Coaches on the Hotseat

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I believe that with our resources (city of Atlanta, state of Georgia to recruit, ACC) we should regularly be in the NCAA tournament and the top half of the ACC, with occasional top third finishes. I don’t think Pastner is going to ever get us there, sadly, though the right coach could. I hope he proves me wrong though. Gotta get better results on the recruiting trail for that to happen.

given the talent we have in this state i think we should be far better than just a middle of the pack acc team.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
What I meant is that with Hewitt we didn't fire him the year he had Favors and company because we did pretty well, even if you think we should have done better. Hewitt's fate was sealed a couple of years before he was actually fired. Likewise, I could see a bad year this year dooming pastner to the point where even making the NCAAT next year couldn't really save him. He'd have to probably string together 2 or more NCAAT appearances to earn any leeway back.

I don't think it'll reach that point though as I expect us to do pretty good this year.

I think Hewitt's fate was sealed when we stopped being able to successfully inbound the ball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think Hewitt's fate was sealed when we stopped being able to successfully inbound the ball.
Pretty certain that an NCAA invite gets Pastner an extension. TStan is desperate to keep funding football to catch up to the others in the ACC, and the last thing he wants to do is add a buy-out plus having to spend big bucks on a new coach in basketball.

My uneducated guess is Pastner stays until it becomes intolerable to keep him. Hewitt was doomed by empty seats in McCamish/Alexander Memorial. That will be the only way Pastner goes, imho.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will be really surprised if Pastner gets an extension this year under almost any circumstances. Just getting to an NCAA level doesn't overcome the nonsense that has gone on. He would still be under contract and I for one would like to see some continuity before extending the contract and buy out

I do agree with you about TStan's priorities and baring a disaster he isn't funding a buyout, but on the other side no one higher on the BB foodchain is coming after Pastner even if he makes the dance. And of they do for some strange reason still no buyout on our part

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I want Pastner to stay as long as it takes for the powers that be to decide that Basketball matters and shows it on a money level. Georgia Tech should be a basketball school, plain and simple. When our budget reflects that, we should make a move. Until then, it’s all just lateral moves.
Amen! Couldn't agree more.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
We will know in 18 months (March, 2021) whether CJP will continue to be the basketball coach at GT. Nothing will happen before then and the decision, one way or the other, will be absolutely apparent at that time. We might as well just hope for the best. Any discussion, rationale, predictions, etc. before then is just a waste of time and brain power.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Might not be the point.

Would we have the $ to hire a true upgrade that will make a real difference the way things sit right now?

We all need to give more $.
To answer the OP question....no. This answer is spot on.....our $$ is going into football right now (and some into baseball as well)...until we get enough to funnel it into basketball, which won't be a couple of years....what's the point?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s sad that b-ball is the way it is & has been for years , really no excuse , I hope better days are close

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure, each article seems to mention Ariz.Auburn,USC,Kansas,LSU but we already know what's not likely.
-
Three articles are linked and I'll list the "traditional" hot-seaters before each link
-
DANNY MANNING, Wake Forest
JOSH PASTNER, Georgia Tech
JIM CHRISTIAN, Boston College
SHAKA SMART, Texas
PAT CHAMBERS, Penn State
TIM JANKOVICH, SMU
FRANK HAITH, Tulsa
JEROD HAASE, Stanford
DAVE LEITAO, DePaul
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...ll-coaches-are-in-danger-of-losing-their-job/
-
Brad Brownell – Clemson
Patrick Ewing – Georgetown
JEROD HAASE, Stanford
Mike Boynton – Oklahoma State
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09/10/ncaa-basketball-5-coaches-hot-seat-2019-20-season/
-
DANNY MANNING, Wake Forest
JIM CHRISTIAN, Boston College
PAT CHAMBERS, Penn State
Tim Jankovich, SMU
DAVE LEITAO, DePaul
SHAKA SMART, Texas
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...s-whose-jobs-could-be-on-the-line-in-2019-20/

I hope he gets canned (Pastner)

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
What I meant is that with Hewitt we didn't fire him the year he had Favors and company because we did pretty well, even if you think we should have done better. Hewitt's fate was sealed a couple of years before he was actually fired. Likewise, I could see a bad year this year dooming pastner to the point where even making the NCAAT next year couldn't really save him. He'd have to probably string together 2 or more NCAAT appearances to earn any leeway back.

I don't think it'll reach that point though as I expect us to do pretty good this year.
Hewitt got us talent , pastner isn’t