Coach Thacker just turned down the Oregeon DC Job.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the point here is, whether he was officially offered or not, Oregon was talking to him. Why the strong denials by Quinlan's OR sources, but then the backtracking by the OR sources Tori contacted after the fact (were in 'serious talks' but no 'offer')? Seems like a cover up. If Thacker contacted them and his side got the rumor started, seems Bush. If Oregon contacted and is so quick to want the rumor squashed, that leads to a whole different set of speculations. Either way, I think our new coaching staff is making other programs nervous.
Usually the question is “if we make you an offer, will you accept it?” If the answer is NO, no official offer is made. No program likes for reports of candidates turning them down gets reported.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Week forecast
Eugene OR - Low 32 High 44 - 5 days rain most of the day.
Atlanta GA - Low 38 High 65 -2 -1/2 days rain (light)

Oh, I'm just teasing with the :rolleyes:. I'm ignoring the narrative* you're trying to push, though, about Atlanta weather vs. Eugene weather. Facts mean nothing to me. :D

Also, the rain we get is not at all what most folks think - a steady downpour or whatever. It's typically pretty light ... to the point where most locals do not use an umbrella but just walk around in ponchos/hoodies. If you're spotted with an umbrella locals will mutter, "well, wonder where that tourist is from?"

* (was it @Techster doing the drinking game?)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I'm just teasing with the :rolleyes:. I'm ignoring the narrative* you're trying to push, though, about Atlanta weather vs. Eugene weather. Facts mean nothing to me. :D

Also, the rain we get is not at all what most folks think - a steady downpour or whatever. It's typically pretty light ... to the point where most locals do not use an umbrella but just walk around in ponchos/hoodies. If you're spotted with an umbrella locals will mutter, "well, wonder where that tourist is from?"

It was @Milwaukee . I was just saying "narrative" as much as I could to see if I could kill him.

Animal02

Banned

Light rain....I wish. This is what I had to work out in on Monday

Attachments

• IMG_20190218_112058636-2048x1536.jpg
    IMG_20190218_112058636-2048x1536.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190218_112553817_HDR-2048x1536.jpg
    IMG_20190218_112553817_HDR-2048x1536.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 41

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Tori is an actual sports-writer, as is Ken. The recruiting insider guys are just something different.
I wouldn't classify her in the same position as Ken. Ken is our beat writer, he has sources and is mainly responsible for providing daily information on our program. Ken is limited by actual space in the paper so he doesn't get to write "feature pieces". Tori is an internet writer who doesn't even attend all of our games. She has the flexibility to write whatever she wants. Her writing is good, but I really liked Chris Kirschner who was originally assigned to Tech. He knew his stuff. I'll admit I wasn't thrilled that they assigned the Tech account to basically a person whose biggest experience was as an intern. Compare the Tech coverage to the UGA coverage, its no different than the AJC. That said, across all the teams I follow The Athletic is worth the price.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with this. The whole notion behind the athletic is to dissuade writers from that sort of behavior. I hope you're wrong (nothing personal, but I did sign up for the site and have enjoyed the writing across the 6 or so teams I follow regularly).

What do you disagree with? Just looking at her twitter stream, she posted a headline on Twitter from one source and then contradicted that headline with a comment from a different source. She made a headline statement that she now cannot backup. The only ways I can think of that happening are either her original source isn't reliable, or she misunderstood the content or context of his statements. Using bad sources and/or misquoting them are not signs of good journalism. I am not making any blanket statements about the Athletic. Simply stating that in this case a reporter made claims before vetting them properly.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What do you disagree with? Just looking at her twitter stream, she posted a headline on Twitter from one source and then contradicted that headline with a comment from a different source. She made a headline statement that she now cannot backup. The only ways I can think of that happening are either her original source isn't reliable, or she misunderstood the content or context of his statements. Using bad sources and/or misquoting them are not signs of good journalism. I am not making any blanket statements about the Athletic. Simply stating that in this case a reporter made claims before vetting them properly.

Yeah I may have jumped too quickly into my disagreement. My original thought was that it seems more likely that Oregon gave a floater (if the job was your’s would you take it) than shoddy sourcing.

That said if you’re saying there is a pattern of her chasing the clicks and racing to publish without confirmation then that’s troublesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That said if you’re saying there is a pattern of her chasing the clicks and racing to publish without confirmation then that’s troublesome.

I can't say there is a pattern because I had not even heard of her until this. I didn't take the time to go back through her tweets to see if there was anything else, but I assume if there was people would have brought it up. It simply appears that in this case, she jumped on twitter before she should have.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I can't say there is a pattern because I had not even heard of her until this. I didn't take the time to go back through her tweets to see if there was anything else, but I assume if there was people would have brought it up. It simply appears that in this case, she jumped on twitter before she should have.

That’s fair, I also didn’t go back and look on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Haven't read to the end of this thread yet so somebody maybe has already pointed out that it would be in Oregon's interest to have plausible deniability. There is reason why you rarely hear of coaches turning down jobs.
Looks like KQ was right...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

vvvv

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, our sales tax is outrageous and now they want to tack on another 1% SPLOST on top of that.
But Oregon has 0% sales tax, so that helps offset the difference in income tax. Not that I want to get into a discussion about taxes. Plus the Oregon Coast is super pretty in the summer and pretty green most of the year. If you haven’t been, I’d highly recommend taking a trip there.
ea

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I posted something similar
Have you ever noticed how few coaches get officially offered jobs but decline them? Most of these deals are talked about and agreed to before any "offer" is made, and all contact first goes through agents so the coach can truthfully deny that he's talked to them. They'll make sure the coach is fully interested and willing to take the job, then they offer the job and coach accepts. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if that exact situation played out here, ie they called his agent, told him he was the guy, and asked if he'd come over and he shot them down.
I posted something similar before I read your comment. When I think back I am hard pressed to remember any coaches turning down the Tech job yet whenever there was an opening you would hear anywhere from 5 to 10 names mentioned as part of the search.