College Football "Brand" Rankings

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
"Some of it has to do with what we do on the field"

Embrace the GT students innovative and entrepreneurial spirit. Embrace the Nerd.

GT offers what no other university can (BS! Others just don't sit around and talk / whine about it)

ALL THIS IS OLD NEWS. We have been there and done that, people.

All this Branding ( initiated by the GTAA) should have the goal of helping us recruit better athletes - to win more games - to sell more tickets.

CPJ's O is going to prevent us from getting into the homes of a LOT of qualified S/As.

If our "already tough ACC schedule" is going to prevent us from playing a better schedule (which also attracts recruits) then TStan and CPJ have zero concept of what has plagued GT for so long.

If we are not in the kick off game in our home town, then we should play an away game at a big time school.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The issue with comparing Alabama's schedule to Tech's is that Auburn is an in-conference game for them and UGA is an out of conference game for us. So, yes, Alabama played Wisconsin, USC, FSU, etc. the last few years, but every one of those years we played UGA. Here is a comparison of the next best two OOC games for each program over the last 5 years:

2013 - Alabama (Colorado St., Ga. St.); Tech (BYU, Alabama A&M)
2014 - Alabama (Fla Atlantic, Southern Miss); Tech (Tulane, Georgia Southern)
2015 - Alabama (MTSU, UL-Monroe); Tech (Tulane, Alcorn St.)
2016 - Alabama (Western KY, Kent St.); Tech (Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern)
2017 - Alabama (Fresno St., Colorado St.); Tech (Tennessee, UCF (canceled))

All things considered, I would say that Tech has played a harder OOC schedule than Alabama the last 5 years. Aside from the neutral site games Alabama played that you referenced, they didn't play a single power 5 conference game OOC. Tech at least played BYU, Vandy, and Tennessee.

2 things:

They play an SEC schedule, which, in the South, is more attractive whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

And two, they have no problem selling tickets.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, big-boy programs don't want to come to BDS because of the size of our stadium ?? ... Without doing the research I know the Mississippi schools and Arkansas have stadiums around the 60's and Vandy's is smaller than BDS.
And as far as Alabama, it would be the same as when we play UGAG or Clemson at home ??
Also, 55K may be smallish in the Southeast, but is equal or better to alot of "name" schools around the country.
yeah. That's not what I said...at all.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

Embrace the GT students innovative and entrepreneurial spirit. Embrace the Nerd.

GT offers what no other university can (BS! Others just don't sit around and talk / whine about it)

All this Branding ( initiated by the GTAA) should have the goal of helping us recruit better athletes - to win more games - to sell more tickets.

CPJ's O is going to prevent us from getting into the homes of a LOT of qualified S/As.

If our "already tough ACC schedule" is going to prevent us from playing a better schedule (which also attracts recruits) then TStan and CPJ have zero concept of what has plagued GT for so long.

If we are not in the kick off game in our home town, then we should play an away game at a big time school.
Amen!

65Jacket

GT Athlete

You are out of your mind.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that Alabama is always near the top of recruiting, yet recruits rank them #18. Odd.

90% of this to me is like a football poll ranking and nothing more.

I mean, if I'm talking about BRAND, I see Notre Dame at #15 and I find that odd.

I see Baylor's brand trashed by its behavior over the last several years and it makes sense. But then there are the UNCheat's and the Ole Miss' of the world hanging tough.

To me the conclusion is 'don't ever try to predict what kids think' LOL.

"Kids these days..."

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I mean, money and flash speaks to kids. Especially the type of kid these athletes are. They are driven by, nice flashy uniforms, women, alcohol, drugs, and money. Without of doubt. Why was rick Pitino successful? He supplied those things to the kids. Should we do that? No.

But we should spend money to make money. We need to throw as much cash as we can at becoming Adidas's baby. Tell them make us the craziest uniforms you can. Worked for Oregon, and we haven't seen too much of that sense then.

Heck there was a time when oregon didnt wear the same uniform twice in a season hahaha. (Mayne once).

Kids don't look at the "elite" schools with history. Kids are driven by today and tomorrow, not yesterday. All about what's next, what's next.

We need to always be now and next.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Crazy uniforms haven't worked for Maryland. They have sucked and looked terrible doing it.

Yeah, but its Maryland and execution has been terrible.

We need Adidas to take special interest in GT to make us their main go to team. Like oregon is for Nike.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a real problem. We could fill BDS with home games against almost any SEC East team, except Vandy, or maybe Ky. Of course , probably 25-30% or more would be visitors. That is the ONLY downside I see. If we win , it's a GREAT boost to our program and builds our confidence for Clem, VT, UGA , etc. . If we lose , then we are probably not as good as we think we are. Playing Prairie View or Wofford ( in a half empty stadium ) does NOTHING for our visibility and relevance on the college football radar.
One of the few posters that "get it" when talking about playing FCS teams!

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Clemson re-upped today with Nike for 10yr 58M.

TStan has got his work cut out for him. Adidas is huge world wide. We're only getting something like $200,000 from them. Just thinking outside the box, I don't think there is a stadium named after Adidas, but that would come with very some serious money and super upgrades. You may now start cursing me.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
As I have posted before, playing a FCS team every year thus having 7 home games, as opposed to scheduling home and home, makes a significant amount more money, even with a reduced attendance.
We need visibility MORE than money, IMO. We DO need money, but we need visibility and relevance to MAKE money.