Coach Paul Johnson Tears Into Geoff Collins

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Have any of you blokes seen or heard a response to all this from ol' what's his name?

Or is he out there being elite at hide 'n seek?

Sesame Street No GIF by Muppet Wiki

I don't think any GT fans would know--- he blocked all of us on twitter in an elite fashion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Have any of you blokes seen or heard a response to all this from ol' what's his name?

Or is he out there being elite at hide 'n seek?

Sesame Street No GIF by Muppet Wiki

Funny you used that GIF (Geoff?!), because Collins was accused by many of not being able to coach his way out of wet blanket...

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I was talking to my dad this morning and he said his buddy got blocked.
I don’t know what he did to earn earn the block but I think it should be mandatory right-of-passage for all tech fans that use twitter

My 4-5 GT buddies that I know use it have all said they are blocked but none remember directly interacting with him on anything. lol

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
CBR gets to stand on a pinnacle because of the natty, but his best 3 seasons were 7, 11, and 7 wins, with 2 wins over UGAg.. He also brought GOL and CRF to the Flats. GOL had years of 7, 10, 8, 9, and 7 wins from 1997-2001, with Gator and Peach bowls. He beat UGAg 3x. CPJ had years of 9, 11, 8, 11, and 9 wins scattered throughout, including two Orange Bowls, with Peach and Gator bowls, and beating UGAg 3x as well. I'd rate CPJ ahead of GOL, personally, though his overall WP is a bit below GOL's.
I liked GOL having those student meetings where he talked football. Open to any student and got student involvement. Want to get more student involvement? Have the coaches visit the fraternities and sororities to hype up the teams and ask for their support. We should be able to get well over 1000 students to basketball games.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I liked GOL having those student meetings where he talked football. Open to any student and got student involvement. Want to get more student involvement? Have the coaches visit the fraternities and sororities to hype up the teams and ask for their support. We should be able to get well over 1000 students to basketball games.
Josh Pastner did that and was moderately successful but it wasn’t a game changer. Greek overall during my time period did a decent job of putting butts in seats, but they are only a percentage of the population. Our south end zone (aka those not blocking with an organization, Greek or otherwise) is perpetually empty. We gotta figure out how to reach the student pop at large.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Josh Pastner did that and was moderately successful but it wasn’t a game changer. Greek overall during my time period did a decent job of putting butts in seats, it’s that they are only a percentage of the population at large. Our south end zone (aka those not blocking with an organization, Greek or otherwise) is perpetually empty. We gotta figure out how to reach the general student pop at large.
Win.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Josh Pastner did that and was moderately successful but it wasn’t a game changer. Greek overall during my time period did a decent job of putting butts in seats, it’s that they are only a percentage of the population at large. Our south end zone (aka those not blocking with an organization, Greek or otherwise) is perpetually empty. We gotta figure out how to reach the general student pop at large.
Somehow get coaches and player visibility on campus so students feel connected. I will never forget my freshman year walking up to the classroom building and Kim King was lying back on a wall at the entrance to the library with his notebook and books with him. Reminded me that these guys are students like me and it's my team. I never missed a FB game as a student and always took a date.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if a reporter will ever ask Geof about Coach Johnson’s comments?

I look at the Collins twitter account and he’s keeping it pretty clean and professional on there. I think he knows the head coach will not put up with nonsense in the media

Still, one good reporter question would do it.

“Coach Collins, did you feel like you got Johnsoned?”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When I listen to that interview, it seems clear to me that the big thing that he's upset about is how Collins' remarks reflected on CPJ's players. Either denigrating what his teams achieved or denigrating the ability of the players that Collins inherited. It wasn't necessary for Collins to do any of that.
And that was when I really started to dislike Collins. 3 years into his tenure he would still on occasion throw former players under the bus for “slowing his progress on a rebuild.” Not the kind of adult you would ever want teaching your children.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And that was when I really started to dislike Collins. 3 years into his tenure he would still on occasion throw former players under the bus for “slowing his progress on a rebuild.” Not the kind of adult you would ever want teaching your children.
I don't think anyone hated Collins as much as I did. But the fact is maybe that hate needs to also go to some of the big money donators because of their money they think they can make that weak AD (which is now gone) do what they wanted.

Now we have a good president, AD and Head coach to get this program back where we need to be.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone hated Collins as much as I did. But the fact is maybe that hate needs to also go to some of the big money donators because of their money they think they can make that weak AD (which is now gone) do what they wanted.
Ooooo… this sounds fun. I think we can go several pages debating who hated him most!
I hated him sooo much that I threw away all of my socks and bought a pair of skinny pants just so I could burn the skinny pants and buy socks!

Now we have a good president, AD and Head coach to get this program back where we need to be.
On this, we agree.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

Oh, no, I had a big burning hate for that guy pretty early on, cemented by his antics as VPI was putting a historic beatdown on us in 2019 (12 minute mark of the 4th when it's already 45-0 and he's yukking it up when the refs tell him to get back)
We need animal02 to weigh back in.