Coaches poll...greatest programs of all time

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Can someone explain to me why Syracuse is #31? I genuinely do not understand why and would like to know
In the late 50's and 60's Syracuse had more than several teams that finish in the top 10 and went to major bowl games. Also in the mid 80's to mid 90's they had some very good teams and at least a couple of top 10 finishes. They screwed up in getting rid of Pasqualoni and have not been the same since. Their history of producing great running backs is second to none.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo we should be around 16, if you look at the teams from 16 to 25 we have been better on the field in most categories. Win %, bowl games, national championships etc. the only thing they all beat us out in is how many first round draft picks, Hisman winners (we all know where the trophy came from) ect. I'll take the on field accomplishments over that other stuff any day of the week.Plus the History of GT is so rich!

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
We are another program who doesn't benefit from the start date. Excludes some great decades and includes our worst

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just reviewed the list. What is the criteria used?Points system as in a popularity contest? Seems like a number of teams on there don't strike me a "Great Programs" over their history? I mean what has Arkansas won? Ole Miss? Texas A&M? Wisconsin? Iowa? None these has won a NC or conference championships that I am aware of. Hard to argue with the remainder but those programs I have serious issues with

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone explain to me why Syracuse is #31? I genuinely do not understand why and would like to know
Ah, an invitation to talk about Syracuse. I appreciate it.

It's a shame what the last 15 years have done to the program and perception.

Syracuse is currently #23 all-time in wins in D1 with 701. That excludes 11 vacated wins from '04-'06. They were top 10 maybe 12 years ago. By comparison, GT is at #18 with 714. In other words, did anyone realize that basically 3 years ago, even after the worst decade in their history, Syracuse had more wins all-time than GT?

Did you know Syracuse went undefeated in 1987? Three years prior to GT's national title. And were often a top 25 team through the 90's and played in the Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Gator Bowl, etc.

Syracuse had the first black Heisman winner (Ernie Davis). They also pushed Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, and Floyd Little thru at RB. All NFL HOF. In terms of all-time RB, they are right up there near the top and in the discussion for best crop all-time.

They also pushed Art Monk, Marvin Harrison, Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney through, all of which happened in the late 90's/early 2000's save for Monk.

That's when the wheels fell off and they fired Pasqualoni. I am admittedly one of those who cherished the Champs Sports Bowl in 2004 vs. GT. That was the nail in Pasqualoni's coffin, and thankfully GT was the one to push it through. Then Syracuse hired Greg Robinson, oft ranked a top 10 worst hire all-time, given the where the program was and where they are today. Doug Marrone almost turned the corner again, and I'm hopeful Babers can do the same.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I respect the coaches poll, but I don't think they should be compiling a list of the best programs of ALL TIMES, when those times only go back to 1950. Do they think there was no football played until they started the coaches poll?
I think it was just a for fun thing. The AP did an all time ranking which goes back to their first year. For the record in that we actually come in 1 spot lower. Still misses 2 of our title years (technically misses all 4 since the AP has never ranked us 1)
http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

edit: also to elaborate on the reason I mentioned that the coaches poll is generally less respected. It's pretty widely accepted that the coaches poll historically has much more bias with coaches voting up their opposition to make themselves look better (case in point the random losing record B1G teams that are ranked) or just hand the ballots off to assistants to do whatever they want with the votes. Not saying everyone does it that way but for a long time it has been considered the less prestigious poll to win at least when compared to the AP. Now it would be ridiculous to claim that the AP poll is without bias itself but the coaches is just seen as more inaccurate.