Coaching Upgrade?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Johnson started as QB for #25 SDSU. Perhaps we lost the only real QB we had? The answer may have been not what we had, but what did we lose.
Without looking at their schedule, I'd posit that SDSU faced a predominately less stout defense while LJ was QB there than he faced when he was at Tech trying to succeed. I am and always have been a huge fan of LJ. I am thrilled he has found success.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Without looking at their schedule, I'd posit that SDSU faced a predominately less stout defense while LJ was QB there than he faced when he was at Tech trying to succeed. I am and always have been a huge fan of LJ. I am thrilled he has found success.
But theoretically at least, he had less talent surrounding him on offense. It works both ways.

JacketFan137

Banned
After thinking back, think you're probably right, maybe JT could have been in a regular offense. Think he was told he could try QB at 'bama originally, then Saban said no thus he came to GT. Joe H did it in regular offense, so maybe JT could have.
i think nesbitt could have been successful in an offense that was a little bit more passing. not a full on air raid offense but i think he could do well running the offense urban meyer used at florida or something similar to malzahn’s offense

when i was referring to guys that weren’t real qbs i meant the guys like tevin, tobias oliver, taquon marshall and jordan yates that couldn’t throw the ball downfield with any consistency. they could probably run the flexbone well but nothing else

slugboy

Staff member
i think nesbitt could have been successful in an offense that was a little bit more passing. not a full on air raid offense but i think he could do well running the offense urban meyer used at florida or something similar to malzahn’s offense

when i was referring to guys that weren’t real qbs i meant the guys like tevin, tobias oliver, taquon marshall and jordan yates that couldn’t throw the ball downfield with any consistency. they could probably run the flexbone well but nothing else
I think Tevin gets a bad rap as a passer, and spread the ball around as well as anyone we had in the past 15 years. If you’re saying that his deep ball was lacking, then I understand, but I think he’d have been a fine RPO or air raid qb. He’d make hay in intermediate passing

JacketFan137

Banned
I think Tevin gets a bad rap as a passer, and spread the ball around as well as anyone we had in the past 15 years. If you’re saying that his deep ball was lacking, then I understand, but I think he’d have been a fine RPO or air raid qb. He’d make hay in intermediate passing
yeah i think he is one of our best qbs mentally but he just didn’t have the physical tools to be a great player at this level so i wouldn’t want him throwing the ball 25 times a game against p5 opponents. probably would have run roughshod at georgia southern or another fcs/g5 team

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Likely their schedule was easier but they were 1-1 against Top 25, we were 0-4. They beat #10 Utah and lost to #24 Utah St.

The point was that there was talent on the roster, maybe not the prototypical type the new staff wanted. It would have been possible to cobble winning seasons together without burning the house down. CGC could have transitioned to his style over the first 2-3 years without all the misery he’s been inflicting on us. It has been tough to watch us play the last 3 years. Year 4 we’ve got new coaching but with all the bad attrition, I don’t have my hopes up. These portal players better be all they’e cracked up to be otherwise it’s going to be a long and painful year.

JacketFan137

Banned
Likely their schedule was easier but they were 1-1 against Top 25, we were 0-4. They beat #10 Utah and lost to #24 Utah St.

The point was that there was talent on the roster, maybe not the prototypical type the new staff wanted. It would have been possible to cobble winning seasons together without burning the house down. CGC could have transitioned to his style over the first 2-3 years without all the misery he’s been inflicting on us. It has been tough to watch us play the last 3 years. Year 4 we’ve got new coaching but with all the bad attrition, I don’t have my hopes up. These portal players better be all they’e cracked up to be otherwise it’s going to be a long and painful year.
the 4 teams we played are honestly all better than utah. and to put into perspective how good lucas johnson is he made his way to montana after entering the portal. unless he’s going to play school then that is a downgrade and it wasn’t like he had p5 teams lining up to get him

he would have been a starter in 2019 but i think aside from that everything else is exactly the same

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Based on your first comment, I don't think you read my post clearly. LJ was given an opportunity to make it happen at Tech and didn't. He chose to go to SDSU and did well. I'm thrilled for him, as he seems to be being the best he can be.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yeah i think he is one of our best qbs mentally but he just didn’t have the physical tools to be a great player at this level so i wouldn’t want him throwing the ball 25 times a game against p5 opponents. probably would have run roughshod at georgia southern or another fcs/g5 team
Man, you are brutal on Tech players.

JacketFan137

Banned
Man, you are brutal on Tech players.
i’m pretty active in a lot of gambling circles on the internet on different forums and group chats. if i talk about sports it’s just habitual to be honest about them even if it’s brutally honest

probably comes across harsher than i really feel when it’s over the internet in text.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i’m pretty active in a lot of gambling circles on the internet on different forums and group chats. if i talk about sports it’s just habitual to be honest about them even if it’s brutally honest

probably comes across harsher than i really feel when it’s over the internet in text.

...hmm, now we know who's really moving those GT money lines.