Coach Paul Johnson Tears Into Geoff Collins

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The "common knowledge" of the Flexbone was that the OL is scrawny and can't do anything except for "chop block" and try to take out the DL's knees. If I remember correctly, in that game the OL was pushing their DL back from the LOS shoulder pad to shoulder pad. Shaq definitely was, but I think others were too. I think they were also pretty physical with the mutt's DL that year. There were actual criticisms of the offense and criticisms of recruiting. However, a lot of the "common knowledge" arguments against the flexbone were just people coming up with a conclusion and ignoring the facts.
Nothing like hearing Zeier (tool) talk about GT's big offensive line wearing down the Dwags' defense late in the game in 14. That O line did have some heft to it - Shaq, Errin Joe, Chamberlain, Freddie Burden, et al ... ain't none of them 6-1, 260.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Mason was a BEAST that game, but that entire line did a heck of a job. That group was probably CPJ's best OL in terms of physical ability and technical skill for the offense. On the Synjyn Days run, the second half where MSU thought Days was going out of bounds, it was Braun and Chamberlain on that side. Braun was REALLY good that year, and CPJ pulled him a lot that game.

Reviewing that video, reminded me of how this board use to dissect plays after every game. CPJ years were fun in terms of analyzing plays the following week.

"They can't stop it, folks!"
God bless Brent Musberger.

And how about getting TD runs off the midline like that. JT's last TD run, BJ Bostic just absolutely wipes out some poor Missy State defender. It was beautiful. Shoot, even on JT's TD pass to Waller, there is an A back running down the middle of the field wide open. And I mean wide open.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nothing like hearing Zeier (tool) talk about GT's big offensive line wearing down the Dwags' defense late in the game in 14. That O line did have some heft to it - Shaq, Errin Joe, Chamberlain, Freddie Burden, et al ... ain't none of them 6-1, 260.
Mid year , afrer sputtring we got erin joe and shamire added to the mix. We changed the drive blocking technique . Hit them high and worked into mid body and legs. We had a massive ol and until next year (ND) no one knew how to stop it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Mid year , afrer sputtring we got erin joe and shamire added to the mix. We changed the drive blocking technique . Hit them high and worked into mid body and legs. We had a massive ol and until next year (ND) no one knew how to stop it.
The next season (2015) we lost 3 OL from the year before: Mason graduated, Burden multi-game injury, and Griffin career ended by injury. Plus we lost 5 of the top 6 Abacks: Perkins, Hill, Bostic, and Zenon all graduated and Andrews was dismissed. All not to mention Laskey and Days both graduated. 2015 was a shadow of 2014, but still beat FSU and lost 4-5 others by one score.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
The next season (2015) we lost 3 OL from the year before: Mason graduated, Burden multi-game injury, and Griffin career ended by injury. Plus we lost 5 of the top 6 Abacks: Perkins, Hill, Bostic, and Zenon all graduated and Andrews was dismissed. All not to mention Laskey and Days both graduated. 2015 was a shadow of 2014, but still beat FSU and lost 4-5 others by one score.
I was about to say. I’m of the strong belief that a good OL = a winning team, no matter your system. 2014 had a strong OL and turned into a top ten team, 2015 was missing that (mostly due to injury, ie. through no fault of our guys)

It’s this reason that Geep Wade is a crucial one to keep on staff.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Losing Andrews was the key.he was going to be the killer back--size and skill.I never really heard the story on his leaving.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Losing Andrews was the key.he was going to be the killer back--size and skill.I never really heard the story on his leaving.
As you may have guessed by now, I'm very, very reluctant to get on Paul's case about anything. His decision to put Laskey out there to return punts was a frosh is an exception. The 2015 team with him on the field as a red-shirt senior would have won at least two, maybe 3 more games. He would have given JT that push up the middle the O needed to work effectively. But, as Paul sometimes said, hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure he regretted that decision himself.

Besides, I loved to watch Laskey when he started rolling. He was like a taller PJ Daniels.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As you may have guessed by now, I'm very, very reluctant to get on Paul's case about anything. His decision to put Laskey out there to return punts was a frosh is an exception. The 2015 team with him on the field as a red-shirt senior would have won at least two, maybe 3 more games. He would have given JT that push up the middle the O needed to work effectively. But, as Paul sometimes said, hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure he regretted that decision himself.

Besides, I loved to watch Laskey when he started rolling. He was like a taller PJ Daniels.
Gt put bryan in at end of freshman year when team was terrible. He played well then and in following years he did good job at every position asked

BUT was screwed over by Sewak in sr season. Got to play in second half of vt comeback.
Paul great at seeing field, but blinded w Sewak s mismanagement of ol

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Gt put bryan in at end of freshman year when team was terrible. He played well then and in following years he did good job at every position asked

BUT was screwed over by Sewak in sr season. Got to play in second half of vt comeback.
Paul great at seeing field, but blinded w Sewak s mismanagement of ol
Knew one or two Southern OL who weren't thrilled with Sewak as a position coach, either, when he was there under PJ.
PJ let his assistants run their units - especially when it came to playing time - for better or worse, for the most part. There were exceptions - starting QB and B-back - but not a lot, AFAIK.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Knew one or two Southern OL who weren't thrilled with Sewak as a position coach, either, when he was there under PJ.
PJ let his assistants run their units - especially when it came to playing time - for better or worse, for the most part. There were exceptions - starting QB and B-back - but not a lot, AFAIK.
I always understood the criticisms of Sewak and I also understood why Paul kept him on. It's important, I think, to remember that Sewak was former head coach at Southern and was very successful (35 - 14 and 2 championships in four years) at the job. And all this running the spread option. You don't fire that kind of experience when his OL is producing results, no matter how the OLs think about their time on the field,

But … it remains unsettled that Tech continued in the top 10 rushing teams in the country because of Sewak's coaching or because Tech had Paul calling the plays. I'd go with the latter, but if Paul wanted Sewak he probably had his reasons.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I always understood the criticisms of Sewak and I also understood why Paul kept him on. It's important, I think, to remember that Sewak was former head coach at Southern and was very successful (35 - 14 and 2 championships in four years) at the job. And all this running the spread option. You don't fire that kind of experience when his OL is producing results, no matter how the OLs think about their time on the field,

But … it remains unsettled that Tech continued in the top 10 rushing teams in the country because of Sewak's coaching or because Tech had Paul calling the plays. I'd go with the latter, but if Paul wanted Sewak he probably had his reasons.
The sad news to all of this is GT should have supported PJ more in his last 5 years. The difficulty of NIL and diverging TV revenue has made the ability to recover and be a more force in college football is so much more difficult than it would have been 8 to 10 years ago.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The sad news to all of this is GT should have supported PJ more in his last 5 years. The difficulty of NIL and diverging TV revenue has made the ability to recover and be a more force in college football is so much more difficult than it would have been 8 to 10 years ago.
As I have sometimes said before there ought to be degrees of "like" here. If there were I'd like this 1000%!

Still, I think Tech can do it! With a little sheer bum luck, that is.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting to read this board reaction to CPJ interview. When Collins was hired, everyone came out of the woodwork to say why we needed him and why CPJ needed to go. One former GT player in particular was very vocal and any time someone disagreed, he would just criticize their football knowledge. Haven’t seen him around in a long time.

Wildbilliam1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting to read this board reaction to CPJ interview. When Collins was hired, everyone came out of the woodwork to say why we needed him and why CPJ needed to go. One former GT player in particular was very vocal and any time someone disagreed, he would just criticize their football knowledge. Haven’t seen him around in a long time.
Interesting perspective. I more so recall a former player or two (from non Paul regimes) being the only ones on this board still defending Collins long, long after it was even obvious to the folks w/o football knowledge that the Collins era was a disaster. They kept pushing their “football knowledge” saying we just can’t see the improvements. Gate keepers are going to gate keep.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this other than the “everyone”.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Interesting perspective. I more so recall a former player or two (from non Paul regimes) being the only ones on this board still defending Collins long, long after it was even obvious to the folks w/o football knowledge that the Collins era was a disaster. They kept pushing their “football knowledge” saying we just can’t see the improvements. Gate keepers are going to gate keep.
You mean the same guy that didn't know the R in RPO alerted you to the fact the OL were supposed to be run blocking instead of just drop back pass blocking?