Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Article on potential replacements at OK

If Porter Moser moves on from Loyola where might he end up

FWIW, i'd take the Marquette job before the Indiana job as well.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Krueger here as well. Just a good coach period. I’m happy with Pastner and company though.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are some whispers that Smart could be in play at Marquette (he is a WI native).

That TX situation is pretty interesting. In 6 seasons Shaka has 3 NCAA appearences with an 0-3 mark and two 20 win seasons. Texas moves into a new arena after next season. So i expect if he does stay at TX he is going to have to do well next year or they will look to replace him before the new arena opens. He would be owed $7M if he was fired now. So i'm guessing that the TX brass would not be that upset if he was able to land another job and save them the do we keep him or do we pay him off decision.

Moser would also make a ton of sense for Marquette. Going from one Jesuit basketball school to another. Only 90 min from where he is now so he could basically recruit the same area but with more resources. I would also think Dennis Gates would be a strong option for Marquette.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are some whispers that Smart could be in play at Marquette (he is a WI native).

That TX situation is pretty interesting. In 6 seasons Shaka has 3 NCAA appearences with an 0-3 mark and two 20 win seasons. Texas moves into a new arena after next season. So i expect if he does stay at TX he is going to have to do well next year or they will look to replace him before the new arena opens. He would be owed $7M if he was fired now. So i'm guessing that the TX brass would not be that upset if he was able to land another job and save them the do we keep him or do we pay him off decision.

Moser would also make a ton of sense for Marquette. Going from one Jesuit basketball school to another. Only 90 min from where he is now so he could basically recruit the same area but with more resources. I would also think Dennis Gates would be a strong option for Marquette.
Shaka was a sensation at VCU because their expectations, and also those of the media, were much lower than what UT supporters will tolerate long term. I am not sure it will be much better at Marquette, but it also won't be the Big 12 schedule. He could be much more comfortable there.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shaka was a sensation at VCU because their expectations, and also those of the media, were much lower than what UT supporters will tolerate long term. I am not sure it will be much better at Marquette, but it also won't be the Big 12 schedule. He could be much more comfortable there.
Pretty bad take on VCU, to be honest.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Nah, this isn't true. A coach could exist for a long time at Texas before most people notice or care. They're too busy worrying who the backup left tackle's gonna be at DesSoto HS next year. Meanwhile, VCU basketball is the headliner there and had a rich history of winning prior to him being there.

Marquette and VCU are pretty comparable spots, in a basketball sense.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nah, this isn't true. A coach could exist for a long time at Texas before most people notice or care. They're too busy worrying who the backup left tackle's gonna be at DesSoto HS next year. Meanwhile, VCU basketball is the headliner there and had a rich history of winning prior to him being there.

Marquette and VCU are pretty comparable spots, in a basketball sense.
Pretty correct take on VCU, to be honest.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not worried about Pastner to anywhere right now.

TX is going to open the checkbook for someone, they have so much money (not that that means they will hire the right guy - just they will spend alot of money).

if I was a coach i'd probably take either of the TX or OK jobs before IN. Both of those can pay you alot of money and give you alot of resources and you will have to produce, but fans don't pay nearly as much attention to or put as much pressure on the bball coach as IN does.

The Marquette boards are sort of fun. For the most part they appear pretty happy but some of their fans feel they have traded one underachieving coach for another underachieving coach. It's just hard to get the fanbases completely on board these days.