Coaching Ranking by E$PN

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Ross had a 39-19-1 record at Maryland with 3 ACC championships. Had a losing record at Citadel though. Still a good college record.

Bob

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Evidently you was never around CBR cause if you had of been you would know he was as good a football coach as any . Who else has done at TECH what he did and he took the Chargers to the super bowl.
Nope. But his college record was something like 103-101. That is a far cry from "best".
Ross had a 39-19-1 record at Maryland with 3 ACC championships. Had a losing record at Citadel though. Still a good college record.

Bob
No. His college record was 103-101 I believe. He had some bad years, and when he tried to revive Army his record skidded.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I was really happy to see Eddie Robinson ranked so high.

Not unlike Dodd, he did so much for his players in developing them as men. And man he put some studs in the NFL.

He embraced a bunch of poor kids that would not have gotten a chance anywhere else.

Back in the 70’s I read an article how, upon arriving at Grambling, he would set them down at a dinner table and teach them what all the utensils where for. He really cared about his players, and I have a hunch he could have stood tall against the big boys on the field.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Neyland sounds like a guy I would liked to have met. Don't know why exactly, but I would have enjoyed it.
Everything I've read or heard about him makes me think the same. While Dodd and Neyland had different approaches they both appear to have been extremely generous, honorable, and shrewd men.

I would like to habe a beer with both.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Bob

If CBR had been able to just win a couple of the squeakers he lost to PSU while he was at Maryland, he might have built a machine there.

He is a great evaluator of kids that could play.