College Football "Brand" Rankings

Deleted member 2897

Interesting that Alabama is always near the top of recruiting, yet recruits rank them #18. Odd.

90% of this to me is like a football poll ranking and nothing more.

I mean, if I'm talking about BRAND, I see Notre Dame at #15 and I find that odd.

I see Baylor's brand trashed by its behavior over the last several years and it makes sense. But then there are the UNCheat's and the Ole Miss' of the world hanging tough.

To me the conclusion is 'don't ever try to predict what kids think' LOL.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that Alabama is always near the top of recruiting, yet recruits rank them #18. Odd.

I mean, if I'm talking about BRAND, I see Notre Dame at #15 and I find that odd.

I see Baylor's brand trashed by its behavior over the last several years and it makes sense. But then there are the UNCheat's and the Ole Miss' of the world hanging tough.

So this poll is by high school athletes. I think when it comes to Bama, a lot of athletes hate their uniforms. Seems like an insignificant thing to us, but to them, probably means more. Notre Dame at 15 sounds about right. They are no where near the brand they once were.

Deleted member 2897

So this poll is by high school athletes. I think when it comes to Bama, a lot of athletes hate their uniforms. Seems like an insignificant thing to us, but to them, probably means more. Notre Dame at 15 sounds about right. They are no where near the brand they once were.

Oregon. Is. #. 5.

I will never understand these yunguns. :D

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Athletes might not necessarily like Alabama as much as a brand, but if they're gonna get you multiple cracks at a national title, superb S&C and pro-style position coaching, and a great chance at the NFL, the brand starts to seem less important.

I really wish we could do better. I think we can by being different. It seems to conform with TStan's vision of us being a leader in technology, and I really support the Adidas deal and marketing/color work, but I don't think any of that is really cementing an identity for us in the eyes of recruits. Hopefully we see more down the pike.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I guess I need, in the eyes of an 18 y.o., the definition of "brand".

Penn State #3 with bama #19 and Texas #20?

Maybe I give too much weight to logos.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For those who didn't click into the link to read more, a few more things caught my attention and think it's worth sharing.

1) I was trying to understand the data and methodology. It appears "brand" is defined differently than at least I would assume:
We wanted to find out exactly how high school football players perceive the Power 5 schools, so we asked 224 recruits to grade their interest and desire in each program as if they were the number one recruit in the country (i.e. they had offers from every school).
This makes the Alabama ranking of #18 all the more interesting, given it doesn't correlate with their recruiting ranking as much as others.

2) How much does revenue $ affect brand?
graph_2_orig.png

3) The comment should resonate with GT fans

Brand perception is not only one of the most important assets to an athletic department, but it is one of the easiest assets to change as well. Darlow describes in his book that perception, recruiting, winning, and money make up the four phases of an Athletic Program Life Cycle, in that order. All four phases are interrelated, yet the ability to affect the different phases is not equal. It is difficult for an athletic director to wake up and say, "I want to make 20% more money this year." It is more realistic for an athletic director to say, "I want to improve my brand perception." Perception in turn affects recruiting, which affects winning, which affects revenue. Each phase is most greatly influenced by the preceding phase.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Is it the brand or is it Saban?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
For those who didn't click into the link to read more, a few more things caught my attention and think it's worth sharing.

1) I was trying to understand the data and methodology. It appears "brand" is defined differently than at least I would assume:

This makes the Alabama ranking of #18 all the more interesting, given it doesn't correlate with their recruiting ranking as much as others.

2) How much does revenue $ affect brand?
graph_2_orig.png

3) The comment should resonate with GT fans

GT has to get a younger appeal. The youth programs and students filling the stadium is one. Embracing the “Nerd” and “Nerd” culture is another. being progressive with and inclusive is another. With the student population, that stadium should look like the United Nations. It’s starting to do so organically but GT can carry that further. You in Atlanta for God’s sake damn near the whole country is fascinated by the place. Embrace the A.

slugboy

Staff member
GT has to get a younger appeal. The youth programs and students filling the stadium is one. Embracing the “Nerd” and “Nerd” culture is another. being progressive with and inclusive is another. With the student population, that stadium should look like the United Nations. It’s starting to do so organically but GT can carry that further. You in Atlanta for God’s sake damn near the whole country is fascinated by the place. Embrace the A.
I think Stansbury is trying to do this. We should do more to get the Georgia Tech brand beyond athletics out of the classroom and into public spaces. It's a shame the Ramblin Wreck parade is only once a year.
When Stansbury showed up, there was a lot of talk about what he did at UCF. I haven't seen much of that since then, but making the games into an event (with a beer/food lounge area, a student zone) and make games into more of an experience is something that would boost our brand.
ATL United has done that successfully (in our stadium, no less). The Hawks try to do that.
Has anyone seen anything like that from us in the last year or two?
Some of it is what we do on the field too. Oregon has a great brand because they're Nike HQ, have wild uniforms, and play fast. We might have a chance to do that on defense. I'm hoping the Nate Woody defense gets us back there.
Why Kentucky is ahead of us baffles me. We could move into the top 25 if we were bold.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I really wish GT would do more is promote the entreprenuerial and innovative culture that GT students have embraced. For crying out loud, we have one of the best business incubators in the country, and the largest in the Southeast sitting on campus, Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC). For all intents and purposes, Atlanta is the Silicon Valley of the South.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomgro...universities-and-accelerators/2/#50a439d62f43

https://www.americaninno.com/atlant...g-you-need-to-know-about-atlantas-incubators/

As @ATL1 alluded to, being a nerd is cool these days. You look at pro athletes like Lebron James, Kevin Durant, and our own Chris Bosh who are actively seeking tech space investments and ventures. A large part of Durant's attraction to Golden State was his ability to access Silicon Valley for business opportunities.

Very few schools can offer this to SAs. I would LOVE to see GT get "nerdy" and sell SAs on the fact they can play top tier football AND be a Mark Zuckerberg/Elon Musk/Evan Spiegal. GT athletics, not just GT the school, needs to really sell the young GT students who are creating their own companies and are leveraging innovation to create opportunities. I think that avenue appeals to the type of SAs we need to attract: Good athletes who are also good students, and who aspire to the heights of their interests.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Tech Village is great. Virtual reality simulator. All this “tech” and little of it being marketed.

You telling me you can’t sale this to recruits?

Look at Derrick Morgan:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc...-derrick-morgan-tackles-tech-industry-n714821

Good example of a GT grad and exercising the "40 year plan" that we like to push to recruits. In Morgan's case, he's taking it to the next level by pushing his influence to help others.

GT needs to have the Tech Village, and stories like DM's as a bigger piece of the recruiting strategy.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Tstan has a tough road to hoe to improve our brand. I have been attending Tech games since the upset of ND in the '70's and have seen every marketing idea tried, Band Days, Street Fests, having GSU and Emory adopt our program just to name a few. All have failed. Currently our football brand is "the team that runs a gimmicky offense because it can't recruit to play big boy football". Obviously not true, but its the brand. The way to change that is to beat some "big boys at home". With our two biggest rivals owning the local media and the state, you have to change the narrative and become a story. Tech should be the team that will play some "big teams" home and home. On the same day we play Alcorn State, Auburn is playing Washington in Atlanta. How is it that not one of those teams is not coming to BDS? Win some meaningful games consistently and you can sell more tickets. Last year proved that people will come to watch us play some "name programs". We have to take advantage of Atlanta being the football capital of the country.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tstan has a tough road to hoe to improve our brand. I have been attending Tech games since the upset of ND in the '70's and have seen every marketing idea tried, Band Days, Street Fests, having GSU and Emory adopt our program just to name a few. All have failed. Currently our football brand is "the team that runs a gimmicky offense because it can't recruit to play big boy football". Obviously not true, but its the brand. The way to change that is to beat some "big boys at home". With our two biggest rivals owning the local media and the state, you have to change the narrative and become a story. Tech should be the team that will play some "big teams" home and home. On the same day we play Alcorn State, Auburn is playing Washington in Atlanta. How is it that not one of those teams is not coming to BDS? Win some meaningful games consistently and you can sell more tickets. Last year proved that people will come to watch us play some "name programs". We have to take advantage of Atlanta being the football capital of the country.
Big boys don't want to play us home and home. That's why our Alabama series got cancelled. Alabama wanted to play our home game in the Dome instead of BDS. We said Hell No.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Someof our football coaches and Stansbury expressed a few weeks ago that they thought Tech's football schedule was subject to "over scheduling".Guess that means we need to schedule more FCS teams. Once when PJ was asked about working in more big name teams and less cupcakes to our schedule, he said "we have enough problems with our tough ACC teams".

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Someof our football coaches and Stansbury expressed a few weeks ago that they thought Tech's football schedule was subject to "over scheduling".Guess that means we need to schedule more FCS teams. Once when PJ was asked about working in more big name teams and less cupcakes to our schedule, he said "we have enough problems with our tough ACC teams".
If that is true, thats a piss poor attitude. How can you expect to "compete" to play for a playoff spot and yet think you don't measure up to other Power 5 teams? Maybe PJ would prefer we replace UGA with Georgia State.