Coaching revolving door in motion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Auburn hires Boise St's coach? He basically spent his while career in Idaho. Whew, I don't know about that one.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Auburn hires Boise St's coach? He basically spent his while career in Idaho. Whew, I don't know about that one.

Really surprising choice. Recruiting is regional. He won't have the contacts in the SE. He'll have to hire some assistants with good rolodexes for Auburn's recruiting grounds.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Really surprising choice. Recruiting is regional. He won't have the contacts in the SE. He'll have to hire some assistants with good rolodexes for Auburn's recruiting grounds.
He will be told who his assistants will be, in a lot of cases. They will do what they have to do to keep Kevin Steele. I am surprised with this choice also, but I believe a lot of coaches in the south already know how difficult this job is, having to compete against sa(t)an and knowing you won't recruit as well. But, even worse than that is dealing with the power brokers at Auburn (like "yella fella") - I have heard they are extremely difficult to keep happy, unless you do exactly what they want.

Jk8Fan

Georgia Tech Fan
He will be told who his assistants will be, in a lot of cases. They will do what they have to do to keep Kevin Steele. I am surprised with this choice also, but I believe a lot of coaches in the south already know how difficult this job is, having to compete against sa(t)an and knowing you won't recruit as well. But, even worse than that is dealing with the power brokers at Auburn (like "yella fella") - I have heard they are extremely difficult to keep happy, unless you do exactly what they want.
Should help GT pick up some recruits. Throwing the ball around at Boise isn't gonna have much impact drawing recruits to Auburn. I suppose Napier was approached, gave his demand that it would be his team, and the powers that be said "no way, you answer to yella wood"
Napier will end up at a P-5 within a few years

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't he coach at Ark St?

I still think it's a risky play. He's a pretty good coach, but who knows how he will recruit in the SEC

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wasn't he coach at Ark St?

I still think it's a risky play. He's a pretty good coach, but who knows how he will recruit in the SEC
Yes. For a year. Prior to that, most of his experience is /was in Texas and at Boise state. So I assume his connections in the SE will be fairly limited.

Auburn has a history of good recruiting. And paying people. I'm sure they will do fine.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Auburn had a LOT of drama going on behind the scenes. Imagine being a school where the boosters think they own the program. Yikes. Also, Kevin Steele basically schemed his way out of his own job. I can't imagine another coach willing to hire him knowing how he schemed to get a HC fired so he could be put into the HC job. I'm pretty sure a lot of that goes on at a lot of levels...but man, that's some kind of craziness going on in the Plains.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sark did an awesome job at Bammer as OC, but he does have some issues in the past - I am kind of surprised he would want to jump in to such a LARGE hot seat job right off the bat - hoping for him, he can handle the pressure without any of his past "demons" - Texas will expect immediate success.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Holy sh!t...'Bama wasted ZERO time. Timing of this makes you go hmmm:

Dissatisfied with his role in the game? I wonder what that's about? Rules tell him what he can and can't do during the game (absolutely nothing), and Yabba Dabo would have been stupid to let him close to the team, given that he was covid positive.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if the dissatisfaction materialized before or after the job offer and accompanying 900K pay raise? That might cause one to reevaluate their job satisfaction in a serious manner! :)

(Note that I am merely speculating about this possibility because I cannot at the moment recall if I was ever offered an annual increase that large. My first blush answer is "No, I haven't" but I am just shooting from the hip here without serious reflection.)

The part about being dissatisfied about not calling plays in playoff makes zero sense. That was the ACC protocol- Dabo had no options. They weren’t even allowed to be in communication with him during game.

What kind of protocol says that you can't call a game remotely? That's just asinine and has nothing to do with health.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What kind of protocol says that you can't call a game remotely? That's just asinine and has nothing to do with health.
There's an NCAA rule that you can't do it. Maybe looking at replays from 7 different angles would give you and advantage. Maybe they think Saban would install 20 more cameras and hire 20 assistants to monitor them and relay any observations in near real time. Either way, its against the rules.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Sark did an awesome job at Bammer as OC, but he does have some issues in the past - I am kind of surprised he would want to jump in to such a LARGE hot seat job right off the bat - hoping for him, he can handle the pressure without any of his past "demons" - Texas will expect immediate success.
Sark has just survived one of the best coaching crucibles the last two years in Tuscaloosa. If Saban didn't think Sark had at least learned to control his demons, he'd never have (1) hired him and (2) given a thumbs up to the crowd in Austin.

As much as many of us don't give a tinker's damn about Saban or the way he does business, those boys don't operate that way. They care a lot about how anyone they vouch for performs, You can bet the house the sobriety question came up in the "due diligence" discussions the UT AD had before offering the job to Sark. From what I've read, Sark will hang around another week & call plays in the MNC game. If you'll recall, Kiffin didn't get that option after accepting the FAU job. Here's your sign....

My son-in-law is a UT Law grad & season ticket holder in Austin. Will pass along what he hears in Austin in the coming days.