Coaching Acumen of the New Staff...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A second question comes to mind, and it was raised in an article somewhere. Is there a "tipping point" where the hype does not live up to expectations and it collapses? I do not anticipate it and do not have nearly the dismal outlook that predictions are forecasting (I think a 6-6 season is where we will be)
CPJ "lost" the team a few times for a period, or so it seemed.
So if the worst case happens......go something like 3-9 the next two years for example......does that become the point of no return? Less wins, more wins? This is not tended as a rip on the new staff.....simply a "what if"and "at what point"
It is fairly obvious that if the opposite occurred.....a couple of 9-3 seasons and the train could really take off.
I don't think Coach would survive a couple of 3 - 9 seasons. Expectations are too high and that kind of record will not help recruiting one bit.

I don't know how we'll do next year. All I'm hoping for is that we play well, especially in the big games. If we lose by close scores and the effort is there, Coach will get another year or two, especially if the subsequent recruiting is up to snuff. If it isn't …

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO you won’t see the in game adjustments like we did with CPJ. Part of the reason is scheme. There will be wrinkles to take advantage of mismatches, but you really need elite talent to take full advantage of the spread scheme IMO. Defenses have changed because of the popularity of the spread. The big run stuffing defenses that the spread exposed are gone. If you can’t create mismatches it is going to be a long day. CPJ’s scheme did this by getting numbers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A second question comes to mind, and it was raised in an article somewhere. Is there a "tipping point" where the hype does not live up to expectations and it collapses? I do not anticipate it and do not have nearly the dismal outlook that predictions are forecasting (I think a 6-6 season is where we will be)
CPJ "lost" the team a few times for a period, or so it seemed.
So if the worst case happens......go something like 3-9 the next two years for example......does that become the point of no return? Less wins, more wins? This is not tended as a rip on the new staff.....simply a "what if"and "at what point"
It is fairly obvious that if the opposite occurred.....a couple of 9-3 seasons and the train could really take off.
Not so fast!
If we go 9-3, this board would be so over the top optimistic that we will need your restraint.
Going 6-6 we will be self restrainting .

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Wow I could not disagree more with the premise of the initial post.

If CGC attempts 4th conversions on our own half of the field in the first half even 5% of the times CPJ did, that will be too many. Football coaches in general are so idiotic that you can win a good amount of games with no talent as long as you don’t make game decisions like an 8 year old playing Madden NFL 19. See: David Cutcliffe

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if I care how good at in-game adjustments CGC is. I need his OC and DC to be great, and I need Collins to be a CEO.
I think your are going to be happy.

Thats kind of what he said at the north atl alumni meeting w one exception - he is 100% involved w the defensive secondary in practice. He said its the most talented group and he expects a lot of players will rotate in.
. It sounds like he s letting the oc handle play calling but u can bet he will be commenting over head set.

Imo, he will be more involved w defense . He said that in past spring games they had 4 defensive packages and this year he had 5. 5 of the 24 packages they have.

He also said they will almost never run the same blitz package. I got the impression he wants to keep very close tabs on the db s and will be aggressive with lots of schemes. He wants to totally change the perception of gt defense.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Wow I could not disagree more with the premise of the initial post.

If CGC attempts 4th conversions on our own half of the field in the first half even 5% of the times CPJ did, that will be too many. Football coaches in general are so idiotic that you can win a good amount of games with no talent as long as you don’t make game decisions like an 8 year old playing Madden NFL 19. See: David Cutcliffe

I too take issue with the original post, but for different reasons. To ask if a new staff has the necessary coaching acumen is a (forgive me,OP) ridiculous question to ask on so many levels. First, it implies that the folks who made the hiring decisions —i.e., Stansbury and CGC— probably don’t know what they’re doing. Secondly, it implies that a bunch of fans who hang out on message boards know more than those who work full-time at the job. The OP is asking us to second-guess them and pass judgement on whether they know what they’re doing. Thirdly, who the hell knows? The staff’s first season is still months away.

Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We will be fine. Johnson had his moments of brilliant adjustments and was good overall but he wasn't far and away ahead of the pack like people made him out to be. Partially because being able to spot the correct adjustment doesn't do you any good if you haven't prepared your players to be able to do what is needed. That especially was true later on once the college landscape changed in general and more great offensive minds started emerging. Defensively we'll have an instant upgrade almost by default.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I too take issue with the original post, but for different reasons. To ask if a new staff has the necessary coaching acumen is a (forgive me,OP) ridiculous question to ask on so many levels. First, it implies that the folks who made the hiring decisions —i.e., Stansbury and CGC— probably don’t know what they’re doing. Secondly, it implies that a bunch of fans who hang out on message boards know more than those who work full-time at the job. The OP is asking us to second-guess them and pass judgement on whether they know what they’re doing. Thirdly, who the hell knows? The staff’s first season is still months away.

I asked a very simple question: Is there evidence that demonstrates the ability of the new staff to effectively coach a ball game? If such evidence exists, I haven't seen it...

I don't doubt that Stansbury and CGC know what they are doing, and I am NOT second-guessing anyone... The point of the post was the last question - does anyone know what to expect from this staff in terms of developing an effective game plan, executing that plan, adjusting to opportunities/obstacles, effectively managing the clock, effectively using personnel, and all the other things that are not branding and recruiting...

And in regards to decision making, even when people know what they're doing, they're not immune from making a mistake... I am sure the folks that hired Butch Jones felt just like the folks that hired Dabo Swinney...

LibertyTurns

Banned
I asked a very simple question: Is there evidence that demonstrates the ability of the new staff to effectively coach a ball game? If such evidence exists, I haven't seen it...

I don't doubt that Stansbury and CGC know what they are doing, and I am NOT second-guessing anyone... The point of the post was the last question - does anyone know what to expect from this staff in terms of developing an effective game plan, executing that plan, adjusting to opportunities/obstacles, effectively managing the clock, effectively using personnel, and all the other things that are not branding and recruiting...

And in regards to decision making, even when people know what they're doing, they're not immune from making a mistake... I am sure the folks that hired Butch Jones felt just like the folks that hired Dabo Swinney...
Nobody really knows so they reverted to picking sides between new & old so we could have another GT schwanz measuring contest.

On a side note I do find it interesting that the hypesters are generally predicting poor results next 2-3 seasons whereas the non-hypsters have a more optimistic outlook near term. Kind of strange that those less into hype seem to have more confidence in the new staff & players than the others.

Animal02

Banned

It is not a ridiculous question considering Bill Lewis in our somewhat recent past.

Animal02

Banned
Nobody really knows so they reverted to picking sides between new & old so we could have another GT schwanz measuring contest.

On a side note I do find it interesting that the hypesters are generally predicting poor results next 2-3 seasons whereas the non-hypsters have a more optimistic outlook near term. Kind of strange that those less into hype seem to have more confidence in the new staff & players than the others.
Because people not emotionally tied to the hype can look at history. Barring overwhelming injuries or totally clueless coaching, one would expect our record to fall within the historical average.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Our HC, DC, and OC all came from temple. There is a full year's worth of their in game coaching all at the same place.

Also people over blow how good Johnson was at in game adjustments. He had his moments of brilliance and was good overall but he wasn't far and away ahead of the pack like some pretended. That was in part because adjustments aren't just being able to see what needs to be done, but also having the players prepared to do what the adjustments required. He was real good at one of those two things. This was especially true as the years went on here and offensive minds around him caught up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is the $64,000 question. Did we trade a great in game coach and average recruiter for a great recruiter and average in game coach? We probably won't have a good feel for that until after the season...
I agree, but with one caveat... the head ballcoach isn’t calling plays on offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It's not strange at all. The "hypesters" largely viewed us as having a problem with the old staff and their recruiting while the "non hypesters" didn't. If you thought we had major problems it makes sense that you will have lower immediate expectations than if you didn't think we had problems, especially when the hype is centered around recruiting where the effect in improvement is delayed.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but with one caveat... the head ballcoach isn’t calling plays on offense.

If he learned from sa(t)an, he won't be calling the O plays, but he can overrule them, and since he has a headset, he can request plays to be run if he likes. With that said, our new OC is the biggest wildcard in my opinion. I am hoping he is a pleasant surprise with his strategerie.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
My biggest reservations are regarding Coach Pat, but I'll trust all of the new staff until they prove to me that they aren't worthy of it. I was excited about Groh, Roof, and Woody the same way when they first arrived and that excitement quickly diminished when I saw the product on the field. As for non-coordinator coaches, I think we made an upgrade nearly across the board. Choice was nominated for RB Coach of the Year last year, Coleman has received a ton of coaching praise from players, Popovich is one of the best ST coaches, Key is regarded as a Top 3 OL coach, etc. I don't think most know that our previous staff was the lowest cumulatively paid group out of all P5 coaches. I think the last coach we had poached was Charles Kelly and it seemed like we had more and more games recently where CPJ would say, "We just need to do a better job coaching them." I had faith in CPJ himself, but I never felt that strongly about the staff around him.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
HC---data base not so big, but 15-10 at Temple gets at least a B. 2021 is BIG and forget the 5 year stuff (hype has a limited shelf life).
OC---imo, if he was elite, it would have already shown. Big step down from CPJ who received a LOT of accolades from Dabo and many other HC's. The "overrated" comments above, are well......overrated.
DC--- imo, the biggest and fastest improvement by far will come here, for many different reasons. Hard to do much worse than last several years.

The 2 best coaches in GT's history have said this about judging coaching: Dodd---penalties and special teams will tell ya all you need to know, and Ross---the new regime will need our patience.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We will know how well they manage the clock, and how they manage risk/reward situations.
Yes and little things like having players on the right position, getting plays in on time, managing substitutions, TO management, etc we’ll know 2-3 games in. I’m guessing we’ll have a good feel for whether or not they’re organized and can effectively game manage will be well understood no later than half way thru the season.