaming the AA and the team and start owning up to our own responsibility. We make up the “brand” perception to those we interact with.

Are we people that someone would want to spend several hours on a Saturday with?

Why did ATL United, in its very first season, sell out every single game in Bobby Dodd stadium? Was it marketing geniuses? Was it some great “brand”? Hint: at ATL United games, you don’t have a ton of old people telling you to sit down.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
They went thru a long, dark period where they lost a ton of games and changed coaches several times, yet they still had great attendance.

You think the Bama athletic department is full of marketing geniuses, and GT’s is full of imbeciles? Neither is true.

It’s more a function of the type of people who make up the fan base.

Look at your place of business. Are people more apt to want to go to lunch with, have a drink after work, etc. with the sales team or the engineers?

We all need to quit blaming the AA and the team and start owning up to our own responsibility. We make up the “brand” perception to those we interact with.

Are we people that someone would want to spend several hours on a Saturday with?

Why did ATL United, in its very first season, sell out every single game in Bobby Dodd stadium? Was it marketing geniuses? Was it some great “brand”? Hint: at ATL United games, you don’t have a ton of old people telling you to sit down.
Truth !!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
[QUOTE="684Bee, post: 420960, member: 3034"

Why did ATL United, in its very first season, sell out every single game in Bobby Dodd stadium? Was it marketing geniuses? Was it some great “brand”? Hint: at ATL United games, you don’t have a ton of old people telling you to sit down.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if you're serious or not but old people have got nothing to do with lack of attendance. It's as simple as consistent W and L's. Simple. Consistent. Us engineers try to solve simple problems with calculus when it's not necessary.

In 2015 they played Wisconsin, 2016 Southern Cal, 2017 FSU, 2018 they'll play Louisville. Granted these are neutral site games, but they are on the schedule. Tech should keep some non-Power 5 games on the slate, but our home schedule should look more like last year with one big Power 5 name outside of UGA. This year 25% of our schedule is non Power 5 and thats just not going to generate any kind of buzz around the program.
South Florida may not be a Power 5 team, but they're no slouch either. I do not like playing both Alcorn State and Bowling Green in the same season. Nobody wants to see either of them. Meanwhile, in spite of Bama playing Louisville, 25% of their schedule is also made up of non Power 5 schools. Since Tech plays Clemson and the mutts every year, and since USF is possibly as good as Louisville will be this year (I guess we will find out, since we play them both), Tech's schedule IMO is as tough as Bama's.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

The issue with comparing Alabama's schedule to Tech's is that Auburn is an in-conference game for them and UGA is an out of conference game for us. So, yes, Alabama played Wisconsin, USC, FSU, etc. the last few years, but every one of those years we played UGA. Here is a comparison of the next best two OOC games for each program over the last 5 years:

2013 - Alabama (Colorado St., Ga. St.); Tech (BYU, Alabama A&M)
2014 - Alabama (Fla Atlantic, Southern Miss); Tech (Tulane, Georgia Southern)
2015 - Alabama (MTSU, UL-Monroe); Tech (Tulane, Alcorn St.)
2016 - Alabama (Western KY, Kent St.); Tech (Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern)
2017 - Alabama (Fresno St., Colorado St.); Tech (Tennessee, UCF (canceled))

All things considered, I would say that Tech has played a harder OOC schedule than Alabama the last 5 years. Aside from the neutral site games Alabama played that you referenced, they didn't play a single power 5 conference game OOC. Tech at least played BYU, Vandy, and Tennessee.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
South Florida may not be a Power 5 team, but they're no slouch either. I do not like playing both Alcorn State and Bowling Green in the same season. Nobody wants to see either of them. Meanwhile, in spite of Bama playing Louisville, 25% of their schedule is also made up of non Power 5 schools. Since Tech plays Clemson and the mutts every year, and since USF is possibly as good as Louisville will be this year (I guess we will find out, since we play them both), Tech's schedule IMO is as tough as Bama's.
Don’t be ridiculous (;))—our regular-season schedule this year is significantly tougher than bammer’s, as it has been for the last several seasons.