Odd attitudes here....

Records vs Power 5 Conference Team:
ACC 6-5
SEC 5-5
Big 10 7-4
Big XII 2-6
Pac 12 5-5

Head Up, ACC leads SEC 3-2

I will grant that vs lower level teams, the SEC has been better vs non Power 5 D-I schools, and FCS teams:

SEC 21-4 9-0
ACC 18-6 12-1
Big 10 19-4 6-2
Big XII 10-4 7-1
Pac 12 12-4 7-1

Sagarin has the conference ratings quite close...
SEC is #1 (west) and #9 (east)
ACC is #5 (Atl) and #7 (Coastal)
PAC 12 is #2 (south) and #3 (north)
Bog 10 is #4 (east) and #8 (west)
Big XII is #6

My point is that there does not appear to be a huge difference right now between the leagues, and in truth, there rarely is. There's sometimes a big difference in the best teams, but overall conference strength (in terms of football team on the field results) is usually quite close between the top Power 5 conferences year in and year out.

People's "eye tests" are usually heavily influenced by brand (SEC) and historical prominence (Tennessee, Florida, etc) and certain games as opposed to this year's actual results up and down the schedule.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
The Atlantic has the 2 best teams in the conference and you could maybe make the argument that FSU is better than any team in the Coastal.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I also believe the acc has closed that gap the past two years and could be pretty even writhing the next 2 or 3 years.

There's two parts to this, at least. First is the athlete ... is he available and willing to commit to an ACC school? Second, is the money. The SEC has the network, the merchandising, the organization ... it's still not clear to me how the ACC is going to fill stadiums on a regular basis. (I watched the Duke game the other night and the stadium must have been half-full.)

Not to diss the ACC, but the SEC and football are hand in glove. Between the academic standards, the stadium fill and the money, I don't think that's going to change. Just my opinion.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think it is great to see what is going on in the ACC football wise. No easy Saturday's anymore. I saw something recently that ranked all the divisions in college FB. The SEC west was #1 (the East 9th) while the Atlantic and Coastal were the 2nd and 4th ranked. Forgot who was 3rd. I think Uga and UT were lucky to get VT and UNC so early in the year.
That's kind of a cop out. VT / UNC could of beaten UT and UGA and we'd be saying the same thing, just reversed. I think in today's college football, you better come to play every weekend. As UGA learned, by escaping earlier this year... No matter the team, they can come up and play hard. I foresee UGA rolling UL this weekend. UVA is much like us.. they rise up for some games and other games, it looks like they never got off the bus. Let's hope they come with a "didn't get off the bus" type of day. If they play like they did against Louisville, it could be a long day.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There's two parts to this, at least. First is the athlete ... is he available and willing to commit to an ACC school? Second, is the money. The SEC has the network, the merchandising, the organization ... it's still not clear to me how the ACC is going to fill stadiums on a regular basis. (I watched the Duke game the other night and the stadium must have been half-full.)

Not to diss the ACC, but the SEC and football are hand in glove. Between the academic standards, the stadium fill and the money, I don't think that's going to change. Just my opinion.
I agree the sec is better, I just feel as if the acc has gained ground. The reason I say the acc could be even wit the. in the next couple years is because of the uprising of Clemson, and Louisville plus you already have Florida state. I also think Miami and VT are going to get where they could be a consistent 9 or 10 win teams, and this Imo will change the outlook of the acc in a major way, kids will want to play against other good teams, and will understand there is good football outside of the sec. Now, I'm not saying this will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. You will also have competitive teams in GT (possibly a consistent 9 or 10 win team for GT if we get a top 30 D consistantly) and the Tar Heels.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Overall, the SEC tends to lose more to other SEC schools than non-conference opponents. For example, of all losses by SEC schools, only 9 were to non conference. ACC by contrast, is 14.

You could argue that, for example, LSU is not very good due to its record. But, the Tigers would probably beat the snot out of a nonconference opponent.
Wisconsin says hello. They destroyed LSU three times as bad as the score.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The single thing that the SEC has over the ACC, which is not even close to being debatable, is that they do a better job of putting butts in the seats and getting them all stoked up. Besides that, there is little difference. In fact, I would give the ACC the edge this year. Let's see it play out after rivlary games and bowls, but I expect the ACC to end up on the better end of the stick this season.

They have more subscriptions to recruiting intelligence providers, so naturally, their recruiting rankings will be higher to keep people interested.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree the sec is better, I just feel as if the acc has gained ground. The reason I say the acc could be even wit the. in the next couple years is because of the uprising of Clemson, and Louisville plus you already have Florida state. I also think Miami and VT are going to get where they could be a consistent 9 or 10 win teams, and this Imo will change the outlook of the acc in a major way, kids will want to play against other good teams, and will understand there is good football outside of the sec. Now, I'm not saying this will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. You will also have competitive teams in GT (possibly a consistent 9 or 10 win team for GT if we get a top 30 D consistantly) and the Tar Heels.

I'm not sure you can have half the ACC being nine or ten win teams since they have to play each other. I suspect you might see a rotation of the top half dozen teams having excellent seasons, but no bama emerging.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure you can have half the ACC being nine or ten win teams since they have to play each other. I suspect you might see a rotation of the top half dozen teams having excellent seasons, but no bama emerging.
You could easily have 5 teams in the acc with 9 to 10 wins this year, all that would take is VT, FSU, and the Tar Heels winning out and they all could do that. with bowl games you could have 7 or 8 teams in the acc with 9 wins. That would take 2 of these 3 winning out, I'm not including wake forest on this because I don't think they will beat Clemson, but GT, Miami, and Pitt could all end up with 9 wins after bowl games are over. And either of those three teams could have been a regular season 9 win team with just one extra win.