College and Pro Sports Offseason Thread

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Really sad news,John Ward the legendary play by play announcer for Tennessee football(1967-1998) and Men's basketball(1963-1998) died today at the age of 87:(:cry::arghh: My thoughts and prayers go out to John Ward's family and friends. I'll always remember John Ward referring to Georgia Tech,during the football games between Georgia Tech and Tennessee,as the Engineers.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Former Ole Miss head foodball coach Billy Kinard died at the age of 84. Coach Kinard had the misfortune of succeeding Ole Miss legendary head coach Johnny Vaught. He guided Ole Miss to a 10-2 record in 1971 and a 5-5 record in 1972 after which he was fired. Strangely enough Johnny Vaught came out of retirement to take over for Coach Kinard and guided Ole Miss to 6-5 records in 1973 and 1974. My thoughts and prayers go out to Coach Kinard's family and friends.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Former Ole Miss head foodball coach Billy Kinard died at the age of 84. Coach Kinard had the misfortune of succeeding Ole Miss legendary head coach Johnny Vaught. He guided Ole Miss to a 10-2 record in 1971 and a 5-5 record in 1972 after which he was fired. Strangely enough Johnny Vaught came out of retirement to take over for Coach Kinard and guided Ole Miss to 6-5 records in 1973 and 1974. My thoughts and prayers go out to Coach Kinard's family and friends.

15-7 in 2 years and Old Miss fans unhappy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They always had an over inflated opinion of their place in the football universe!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
15-7 in 2 years and Old Miss fans unhappy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They always had an over inflated opinion of their place in the football universe!
They didn't know times had changed in College Football and Ole Miss was no longer a power. Ole Miss didn't have a black player on their football team until 1975 when they signed future All American DT Ben Williams.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
They didn't know times had changed in College Football and Ole Miss was no longer a power. Ole Miss didn't have a black player on their football team until 1975 when they signed future All American DT Ben Williams.

Funny thing is that Old Miss was never a power! Some good seasons under Vaught but I would never think of them as a powerhouse team even then.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Funny thing is that Old Miss was never a power! Some good seasons under Vaught but I would never think of them as a powerhouse team even then.
They did go 10-0-1 and won a National Title in 1960 and a minor poll voted them National Champions in 1959 after going 10-1;) Coach Kinard's 1971 team had a better record than all of John Vaught's teams from 1964-1970. Coach Kinard also had the handicap for formerly being an assistant coach at Mississippi State.