Coaching Acumen of the New Staff...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I highly doubt it.

Aren’t you the one who tell us that the coaches know what they are doing. If someone is not starting? then they are doing what’s best for the team

Total sarcasm. Will should’ve been playing
There are always exceptions. But they are called outliers for a reason.

Certainly you can agree the ‘08 OL was patchwork?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But he probably should have and the ‘08 OL was patch work. Maybe even more ‘18 guys would have started in ‘08.
Will didn’t start on last year team
In 18 Will started till injured at end of usf/following monday practice.

Ol under sewak forever in roster turmoil .

Always needed new blood - at mid year or start of new year (when r shirt jr seniors left). In 15 he even fired the the 2014 orange bowl o l.

In 15 Will came in as a starting true freshmen to replace the " maybe the 14 ol guys werent so good " guys. Others came in with him but they were replaced w 3 true freshmen in 16. Note 4* shamire never motivated to slim down and was wasted at gt. Keeping Will on the 18 bowl game showed no class as the staff sent out the door. That really didnt help Will's nfl chances.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In 18 Will started till injured at end of usf/following monday practice.

Ol under sewak forever in roster turmoil .

Always needed new blood - at mid year or start of new year (when r shirt jr seniors left). In 15 he even fired the the 2014 orange bowl o l.

In 15 Will came in as a starting true freshmen to replace the " maybe the 14 ol guys werent so good " guys. Others came in with him but they were replaced w 3 true freshmen in 16. Note 4* shamire never motivated to slim down and was wasted at gt. Keeping Will on the 18 bowl game showed no class as the staff sent out the door. That really didnt help Will's nfl chances.
I thought last two years that Will had been the victim of his versatility. He could play either guard and either tackle and not every OL could do that. And we kept having injuries. Keeping Will in his hip pocket meant that Sewak could always have someone who could fill in. Also, I think he wasn't such a good drive blocker that he could clearly beat out Hansen. So keep him at the ready. Then he got a lingering injury and slipped off down the charts.

I've seen this happen before. Often it's a matter of new players that coaches helped recruit after the player involved that they think will ultimately be better. So those players get favored and former starters get set aside; that happened with Shamire when Parker beat him out. It's hard to blame anybody in situations like that. But someone has to get accused. So they do. One thing is for sure, imho; exactly the same controversies involving starting players will emerge under Coach. Take that to the bank.

slugboy

Staff member
Did like this font coloring here
upload_2019-5-26_20-20-21.png

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can you point out anyone who says GT is destined to win NCs and dominate like Clemson under CGC? I want you to specifically show us any quotes from anyone who specifically stated those things would happen.
I have not but see no reason why it can't happen one day. I do remember in 1987 , 1988 , and even 1989 no one thought Bobby Ross could. Hell anything can happen if you have no hope there is no reason to play the game.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There were a whole bunch of high’s along the way, as well. What kind of high’s by the new guy, beyond winning %, would be required to meet your bar?

...and there were just as many (if not more) accompanying lows which is why we were mediocre.

The situation Collins is walking into is that Clemson and UGag are basically guaranteed losses until things change.
I think Duke will fall off. They have owned us lately. I can't imagine Cut has that many more years left in him.
I'm worried about what Mack Brown will do with UNC. I think he's past his prime, but he can recruit and attract coordinators.
I think Pitt has plateaued, but I think Narduzzi is a good coach and they've had our number lately.
UVA is on an upswing. Bronco might be the best football coach in the Coastal.
VT is in a bad place. Fuente is classic guy that follows the legend. I suspect we see a coaching change there in the next two years.
Miami? Who knows? It seems like when Richt leaves teams get really good.

I think the Gailey/Johnson barely north of .500 would be the absolute minimum bar. I would love for us to be back in an O'Leary type situation where we look at an 8 win season as a disappointment.

slugboy

Staff member
Conversation wandered into previous coaching. Moved (some of) those to the previous coaching acumen thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Parker says hello. Will Bryan, too.
Offensive line in 2008 was pretty weak at times. Parker, Will Bryan, Connor, and Zach would all probably started in 2008. For sure we had playmakers at the skill positions and one tough son of a gun at quarterback but the offensive line was a work in progress. Coach Johnson did well to maximize their talents and schemed like crazy to hide some weaknesses.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
...and there were just as many (if not more) accompanying lows which is why we were mediocre.

The situation Collins is walking into is that Clemson and UGag are basically guaranteed losses until things change.
I think Duke will fall off. They have owned us lately. I can't imagine Cut has that many more years left in him.
I'm worried about what Mack Brown will do with UNC. I think he's past his prime, but he can recruit and attract coordinators.
I think Pitt has plateaued, but I think Narduzzi is a good coach and they've had our number lately.
UVA is on an upswing. Bronco might be the best football coach in the Coastal.
VT is in a bad place. Fuente is classic guy that follows the legend. I suspect we see a coaching change there in the next two years.
Miami? Who knows? It seems like when Richt leaves teams get really good.

I think the Gailey/Johnson barely north of .500 would be the absolute minimum bar. I would love for us to be back in an O'Leary type situation where we look at an 8 win season as a disappointment.

The "O'Leary type situation where we look at an 8 win season as a disappointment" target might take a while. The days of the Coastal being underachieving relative to the Atlantic are not going away but there is little doubt the schedule is more challenging now than when Coach Johnson started out. Our current coaches will do well. Just give them time. I don't think Coach Collins would have come here if he thought it was hopeless. Everyone of those teams in the Coastal, with the exception of Clemson, can be beaten. Of course, we could lose to a lot of those teams as well.