Coach Paul Johnson Tears Into Geoff Collins

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
he had played ungodly great in 3-4 games after changing from defense to offense. he then went out and made a cut and blew his knee out
TonyH.PNG

11 touchdowns in 4 games?!?! I forgot what an incredible start he got off to that year...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What was the Tony Hollings story?
He had the ability to cut on a dime or reverse his field, both with exceptional vision for the field and speed to burn.

Tech was wrapping up another win in which he had his usual phenomenal game, was tired and ready to come out for the subs to do mop up. The coach turned to his replacement and the guy had his helmet off and was just kind of sitting around not paying attention to the game. So Hollings had to stay in one more play while this guy got his act together. That one extra play ended his career.

Prior to that, watching Tony was like watching some of the all time great running backs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Guys, there's only 1 jersey retired at GT for football. #19 Jackrabbit will forever be the best running back ever to play for Tech. He was the first-ever freshman to win All-American honors. I loved Tony Hollings, but 4 games does not a legend make. Castleberry was 3rd in the Heisman Trophy voting as a freshman in 1942. That was unheard of and insane.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Guys, there's only 1 jersey retired at GT for football. #19 Jackrabbit will forever be the best running back ever to play for Tech. He was the first-ever freshman to win All-American honors. I loved Tony Hollings, but 4 games does not a legend make. Castleberry was 3rd in the Heisman Trophy voting as a freshman in 1942. That was unheard of and insane.
Don’t disagree with this. But, Tony was the best I ever SAW. He is not a legend, obviously, because his career was cut short. But what I saw in those four games was mind blowing. Felt like I was watching OJ.

Wish I could have seen Castleberry. Clearly Tech’s greatest ever.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO the George O’Leary years were about as good as any after 1990. That defense O’Leary had was tough and when he became HC the team was a dumpster fire then O’Leary had the team that could play with anybody in the country. When you see what O’Leary did at UCF we know it wasn’t a fluke what he did at GT. I’ve never seen any coaches better than Bobby Ross, George O’Leary and Ralph Freidgen, that’s as good as it gets imo. CPJ did a very good job but I believe the O’Leary teams were better especially on defense and then we look at the offense with Ralph Freidgen 😂 like I said brother, it doesn’t get any better lol

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, you’ll get no disagreement on this… I’m not sure how you read an affront (or even a comparison) to Castleberry into any of this discussion, however

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, you’ll get no disagreement on this… I’m not sure how you read an affront (or even a comparison) to Castleberry into any of this discussion, however
No affront taken. My comment was in regard to the following quote, which was subsequently revised. :)

For that brief, shinning moment, Tony Hollings was the best running back Tech ever had and one of the best backs in the country. If not for a reserve running back not having his helmet on when he was called to substitute, fate might have turned differently.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
There were actually several teams. Duke did it and gained 3 first downs with it. Then when Clemson beat the snot out of GT in Atlanta they did it towards the end of the 3rd I believe. Most of the ACC was mocking Geoff.
Feels SOOO good to reminisce!!
IMG_8595.gif

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He had the ability to cut on a dime or reverse his field, both with exceptional vision for the field and speed to burn.

Tech was wrapping up another win in which he had his usual phenomenal game, was tired and ready to come out for the subs to do mop up. The coach turned to his replacement and the guy had his helmet off and was just kind of sitting around not paying attention to the game. So Hollings had to stay in one more play while this guy got his act together. That one extra play ended his career.

Prior to that, watching Tony was like watching some of the all time great running backs.
But even if the sub had been ready and that play hadn't happened, I have to wonder if Tony's knee was about to go out sooner or later, anyway. We'll never know...

slugboy

Staff member
No affront taken. My comment was in regard to the following quote, which was subsequently revised. :)
Hollings went from surprise Heisman candidate to medically out in an instant. It’s hard to make a comparison because his career was cut so short, but it was briefly brilliant.

Castleberry’s story is amazing, and it’s also got a knee injury and “what if he’d finished his career?” aspect. WW2 ended that, though

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You didn’t highlight the important part ..for that brief shinning moment. As you indicated, we can’t compare because it was just four games. I agreed with you agreeing with me.

Thus Castleberry wins and is the greatest.

But if Hollings had had a full career at that pace, averaging over 25 touchdowns a season, we might have to revive “the greatest” debate. And he certainly would have been Tech’s first Heisman winner.

Make sure you use the entire quote next time, not just the part that triggered you 😊

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
he had played ungodly great in 3-4 games after changing from defense to offense. he then went out and made a cut and blew his knee out
I saw Hollings play in high school - for the Twiggs County Cobras - and thought, he ain't playing QB at the next level but he's playing somewhere and he's going to be good at it.

slugboy

Staff member
I always felt like after he went down the first time they should've held him out rest of the game .
The game was over IIRC. One more strike against our offensive coordination back then.

Also, what backup isn’t ready to go in? They’re normally two feet from the coach, saying “put me in—I can do that and more”. After Hollings went out the first time, every other RB should have been lined up and ready to rotate for the rest of the game. That part of the story is crazy

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The game was over IIRC. One more strike against our offensive coordination back then.

Also, what backup isn’t ready to go in? They’re normally two feet from the coach, saying “put me in—I can do that and more”. After Hollings went out the first time, every other RB should have been lined up and ready to rotate for the rest of the game. That part of the story is crazy
Yeah, where was his helmet? In the locker room?