Coach Prime to Colorado

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Deion Sanders will be the greatest coaching experiment in recent history...it will also have ADs rethinking their process if it works out.

I was on record saying Prime Time wouldn't get a shot at P5 this year...obviously I was wrong. It only takes 1 school to say "Yes". Colorado's AD will either be genius or a cautionary tale by the end of this experiment. Deion and his agent are masters of working the press and leveraging that to maximize Deion's opportunities.

I expect high turnover to be a yearly thing for Colorado under Deion. Dude is flat out telling kids if someone else is better, I'm replacing you. That's fine, but it's also a double edged sword. If Deion wins, no one will care. If he doesn't win, it will be an issue that could blow up Colorado's momentum.

Not gonna lie, Deion will make me pay attention to see if Colorado experiment will work out.
If Deion does not succeed how is that any different than the many coaches who fail each year (and get fired) for doing it your perceived to be “normal” way?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The old notion of amateur college athletics is dead. College players have fought for compensation rights attached to their celebrity and status as college football players, free agency, etc. and are being treated as the professionals they wanted to be and are. Along with that status comes the reality that there is no security, a better player is just a phone call away and it’s put up or shut up. It will be a tough, hard lesson for many who will enter the transfer portal, voluntarily or otherwise, will never be heard from again.

ALL students at GT, whether an athlete or not, find this out pretty quickly upon leaving the "nurturing" bosom of Ma Tech. These guys are just getting hit with this reality just a few years ahead of their peers. IMO.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Mass exodus from Colorado - 15 players since Sunday.
Includes top 2 WR and top RB from last season. (one of the WR had 3 receptions for 154 yds and 2 TD in their spring game this weekend).
LB and CB from GA were among the 15.

Yet they sold out season tickets for the first time in 27 years

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Deion does not succeed how is that any different than the many coaches who fail each year (and get fired) for doing it your perceived to be “normal” way?

As far as I can remember, Deion would be the only coach to jump from HSBC level to P5 HC in 2 years. Whether you like it or not, and because of Deion's personality, there will be a LOT of eyes on him.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm not rooting against him because I think there are a LOT of coaches who stand to gain from Deion's success, plus, let's be honest, in staid profession of coaches, Deion is pretty dang entertaining.

JacketFan137

Banned
He will be gone too as soon as he gets a better offer.
people say things like that when it’s true for literally every coach.

the only guys that seemed trenched in for life at their current jobs are dabo, saban and kirby and that’s because no school will ever outbid them

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what happens with Deion or Fritz all I care about is Key I trust him and the players.

To start with think about the players who signed to play for Deion how many could make it at Tech? Like it or not Tech is a different type of school our players could make in any other schools but very few players on other teams could make it out of Tech.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't care what happens with Deion or Fritz all I care about is Key I trust him and the players.

To start with think about the players who signed to play for Deion how many could make it at Tech? Like it or not Tech is a different type of school our players could make in any other schools but very few players on other teams could make it out of Tech.
we should change our mascot to the high horses

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
we should change our mascot to the high horses

Midnight Horses?
procrastinate silence of the lambs GIF

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
As far as I can remember, Deion would be the only coach to jump from HSBC level to P5 HC in 2 years. Whether you like it or not, and because of Deion's personality, there will be a LOT of eyes on him.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm not rooting against him because I think there are a LOT of coaches who stand to gain from Deion's success, plus, let's be honest, in staid profession of coaches, Deion is pretty dang entertaining.
I guess I don’t understand what “the experiment” is and what other schools will do if Deion is successful. It’s not like there are a lot of other Deion Sanders types out there.

I’m not a Deion homer, but I’m amazed by comments that Deion is more flash than substance. They guy has delivered at the highest levels in everything he has done. He has an incredible work ethic and is extremely demanding. He puts more pressure on himself with his bravado and has pretty much delivered all of his life. People seem to think he has been given things versus earning them. I just don't understand that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Colorado will be fascinating to watch.
Even with all the players he is bringing in, depth could be a big issue. While he does have some big names transferring in, alot of the transfers are pretty run of the mill players.
Injuries could quickly cause issues.
Cohesiveness is another issue that could pop up. Between HS and portal he has 48 players coming in right now. That's most of the roster. How do you build cohesiveness quickly enough to play well as units in a couple of months.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess I don’t understand what “the experiment” is and what other schools will do if Deion is successful. It’s not like there are a lot of other Deion Sanders types out there.

I’m not a Deion homer, but I’m amazed by comments that Deion is more flash than substance. They guy has delivered at the highest levels in everything he has done. He has an incredible work ethic and is extremely demanding. He puts more pressure on himself with his bravado and has pretty much delivered all of his life. People seem to think he has been given things versus earning them. I just don't understand that.

I think it starts with the fact there is a BIG leap between HSBC and P5 football.

I still don't know why people want to say "he's been successful at everything" and apply it to coaching. He was a high school coach before jumping to HSBC HC. At Jackson, which he did a PHENOMENAL job at, he was able to pull in high level SAs from the P5 level. But that doesn't necessarily equate to success at the P5 level. I personally think he's good for college football, but I'm glad it's CO that took the chance and not GT.

I think if Deion is able to have success at this level, more P5 schools would be willing to look outside of the usual channels for coaching (P5 assistants, G5 HCs, NFL coaches). If you don't think that it's a big leap, than it won't be an "experiment". Colorado's AD has even said it was a big chance to take, but one CO had to take to be relevant. Stanford did it with Jim Harbaugh when they hired him away from non scholarship San Diego.

If you don't think that it's a big leap, than it won't be an "experiment".

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Unicorns!!!!

View attachment 14325

BTW, Unicorn Town is a really good documentary about overseas football and specifically the Schwabisch Hall Unicorns:

Yes, US football is actually pretty popular over there from what I read. The high schools don't have teams (in any sport), but a lot of small towns and cities do. Most of it is amateur. And guess what the Germans appear to particularly like about the sport.

That would be the marching bands. As in:

I've long said that we ought to send the Aggie marching band on a tour of Germany and Russia. No more crap about close order marching from those people!

Last edited:

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it starts with the fact there is a BIG leap between HSBC and P5 football.

I still don't know why people want to say "he's been successful at everything" and apply it to coaching. He was a high school coach before jumping to HSBC HC. At Jackson, which he did a PHENOMENAL job at, he was able to pull in high level SAs from the P5 level. But that doesn't necessarily equate to success at the P5 level. I personally think he's good for college football, but I'm glad it's CO that took the chance and not GT.

I think if Deion is able to have success at this level, more P5 schools would be willing to look outside of the usual channels for coaching (P5 assistants, G5 HCs, NFL coaches). If you don't think that it's a big leap, than it won't be an "experiment". Colorado's AD has even said it was a big chance to take, but one CO had to take to be relevant. Stanford did it with Jim Harbaugh when they hired him away from non scholarship San Diego.

If you don't think that it's a big leap, than it won't be an "experiment".
It’s not the “leap” that’s in question. There simply aren’t a lot of Deion Sanders types. If he succeeds at Colorado, I would argue it has more to do with him being Deion Sanders than anything else. It doesn’t validate that someone with minimal coaching experience is a good candidate.

slugboy

Staff member
One of my big questions about bringing Sanders here was whether we’d bring in all the necessary support and give him full control. Colorado has basically handed him a blank check and given him total control.

As long as he doesn’t self destruct or get caught up in a compliance or legal issue, I think he’ll win games.