Coach Thacker just turned down the Oregeon DC Job.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They were both right, I imagine, assuming that both were reporting factually what their sources were telling them.
Neither of them said definitively that Thacker was or wasn't offered the job.
They simply reported what was told to them by inside sources and attached that caveat to their reporting.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think the point here is, whether he was officially offered or not, Oregon was talking to him. Why the strong denials by Quinlan's OR sources, but then the backtracking by the OR sources Tori contacted after the fact (were in 'serious talks' but no 'offer')? Seems like a cover up. If Thacker contacted them and his side got the rumor started, seems Bush. If Oregon contacted and is so quick to want the rumor squashed, that leads to a whole different set of speculations. Either way, I think our new coaching staff is making other programs nervous.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
....Why the strong denials by Quinlan's OR sources, but then the backtracking by the OR sources Tori contacted after the fact (were in 'serious talks' but no 'offer')? Seems like a cover up......

What seems like a more plausible explanation is that the original source that Tori spoke to didn't know as much as she believed, or she misunderstood what he was saying. Her tweets were that a source with information said he was offered, and then a different source said that is wasn't true. I haven't seen anything that indicates that her original source backtracked. I don't know anything about her, but if she is newly out of school and doesn't have very much journalism experience then she might have responded like a college student and tweeted as soon as she heard something without taking time to verify authenticity of the statement. If that is indeed what happened, then you would expect the denials from others at Oregon and wouldn't indicate a cover up. Without knowing who it was that she originally talked to and what that person actually said, it is hard to determine if it was a misunderstanding(content or context of source) on her part, or if it was information that Oregon doesn't want in the public. There is no evidence that I am aware of that points in one direction or the other. I just see people who "believe" that what they think happened is what actually happened.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
What seems like a more plausible explanation is that the original source that Tori spoke to didn't know as much as she believed, or she misunderstood what he was saying. Her tweets were that a source with information said he was offered, and then a different source said that is wasn't true. I haven't seen anything that indicates that her original source backtracked. I don't know anything about her, but if she is newly out of school and doesn't have very much journalism experience then she might have responded like a college student and tweeted as soon as she heard something without taking time to verify authenticity of the statement. If that is indeed what happened, then you would expect the denials from others at Oregon and wouldn't indicate a cover up. Without knowing who it was that she originally talked to and what that person actually said, it is hard to determine if it was a misunderstanding(content or context of source) on her part, or if it was information that Oregon doesn't want in the public. There is no evidence that I am aware of that points in one direction or the other. I just see people who "believe" that what they think happened is what actually happened.
To clarify, what she said in her follow up tweet was that she spoke to 'another source close to the Thacker/Oregon situation' that said no offer but serious talks. All this hinges on what KQ's sources said exactly which I can't divulge b/c that's behind a paywall. When I said 'backtracked', I never said her original source backtracked. I assumed her other source was an OR source, and that would have been backtracking. Then I reread the exact wording of her follow-up tweet. May not have been an OR source. If she did not contact an OR source, that's a journalistic failure on her part big time.

Last edited:

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That dude loves to shoot down stuff, don't he?

KQ snarkily disputes pretty much every story he doesn't break.

In his own mind, he's the ultimate insider. So, if he didn't hear it first it must not be true. Although, from what I've heard, he's kind of a joke around the program. He doesn't actually have any coaches or players feeding him secret info. He just speculates and claims credit when he guesses right.

He's been so wrong so many times with his "inside info". But he always spins it as "it was true, but X changed". Why I stopped paying for his stuff. He had more content, but most of it was BS. Anything actually substantive and true would be reported/leaked just as quickly by other better outlets.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

In his own mind, he's the ultimate insider. So, if he didn't hear it first it must not be true. Although, from what I've heard, he's kind of a joke around the program. He doesn't actually have any coaches or players feeding him secret info. He just speculates and claims credit when he guesses right.

He's been so wrong so many times with his "inside info". But he always spins it as "it was true, but X changed". Why I stopped paying for his stuff. He had more content, but most of it was BS. Anything actually substantive and true would be reported/leaked just as quickly by other better outlets.

Yeah that’s what I get from KQ too. He’s covering Tech when not a lot of others are. So kind of the bite-the-band-that-feeds-you situation here. But it seems like he takes personal offense to anybody else breaking a story about Tech. It’s either:

- not true and the other reporter is an idiot.
- true but KQ already knew about it weeks ago but was keeping it queit for some reason and the other reporter who leaked it is an idiot.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
To clarify, what she said in her follow up tweet was that she spoke to 'another source close to the Thacker/Oregon situation' that said no offer but serious talks. All this hinges on what KQ's sources said exactly which I can't divulge b/c that's behind a paywall. When I said 'backtracked', I never said her original source backtracked. I assumed her other source was an OR source, and that would have been backtracking. Then I reread the exact wording of her follow-up tweet. May not have been an OR source. If she did not contact an OR source, that's a journalistic failure on her part big time.

I know what KQ's sources said. I wouldn't use the words that they used, but it looks to me as if Tori just went to twitter as soon as she believed she had a scoop on something, but before any verification. As I said in the previous post, there isn't any public and verifiable evidence as to whether she jumped the gun with bad information or if Oregon is trying to plug a leak.

I would say that it is a journalistic failure on her part no matter if it was a misunderstanding or if Oregon is trying to cover up. Even with the "heard from a source with knowledge of the situation" she is making a definitive statement:"Andrew Thacker was offered the DC position at Oregon but turned it down, opting to remain at Georgia Tech". Now, she can't back up that claim. She isn't going to release the name and wording of the discussion with the original source(Or at least if she wants to remain a journalist she won't.), and she can't back up the claim with other sources or information. It is definitely a case where a journalist went public too soon. Now, no matter if she was wrong or is being dumped on, she is in a poor situation from a credibility standpoint.

Last edited:

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever noticed how few coaches get officially offered jobs but decline them? Most of these deals are talked about and agreed to before any "offer" is made, and all contact first goes through agents so the coach can truthfully deny that he's talked to them. They'll make sure the coach is fully interested and willing to take the job, then they offer the job and coach accepts. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if that exact situation played out here, ie they called his agent, told him he was the guy, and asked if he'd come over and he shot them down.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that’s what I get from KQ too. He’s covering Tech when not a lot of others are. So kind of the bite-the-band-that-feeds-you situation here. But it seems like he takes personal offense to anybody else breaking a story about Tech. It’s either:

- not true and the other reporter is an idiot.
- true but KQ already knew about it weeks ago but was keeping it queit for some reason and the other reporter who leaked it is an idiot.

He simply reported what his sources were telling him. Nothing more, nothing less.

As did she.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL, the funny thing is we're making it a bigger deal than either Thacker or Oregon are making of it. Just a twitter rumor someone reported, someone else on twitter said it wasn't entirely true...and GT Swarm is dissecting a side that doesn't even matter.

Offseason issues!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I recently signed up, and although I don’t like the way he handles a lot of stuff, he has been right on somethings. I mainly like the recruiting stuff though, which is done by a guy named Russell, and he does an AWESOME job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He simply reported what his sources were telling him. Nothing more, nothing less.

As did she.
It’s the way he goes about stuff that people don’t like. I’ve seen ALOT of complaints about how he handles certain situations, even by many many posters on his own site. However, that’s just who he is, and I don’t let stuff get to me easily, so I pay for his site because good info comes from it imo.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused as to why this is a big deal? They probably talked to him about the job (maybe as a feeler) and he turned it down. So what? He's still here, which is good.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It's just one of those things.

Actually, imagine if he had taken it. Do the opposite now of what you would've done in that case.
He would have been taking a big risk taking that job. They rarely have successful defenses. Working under Collins, who has shown to be very successful coaching defense, should lead to better opportunities for Thacker in the future. If he had taken it, our HC has shown to be a pretty good DC. If CPJ could be our OC we could probably fill in another position coach and have CGC be DC. Wouldn't be a big deal either way IMO.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I know what KQ's sources said. I wouldn't use the words that they used, but it looks to me as if Tori just went to twitter as soon as she believed she had a scoop on something, but before any verification. As I said in the previous post, there isn't any public and verifiable evidence as to whether she jumped the gun with bad information or if Oregon is trying to plug a leak.

I would say that it is a journalistic failure on her part no matter if it was a misunderstanding or if Oregon is trying to cover up. Even with the "heard from a source with knowledge of the situation" she is making a definitive statement:"Andrew Thacker was offered the DC position at Oregon but turned it down, opting to remain at Georgia Tech". Now, she can't back up that claim. She isn't going to release the name and wording of the discussion with the original source(Or at least if she wants to remain a journalist she won't.), and she can't back up the claim with other sources or information. It is definitely a case where a journalist went public too soon. Now, no matter if she was wrong or is being dumped on, she is in a poor situation from a credibility standpoint.
I disagree with this. The whole notion behind the athletic is to dissuade writers from that sort of behavior. I hope you're wrong (nothing personal, but I did sign up for the site and have enjoyed the writing across the 6 or so teams I follow regularly).