Coach Prime to Colorado

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
they were massively over the scholarship limit due to the number of people transferring in. This was completely expected and necessarily for roster compliance. They have 29 people transferring in

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Bullet dodged. Early on, I was in favor of hiring him at GT. Glad we didn't...
I am happy with Key but roster turnover does not mean things are bad at Colorado. Leon Sandcastle is just taking full advantage of the new college football rules to overhaul the roster as he sees fit in an extremely short period of time. After the game, he had some remarks that basically said that the players he expected to (essentially his guys) played well. It is a blunt form of player processing but welcome to college football in 2023 where these guys are basically paid professionals.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's bringing it and doing it his way. He will either be a big success or go down in flames. The problem for Colorado is that if he is a big success, he will move to greener pastures as soon as the offer comes. I personally think he is more of a show horse than a workhorse. Time will tell.

Go Jackets!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
He's bringing it and doing it his way. He will either be a big success or go down in flames. The problem for Colorado is that if he is a big success, he will move to greener pastures as soon as the offer comes. I personally think he is more of a show horse than a workhorse. Time will tell.

Go Jackets!
And bet your bottom dollar that he will leave the cupboards bare in Boulder. His guys will follow him to his next gig.

JacketFan137

Banned
And bet your bottom dollar that he will leave the cupboards bare in Boulder. His guys will follow him to his next gig.
this is probably the case for most big coaches these days. it happened all the time before but just with hs recruits. now they can do it with the actual roster using the portal

JacketFan137

Banned
Is this the part where we pretend this isn't happening here, just on a different level?

Just asking. I lost my elevator key so I can't get up on the high horse anymore.
deion has brought in more talent in one off season than any tech coach i can remember and last year i think even collins would have blown that team out cause they were atrocious.

it’s deions job to put the best product he can on the field and he’s doing that. idk why anyone thinks we are too good for what he’s doing. key would do the exact same if we had the pull

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
I remember when Jerry Jones was considering bringing Sanders from SF to the Cowboys he went to his team and talked about just the sort of things you're mentioning and the team decided they wanted to bring him in. If I remember correctly that worked out extremely well. You may be right but I would not under estimate Sanders, he seems to be a winner behind all the flash, brashness etc. The cowboy players found out he had an exceptional work ethnic, among other good qualities. We'll see, be interesting to watch.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
deion has brought in more talent in one off season than any tech coach i can remember and last year i think even collins would have blown that team out cause they were atrocious.

it’s deions job to put the best product he can on the field and he’s doing that. idk why anyone thinks we are too good for what he’s doing. key would do the exact same if we had the pull

It's our usual high-horsin'. Next phase will be folks claiming none-a these kids would have the grades to get in here, blah, blah, blah...

I remember when Jerry Jones was considering bringing Sanders from SF to the Cowboys he went to his team and talked about just the sort of things you're mentioning and the team decided they wanted to bring him in. If I remember correctly that worked out extremely well. You may be right but I would not under estimate Sanders, he seems to be a winner behind all the flash, brashness etc. The cowboy players found out he had an exceptional work ethnic, among other good qualities. We'll see, be interesting to watch.

Seems folks have long assumed, because he's flashy, he's without substance. It's weird. Like a bunch-a Tim Mccarver's posting on this topic.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Playing and coaching are two different things. He was a hell of a player but the jury is still out on his ability to Coach.

Go Jackets!
Of course, the jury is still out on a lot of coaches in the country, including our own. But things seem to be trending well for Deion and Key. Which will have the greatest long term success is the question.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Deion Sanders will be the greatest coaching experiment in recent history...it will also have ADs rethinking their process if it works out.

I was on record saying Prime Time wouldn't get a shot at P5 this year...obviously I was wrong. It only takes 1 school to say "Yes". Colorado's AD will either be genius or a cautionary tale by the end of this experiment. Deion and his agent are masters of working the press and leveraging that to maximize Deion's opportunities.

I expect high turnover to be a yearly thing for Colorado under Deion. Dude is flat out telling kids if someone else is better, I'm replacing you. That's fine, but it's also a double edged sword. If Deion wins, no one will care. If he doesn't win, it will be an issue that could blow up Colorado's momentum.

Not gonna lie, Deion will make me pay attention to see if Colorado experiment will work out.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The old notion of amateur college athletics is dead. College players have fought for compensation rights attached to their celebrity and status as college football players, free agency, etc. and are being treated as the professionals they wanted to be and are. Along with that status comes the reality that there is no security, a better player is just a phone call away and it’s put up or shut up. It will be a tough, hard lesson for many who will enter the transfer portal, voluntarily or otherwise, will never be heard from again.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Deion Sanders will be the greatest coaching experiment in recent history...it will also have ADs rethinking their process if it works out.

I was on record saying Prime Time wouldn't get a shot at P5 this year...obviously I was wrong. It only takes 1 school to say "Yes". Colorado's AD will either be genius or a cautionary tale by the end of this experiment. Deion and his agent are masters of working the press and leveraging that to maximize Deion's opportunities.

I expect high turnover to be a yearly thing for Colorado under Deion. Dude is flat out telling kids if someone else is better, I'm replacing you. That's fine, but it's also a double edged sword. If Deion wins, no one will care. If he doesn't win, it will be an issue that could blow up Colorado's momentum.

Not gonna lie, Deion will make me pay attention to see if Colorado experiment will work out.
I hear what you’re saying, but the bolded part i disagree with.
The experiment is whether or not Deion can be successful. If he is, it’ll be because he has some coaching chops to go along with the recruiting and persona. His success or failure is not proof of concept, it’s proof of Deion.
I’ll also say, I think Deion can recruit his way to a TON of success in a depleted Pac 10 or a Big 12 that doesn’t include Texas and OK. Probably could strive a while in the ACC as well if schedules keep him away from the major talent rosters. However, If that success is going to translate to the likes of Kentucky or Missouri, or Rutgers, or Illinois, he’s got to be a great coach as well... he won’t win on recruiting alone in those conferences.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

He will be gone too as soon as he gets a better offer.