Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to keep an eye on. I always felt there was something odd about Marshall not getting poached by "blue blood" types after decades of probably being the best non P5 coach in the country.

Sometimes, ADs know a LOT more about candidates than they're willing to say or should say.

slugboy

Staff member
Something to keep an eye on. I always felt there was something odd about Marshall not getting poached by "blue blood" types after decades of probably being the best non P5 coach in the country.

Sometimes, ADs know a LOT more about candidates than they're willing to say or should say.

Some of the other articles have written how much funding he gets from the Koch family (having billionaires behind you helps, especially when the school president doesn’t).
So far, few to none of his former assistants or players are defending him.
A comment was interesting to me—how many coaches are like him at the low and mid-major level that just can’t bring that baggage to a P5? It can’t be that many, and Marshall has a rep worse than almost anybody, but still...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I personally have always found it odd that he wouldn't jump to a better job. I get it. He's paid well and has the run of the place. He'd almost have to look for reasons to leave.

But, that's kinda what all high-level coaches end up doing. Look for the next challenge. It's odd, to me, that he's stayed and never really seemed to come close to looking much less leaving.

Could simply be because he's comfortable there. Clearly his family's comfortable there. Maybe it's just that .... or it could be he's found an environment that enables him to abuse people and he didn't want to disrupt that by going to a place that may not put up with it?

I don't know which, but these allegations kinda force you to ponder.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I personally have always found it odd that he wouldn't jump to a better job. I get it. He's paid well and has the run of the place. He'd almost have to look for reasons to leave.

But, that's kinda what all high-level coaches end up doing. Look for the next challenge. It's odd, to me, that he's stayed and never really seemed to come close to looking much less leaving.

Could simply be because he's comfortable there. Clearly his family's comfortable there. Maybe it's just that .... or it could be he's found an environment that enables him to abuse people and he didn't want to disrupt that by going to a place that may not put up with it?

I don't know which, but these allegations kinda force you to ponder.
Almost every time there has been a P6 coaching vacancy his name is circulated as a prime candidate, but never the actual hire. It's been a puzzlement for sure.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If he was totally happy with his current situation, his name would never show up in coaching searches. Outside of an occasional mention, he controls whether he wants to be considered and thus mentioned by search teams. IMHO the fact he is mentioned so much means he is open and potentially at times campaigning for jobs.

The fact he has never actually been hired is to me due to a combination of his high price point and a reputation for being hard to deal with if you are an AD. I didn't know - or hadn't seen anything about being abusive of players, etc. but it isn't incredibly surprising.

slugboy

Staff member
If he was totally happy with his current situation, his name would never show up in coaching searches. Outside of an occasional mention, he controls whether he wants to be considered and thus mentioned by search teams. IMHO the fact he is mentioned so much means he is open and potentially at times campaigning for jobs.

The fact he has never actually been hired is to me due to a combination of his high price point and a reputation for being hard to deal with if you are an AD. I didn't know - or hadn't seen anything about being abusive of players, etc. but it isn't incredibly surprising.
If you win, but you’re hard to work with, there’s a P5 AD willing to take you on.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you win, but you’re hard to work with, there’s a P5 AD willing to take you on.
I think that is true in the middle to upper middle ranges of college BB. His pay rate says the only place he is going is a top program and IMHO they ain't putting up with that personality. They have better options. He could go to Illinois or Oregon State any day of the week but they don't want the price tag.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would he move? There's no reason Wichita st can't be a Gonzaga with a path to the tournament and a high seed every year. Koch money buys him all the resources he wants and a pretty high salary.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CJP makes Goodman's hot seat list, but do we really think GT is in position to buy him out if he falls short of expectations?

slugboy

Staff member
On the hot seat this year? You’d think the hot seat would have been one of the last few years and not this one.
CJP makes Goodman's hot seat list, but do we really think GT is in position to buy him out if he falls short of expectations?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
anyone who hasn't been to the NCAA tourney going into year 5 is going to make a hot seat list. Especially an ACC level team.
I have every hope he gets to the tourney this year but being on a list like this isn't surprising.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will be interesting to see where Marshall lands. Someone will be willing to hire him - he is a heck of a coach, but probably not a P5 type school. Some mid major will.

Also on Pastner. Unless this team has an awful season i think he is back for season 6. The last 2 recruiting classes, the play the last half of last season and the pandemic make it pretty unlikely GT would make a move right now imo. GT is going to be cash strapped so I can't see them having the money to hire someone better right now.

I'm going to hope we keep trending up so we don't have to think about this too much.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

An AD who knows a coach is abusive to players but keeps him employed because he wins should be fired along with the coach.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be interesting to see where Marshall lands. Someone will be willing to hire him - he is a heck of a coach, but probably not a P5 type school. Some mid major will.

Also on Pastner. Unless this team has an awful season i think he is back for season 6. The last 2 recruiting classes, the play the last half of last season and the pandemic make it pretty unlikely GT would make a move right now imo. GT is going to be cash strapped so I can't see them having the money to hire someone better right now.

I'm going to hope we keep trending up so we don't have to think about this too much.
Even with a bad season, I'm not sure we'd make a change with everything that's going on.