Coaching Upgrade?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
CGC corrected a major organizational error.
He tried to transition in year 1 using 3 qbs who had been recruited for the cpj offense. The qb position touches the ball every play and is the key to every play.

Having the oc coach the qbs while running the offense has delayed their development. CGC should have fixed this way sooner.

Weinke has very good credentials and adding him to Long is a major major up grade.

Adding long looks like a head to head upgrade at oc Him handling the TE looks like a wash. While he has other duties as oc , he has a strong track record .

The very experienced DE hire is a big upgrade to Coleman ( except recruiting) who had 1 year as asst DL coach at NFL team and 3 years at gt. Coach Knight was a rookie hire at gt.

In year 1 of cgc he had DL and de coaches who were rookies. This is a Collins mistake.

The new guy with Knight will call way more complicated DL rush. With this and the maturing of the DL players we can see major dividends. Plus Knight has been growing as a coach, has added 2 4 star DT. so I hope we find a way to keep him .

Imo Assuming some likely progression in ol the Sims play will be very significantly improved.

I would be happy about good offense prospects in 23 if we had a good qb and a good dl in 22!

Imo CGC has made moves in that direction .

The lbs and cb and safeties have been so disorganized and have so far to go I just am hoping. I have never seen anything like our safety play over last 2 years. What the heck was cgc been doing on defense remains a mystery.
Pray for defense.
I hope this is true.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
That's once again going to be the biggest question mark for the 2022 season - the all-important offensive line. Wish we'd had a coaching upgrade there.
The last part of your statement says to me that Nick Saban kept CBK around coaching those championship OL because Nick is just a really nice guy, have a feeling that ain't so. Looks to me like we need to recruit better at the OL position. I'm not quite as concerned about the OL for this fall as you are, but am concerned, mostly at LT

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The last part of your statement says to me that Nick Saban kept CBK around coaching those championship OL because Nick is just a really nice guy, have a feeling that ain't so. Looks to me like we need to recruit better at the OL position. I'm not quite as concerned about the OL for this fall as you are, but am concerned, mostly at LT
On the flip side of that if Nick really wanted him to stay at Alabama then he would have stayed at Alabama. It's hard to judge a coach based on their performance with overwhelming talent. In the time he has been here the results on the field have been pretty poor, and the recruiting at the position hasn't been great either. We could have paid someone else alot less money for similar results.

JacketFan137

Banned
So tired of hearing that the problems are due to CPJ
he didn’t blame cpj. it’s just a factual statement that the qbs here when collins arrived were just not real qbs.

really this was still a collins error and he could have handled things differently. probably should have done a slow transition into a modern spread offense rather than immediately try to make us balanced. i don’t think he realized just how bad the offensive talent was for any system but the option when he arrived.

JacketFan137

Banned
Long, Semore, Turner and Tillman are clear upgrades.
Wienke is a probable upgrade and Daniels is a wash.

If my belief is correct that this team has been held back because of coaching, we should be much improved next season.
I just hope everyone is clear on their responsibilities and we have a harmonious mesh on the coaching staff next year.
Still a little fuzzy on the DC situation.
weinke does not have to show a whole lot to be an upgrade imo. sims mistakes are almost all mental and i think that’s down to poor o line play and coaching patenaude being responsible there. to make matters worth jordan yates made just as many if not more mental mistakes.

a lot of that is o line cause pressure on a young qb is just a disaster waiting to happen but still think patenaude should have done more with our qbs

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Those two coaches were leaving on an upward trajectory. GT is now no more than a bus stop, for a bright career. Those coaches just needed a resume builder. Stay at Tech and stymie their families financial futures?

what say you Swarmites?

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s fairly obvious you’re not looking at all of the info together or just aren’t thinking critically about the events that transpired. If Ivey saw the feeding frenzy for Gibbs, why didn’t he enter the portal in November when Gibbs did, or December when Gibbs committed to Bama.

Choice and Coleman made career moves. I agree. Literally no one has said otherwise. But what you don’t seem to get is that their decisions to make those moves had a sizable impact on Gibbs’ and Ivey’s decisions. It’s all right there. I even outlined the timelines for you. It’s cut and dry. You think it’s all coincidental that MSU’s DL coach left, Ivey entered the portal, and MSU hired Coleman all within a couple of weeks? I’m really not sure why you’re acting like Gibbs and/or Ivey made their decisions without prior knowledge that the coaches were leaving. You have it backwards thinking that Choice and Coleman left after Gibbs and Ivey made their decisions instead of the other way around. Also, I said that it wasn’t going to be 100% that they both stay anyway. But it’s far more likely one or both stay if Choice and Coleman stay.

Either way it’s irrelevant now.
You both make good points. Gibbs is an unusually focused young man. He would not undermine his relationship with teammates during the season. He did not. If he can survive Bama practice, his trophy bedazzled payday is enhanced many fold!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Come on man. News of both Gibbs and Ivey transferring or entering the portal emerged just days before news Choice and Coleman accepted new positions. Do you really think it’s a coincidence? Coaching hires don’t happen in a day. It’s likely Choice and Coleman had been interviewed for multiple jobs and had already “accepted” new positions by the time Gibbs and Ivey entered the portal, it just hadn’t been made official. Choice and Coleman were Gibbs’ and Ivey’s primary recruiters, and likely the main reason both ended up at Tech. Yeah, there probably were some other factors that led to both transferring, but surely you aren’t naive enough to believe they were purely coincidental with Choice and Coleman leaving.
Hey Slug I am not agreeing with this because you might shut me down for good! And I understand that reason! But that last message I sent and was removed well; that message is really horrible!!! Folks this was not about sports!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
On the flip side of that if Nick really wanted him to stay at Alabama then he would have stayed at Alabama. It's hard to judge a coach based on their performance with overwhelming talent. In the time he has been here the results on the field have been pretty poor, and the recruiting at the position hasn't been great either. We could have paid someone else alot less money for similar results.
Well, Brent while at Bama was the olc in all of college football; plus a former great ol man at Tech!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I have said the same about Key in other posts. He may be great with coaching up, I certainly hope so. But so far, the results have been disappointing, IMO. Make or break year for CGC and Key is the "key" :p:p

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I’m not going to remove anyone for disagreeing with me ;)
nice response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope this is true.
So tired of hearing that the problems are due to cpj
he didn’t blame cpj. it’s just a factual statement that the qbs here when collins arrived were just not real qbs.

really this was still a collins error and he could have handled things differently. probably should have done a slow transition into a modern spread offense rather than immediately try to make us balanced. i don’t think he realized just how bad the offensive talent was for any system but the option when he arrived

GT33

Helluva Engineer
yes.

james graham transferred to southern and didn’t play.

tobias oliver played a different position last year

jordan yates was…whatever you call his performance this year. now stuck in the portal

demtrius knight plays a new position
not exactly a long list of qb quality and can’t miss talent
Lucas Johnson started as QB for #25 SDSU. Perhaps we lost the only real QB we had? The answer may have been not what we had, but what did we lose.