Coaching Carousel

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If we had the CPJ from 2008, we'd have won 10 games this year. He's become way too conservative. His scheme works, just needs to evolve a little.

I had a similar conversation 30 years ago with Rip Scherer when he was on Curry's staff. I questioned why they were so conservative. The take away was that less talent tends toward more conservatism. You can question the philosophy, but I believe that is the answer to the difference between GT 2008 and GT 2013.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I had a similar conversation 30 years ago with Rip Scherer when he was on Curry's staff. I questioned why they were so conservative. The take away was that less talent tends toward more conservatism. You can question the philosophy, but I believe that is the answer to the difference between GT 2008 and GT 2013.
I have to believe that is the truth. It just makes too much sense, to think otherwise is like investing in lottery tickets for your retirement.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Rumor mill has it that 2-3 NFL teams are going after Franklin at Vandy and O'Brien at PSU. I assume 4-5 more coaches may get the NFL axe on Black Monday. The carousel could really be spinning in a week or two.

gtdrew

Banned
James Franklin in the NFL would be something I'd like to see. Not because I think it would work, mind you, but I'd just like to see it...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would not be surprised to see a spread option attack in the NFL soon. It may not be this year, but the success Chip is having may spur some more variation in offensive styles. I think Urban may get a call in a few years.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see Franklin go. He has been nothing but a thorn in our side since he took that job. Plus the Vandy job isn't great at all. He has a low cieling there. Hopefully he realizes this and goes somewhere far far away.

Rumor mill has it that 2-3 NFL teams are going after Franklin at Vandy and O'Brien at PSU. I assume 4-5 more coaches may get the NFL axe on Black Monday. The carousel could really be spinning in a week or two.
I think Fisher, Malzahn, and Briles are untouchable. If Texas can't hit a home run with someone like Gruden, Butch Davis is out there. I think Dabo Swinney would look good in burnt orange, too.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I think Fisher, Malzahn, and Briles are untouchable. If Texas can't hit a home run with someone like Gruden, Butch Davis is out there. I think Dabo Swinney would look good in burnt orange, too.

You think Butch Davis is hitting a home run? UNC is a mess because of him, I think not imho.

Gruden if he coaches again, will go back to the pro's. Just don't see him dealing with all the BS in college.

The money Texas has could make just about anybody touchable, if not entertain the idea. I'll bet ya Saban thought about it.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't Auburn resign Malzahn to a new multiyear contract. If so, and he signed it, then there would be a huge buyout. Other than that, I could easily see Texas going for him.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck

This is why I think you give CPJ more time to work things out (aside from the huge buyout). We're actually getting some good talent into the program now--does that mean we start to see more aggressive play-calling again?

You think Butch Davis is hitting a home run? UNC is a mess because of him, I think not imho.

Gruden if he coaches again, will go back to the pro's. Just don't see him dealing with all the BS in college.

The money Texas has could make just about anybody touchable, if not entertain the idea. I'll bet ya Saban thought about it.
No sir, I said getting Gruden would be the "homerun". Butch Davis would be the fallback position. I know he's a d-bag, but won a national championship at Miami, stocked the shelves with talent so that Coker won one, and it is a fact that he brought in tremendous talent when he was at UNC. Great players make great coaches, I've heard.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a firm believer of the team being a mirror image of its coach. If you see a well coached team, it will generally win without the great players. Give me a coach that knows how to place his talent into systems that amplify their talent rather than trying to place square pegs into round holes. Well coached teams have good discipline, few mistakes, few penalties, and the players are coached upward using the individual talents of each player. Once a coach has proven that he can win with average players, his winning record will then attract the better players. A good coaches record improves over the years, not because he had the great players at the beginning, but that better players are attracted to the winning programs.