Coaches Turning the Page?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some of us made mention of the fact that the coaches may start playing underclassmen more to get them experience if our season starts turning south. Well, looks like we may have come to that point:

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

Looks like Matthew Jordan is finally going to see some snaps. I don't think JeT is losing his job until he graduates, but he's been awfully beat up all season, and the coaches need to see what they have in MJ. Others like Trey Klock, Brant Mitchell, AJ Gray, Will Bryan, Kyle Cerge-Henderson may see their roles get bigger.

If guys are going to take their lumps, this year and the remaining games are the time to do it. Coaches want to win now, but 2016 could be a big year and those guys will have to play a big role. Experience for them over the next few games will be invaluable to jump starting next season. (Ugh, that hurt to write...)

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I am all for it, but I don't understand why we did not do this in games 5-7. These guys might be young but we have not been as productive as needed to win so why not give some younger guys the shot?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Is AJ still hurt?
Does Summer's departure mean a redshirt get burned?
Did Dotson play this year?
What happened to Gary Brown?
Why not burn Glanton?

Anyway

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am all for it, but I don't understand why we did not do this in games 5-7. These guys might be young but we have not been as productive as needed to win so why not give some younger guys the shot?

Performance in games and practices is probably why. To play Devils advocate also, if we had done it earlier and lost to FSU due to more frosh mistakes....season would be even drearier.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is AJ still hurt?
Does Summer's departure mean a redshirt get burned?
Did Dotson play this year?
What happened to Gary Brown?
Why not burn Glanton?

Anyway

I doubt we burn a RS this late .... if they weren't competitive enough at their position to play in the first 6 games or so I'd same their extra year of eligibility.

I would have played MJ a lot more up to this point. I think to effectively run this O through the physical teams we play that we need 2 QBs just because the starter has always been beat up toward the end of the season. This year is worse for JT since we haven't had much OL blocking for run or pass to reduce the hits. The Byerly loss was one of the biggest this year since he was being groomed for the goal line dives into the pile and share some of the abuse.

Oh well, it is what it is. I just hope we beat VT and get some positive things going.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
A bowl is still possible. We still have a goal left. Two, actually.

We can't just forget about the three games we have left. The freshmen that need more practice pick up a bunch more if we can get into a bowl.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
As early as the Clemson game we have had as many as 6 freshmen playing on offense . This team has been young in all he skill positions all year . On the OL Will has started since Pitt , and this week both starting tackles are freshmen , but look for Brian to rotate in early . Tackle is a position that uses a lot of energy ( chasing linebackers ) which is sometimes like trying to catch a chicken ... A three OT rotation is needed , in games like FSU when we kept the ball away from their Offense . I think Erin is still lining up a guard . These young guys have the physical tool to succeed ( they will continue to mature ), they have to continue to improve mentally . Communication/ calls between the A backs and OT is critical and that is the youngest group on the field . This might be the best defense front we have faced this year , better than UVA ( yes UVA had some studs on the DL ) . I think we are going to punch them in the mouth , get some big plays and get the W !

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of us made mention of the fact that the coaches may start playing underclassmen more to get them experience if our season starts turning south. Well, looks like we may have come to that point:

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

Looks like Matthew Jordan is finally going to see some snaps.

If Byerly was not hurt we would have seen him a lot this year. There were several games we really needed a solid guy to come in and spell JT for a series or two. The only reason I can think of that we have not seen more of Jordan is he was not ready yet.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I doubt we burn a RS this late .... if they weren't competitive enough at their position to play in the first 6 games or so I'd same their extra year of eligibility.

I would have played MJ a lot more up to this point. I think to effectively run this O through the physical teams we play that we need 2 QBs just because the starter has always been beat up toward the end of the season. This year is worse for JT since we haven't had much OL blocking for run or pass to reduce the hits. The Byerly loss was one of the biggest this year since he was being groomed for the goal line dives into the pile and share some of the abuse.

Oh well, it is what it is. I just hope we beat VT and get some positive things going.
This may not make much sense but it's seems like the D's lately seem to know JT's tendencies and are licking their chops. Perhaps if the QB position got changed up every once in a while it might force the D's to lay back/lay off a smidge, change their tendencies enough to allow that one small opening to appear, and make some gains. What we've got going now makes it look like the D's know what are plays are before we snap the ball.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
JT took a step back this year. He seems slower with his decisions, hesitant, and not really seeing the field.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
JT took a step back this year. He seems slower with his decisions, hesitant, and not really seeing the field.

Understand what you're saying, but the backs haven't always maintained a proper pitch relationship, blockers aren't blocking who they're supposed to, and receivers aren't running routes correctly nor blocking who they should. The mesh isn't as smooth and deceiving with the new B backs as well. That's not to mention having the D in your face in second or two after the snap.

No freaking wonder he's hesitant. That's not to say JT hasn't his own set of problems, but clean up the other stuff and he'll be mysteriously better.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
Understand what you're saying, but the backs haven't always maintained a proper pitch relationship, blockers aren't blocking who they're supposed to, and receivers aren't running routes correctly nor blocking who they should. The mesh isn't as smooth and deceiving with the new B backs as well. That's not to mention having the D in your face in second or two after the snap.

No freaking wonder he's hesitant. That's not to say JT hasn't his own set of problems, but clean up the other stuff and he'll be mysteriously better.

JT and MLD seem to have zero chemistry. The pitches always seem to be off..

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

AFTER he keeps and starts down line, its more like jt sees the play as called and currently being blocked is defeated. He sees that the defenders are moving to the point of attack faster than play is developing. THERE ARE TOO MANY COMING FOR THE BLOCKING TO COVER.
With this press coverage we should be able to influence block one way and counter rocket toss the other way. We need bigger gains = not 6 yd or maybe 10 yds on Rocket Toss. We need ab to bust some tackles.
Yes I know if everyone blocks their man every play is a touchdown.

Last edited:

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

Looks like Matthew Jordan is finally going to see some snaps. I don't think JeT is losing his job until he graduates, but he's been awfully beat up all season, and the coaches need to see what they have in MJ. Others like Trey Klock, Brant Mitchell, AJ Gray, Will Bryan, Kyle Cerge-Henderson may see their roles get bigger.

If guys are going to take their lumps, this year and the remaining games are the time to do it. Coaches want to win now, but 2016 could be a big year and those guys will have to play a big role. Experience for them over the next few games will be invaluable to jump starting next season. (Ugh, that hurt to write...)
Just curious Techster, in what way could 2016 be a big year? Big for the future of GT football, or big for a 10 & 2 season.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone in this line of business looks ahead to next year. It's simply not the culture, particularly with everyone having such tenuous job security. It's also entirely unfair to the players to bag it for the rest of this year hoping to make it up next season.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like Matthew Jordan is finally going to see some snaps. I don't think JeT is losing his job until he graduates, but he's been awfully beat up all season, and the coaches need to see what they have in MJ.

You've hit the nail on the head about Justin being beat up. Can't remember where I heard it (presser, maybe?) but PJ said that if we had to play this past Saturday Justin wouldn't have played because he's so physically beat up.

Let that sink in for a moment before everyone starts talking about how poorly he's playing.

A lot of the younger guys are getting thrown into the fire before they're ready and we're unfortunately seeing the result. Can't remember which radio show it was but PJ talked about how last year guys were playing in front of 800 people at a high school game, and now they're on the field in front of 80,000 people getting snot-bubbled by a guy who's a 23-year old senior who's going to be playing on Sundays. That alone is probably why we haven't seen Jordan until now. Not that he isn't capable or doesn't have talent, but it's a huge difference when you're dominating 5'10", 210 lb defensive linemen in a high school game one year and then facing Clemson's front 7 the next.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
As early as the Clemson game we have had as many as 6 freshmen playing on offense .

I recognize that avatar ... :)

One thing to keep in mind about those 6 freshmen ... these were guys who showed up in August ... not redshirts, so it's not like they had a year to get bigger and prepare.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

there is no question that he is not the same QB and there are several reasons for it, I'm sure. But a whole bunch of it is the help upfront collapses early and now he is having to make a pitch or keep decision a lot sooner than he wants to, or can and be successful.