Coach Prime to Colorado

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
the deion sanders experiment will be interesting. some were convinced there was no way he would get a p5 job đź‘€
This will be a great experiment on several levels. People who think you have to be from a particular region so you can understand the culture and recruit will have a test case. The rumors that Sanders will be able to poach big time prospects from power houses like Ohio State will be proven or disproven. The question of coaching ability and whether he can compete at the P5 level with the big boys will be answered. Though I support Key and I’m ready to get behind the new coaching staff I hope we don’t look back and realize we missed a golden opportunity.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This will be a great experiment on several levels. People who think you have to be from a particular region so you can understand the culture and recruit will have a test case. The rumors that Sanders will be able to poach big time prospects from power houses like Ohio State will be proven or disproven. The question of coaching ability and whether he can compete at the P5 level with the big boys will be answered. Though I support Key and I’m ready to get behind the new coaching staff I hope we don’t look back and realize we missed a golden opportunity.

I don't know how much you can honestly read into it. Sanders is somewhat of a unicorn. One of the most famous college athletes of his generation. A college and football Hall of Fame inductee. Naturally charismatic personality. If he succeeds, it doesn't mean that hiring successful former athletes is the way forward, if he fails, vice versa.

IMO, Colorado is a good place for him. They will give him the leeway to make a few mistakes and learn from them, all while cashing checks because Coach Prime is at the helm. What will be real interesting is to see who he brings on as staff and how much the recruiting jumps.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how much you can honestly read into it. Sanders is somewhat of a unicorn. One of the most famous college athletes of his generation. A college and football Hall of Fame inductee. Naturally charismatic personality. If he succeeds, it doesn't mean that hiring successful former athletes is the way forward, if he fails, vice versa.

IMO, Colorado is a good place for him. They will give him the leeway to make a few mistakes and learn from them, all while cashing checks because Coach Prime is at the helm. What will be real interesting is to see who he brings on as staff and how much the recruiting jumps.
To be clear, the experiment is not about generic former star athletes. The experiment is about Deion specifically. He had supporters and detractors at Tech each arguing why he would be great as a p5 coach or why he’d never make it.

That’s the experiment.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Dodged a bullet on Chadwell. Not unlike b*l*, I was thinking his value was propped up by a phenomenal qb. I think we retained the best option but will be interesting to see what Deion does.
I suspect Deion will get some splash recruits, have a good couple of years and leave Colorado by 2025 for some bigger name.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed on Deion. Colorado has been irrelevant for a long time. I think they are one of the few programs willing to take a risk on him. Wonder what his stance on players smoking weed will be there?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Whether we like to admit this or not we never had a shot at Deion. We lack the money he was seeking.

They are talking $5MM yr + an additional potential of $2MM more in incentives.
I doubt we are paying CBK more than around $3MM. We pretty well know that GT was unable to pay Fritz in the $4MM range.

GT is a below average ACC school in terms of pay and the ACC is well below the B10 and SEC in pay.

GT is pretty likely to always be on the low end of revenue so it has to find ways to win more with less. That is just the reality of the current situation and not one I see changing in any significant way.
I also don't believe that changing conferences would help GT in any real way. If we change conferences we are no longer competing with other ACC schools, we are competing primarily with schools from that conference and so we would simply get the same amount of TV revenue as our conference mates and be at an even larger disadvantage in terms of non media revenue as the ACC has the smallest avg school size in the US. The other conferences have larger schools on average meaning they have larger fanbases that bring in more non-TV revenue.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Whether we like to admit this or not we never had a shot at Deion. We lack the money he was seeking.

They are talking $5MM yr + an additional potential of $2MM more in incentives.
I doubt we are paying CBK more than around $3MM. We pretty well know that GT was unable to pay Fritz in the $4MM range.

GT is a below average ACC school in terms of pay and the ACC is well below the B10 and SEC in pay.

GT is pretty likely to always be on the low end of revenue so it has to find ways to win more with less. That is just the reality of the current situation and not one I see changing in any significant way.
I also don't believe that changing conferences would help GT in any real way. If we change conferences we are no longer competing with other ACC schools, we are competing primarily with schools from that conference and so we would simply get the same amount of TV revenue as our conference mates and be at an even larger disadvantage in terms of non media revenue as the ACC has the smallest avg school size in the US. The other conferences have larger schools on average meaning they have larger fanbases that bring in more non-TV revenue.
There's a bunch in here that to me is "so what?"

Colorado isn't in the SEC or the B1G. Also, the B1G isn't a better conference top to bottom than the ACC. I think if you had a B1G/ACC Challenge in Football each year the results would be close to 50/50 if not in ACC's favor. Others can disagree, but B1G outside of OSU and Michigan are meh. Wisconsin is good most years, but I think the ACC stacks up well.

I agree we'll probably always be middle to lower end of the pack for coaches' pay, but that's because we are cheap. We could have paid Fritz; we chose not to. We could have paid more to others; we chose not to.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There's a bunch in here that to me is "so what?"

Colorado isn't in the SEC or the B1G. Also, the B1G isn't a better conference top to bottom than the ACC. I think if you had a B1G/ACC Challenge in Football each year the results would be close to 50/50 if not in ACC's favor. Others can disagree, but B1G outside of OSU and Michigan are meh. Wisconsin is good most years, but I think the ACC stacks up well..
No shot lol. Clemson is by far the best ACC team and they would get pummeled by Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

The ACC’s bottom 7 teams are basically the same as the B1G’s, but top to bottom the B1G is waaayyyyy better, especially this year. 7-5 Maryland probably beats everyone in the ACC besides Clemson and FSU

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was definitely one of those, so mea culpa time: I was wrong about Deion and a P5 job. If you're gonna make statements, you gotta own up to them when you're right and wrong.

Good for him. Dude has an amazing agent and admin team...he created an amazing amount of buzz and media around him and his coaching and he got results on the field that led to his job at Colorado.

That being said, and I said it when it was a rumor, I'm glad it's Colorado taking that chance and not GT. If it went right for GT it could have been really good. However if it was just "ho hum" to a disaster, GT probably would have never recovered. Colorado taking the ultimate boom or bust chance.
The real question is how much is Colorado willing to do to make their program competitive. They lag way behind nearly all Pac 12 schools in their commitment to football in facilities, NIL, transfer rules and more. If you hire Deion you better be ready to commit big time to Prime Time!

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd imagine Deion will do really well in the portal getting guys wanting to play for him that wouldn't have at JSU.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The real question is how much is Colorado willing to do to make their program competitive. They lag way behind nearly all Pac 12 schools in their commitment to football in facilities, NIL, transfer rules and more. If you hire Deion you better be ready to commit big time to Prime Time!
Colorado just flipped the #13 ranked player in the country (5* Winston Watkins c/o 2025) from Texas A&M. Watkins is class of 2025, but Colorado recognized that just hiring Deion was enough to increase the competitiveness of their roster.

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
50/50 Success or carnival side show.
You pick.