Coach Key on Twitter today

Status
Not open for further replies.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
There are very few people on swarm that I take what they say to be fact. Those few are saying that their is zero connection to PB and what Key posted early yesterday. It would be easy for some PJ fans to look at this as an indictment of his program with some mentioning the past 11 years. Even as one of those fans (for me) it is more about the past 27 or 28 years . I know they want to get the word out that we have moved on from the triple but he is really talking about the goal of National Championships in his post. Last time I checked, PJ is not the only coach since 1990 to not earn one.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
This is so silly... Some people's skins are so thin about this. How would you approach generating a new and uniform message from the coaching staff? "I am coach Brent Key, and while I appreciate the outgoing staff, I look forward to winning games as well!" That doesn't exactly have the same impact.

How many national titles did we win in the last 20 years? If we are shooting for that, that would be "raising the bar." Saying that is not a "slam" on the outgoing staff. I appreciate Paul Johnson and everything he did. He retired. Time for you to move on.

He didn't say raise the bar - he said we won't be playing small ball. That phrase is quite a bit different in connotation. However, I don't really care about this one tweet. My point was that I personally think that Parker didn't like all of the rah rah of the new staff. If you actually read all of my posts on this I have also said that's usually how it's done when a new staff comes to a program and none of the social media "hype" is a malicious attack.

None of us really know why he is leaving. Maybe it's to go play with his brother. Maybe it's to go to a team to be surrounded by vets to have more of a chance to go out a winner, maybe he does actually want to go play in an option offense to improve his draft stock (as the other thread started).

Animal02

Banned
There are very few people on swarm that I take what they say to be fact. Those few are saying that their is zero connection to PB and what Key posted early yesterday. It would be easy for some PJ fans to look at this as an indictment of his program with some mentioning the past 11 years. Even as one of those fans (for me) it is more about the past 27 or 28 years . I know they want to get the word out that we have moved on from the triple but he is really talking about the goal of National Championships in his post. Last time I checked, PJ is not the only coach since 1990 to not earn one.
I am pretty sure that was always a goal of each past coach as well.

Animal02

Banned
This is so silly... Some people's skins are so thin about this. How would you approach generating a new and uniform message from the coaching staff? "I am coach Brent Key, and while I appreciate the outgoing staff, I look forward to winning games as well!" That doesn't exactly have the same impact.

How many national titles did we win in the last 20 years? If we are shooting for that, that would be "raising the bar." Saying that is not a "slam" on the outgoing staff. I appreciate Paul Johnson and everything he did. He retired. Time for you to move on.
If you are saying the past several coaches were not also shooting for a NC.....the you are FOS.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Guys does anyone really think coach key had anything to do with that edit. A digital media marketing guy made it and gave it to him to post. I seriously doubt the marketing guy has any bones to pick with the previous staff. :)
By gawd, we need to fire that kid for creating divison within the forum. He is instilling a hostile work environment as well lol and he has no idea ;)

Thanks for your post, some people on here do not understand that these coaches do NOT produce 80 percent of their own texts.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
If you are saying the past several coaches were not also shooting for a NC.....the you are FOS.

Okay man. Let me break this down for you. We all know that our past coaches were shooting for a national title, right? Good. Now that is settled. Next, can we agree that there have been some messages, either true or untrue, that have been circulated by teams that are recruiting against us? Perfect. Now, can we agree that we have a new coaching staff that has no game film at Tech to show to anyone yet? Almost there. Perhaps we can agree that the new coaching staff is trying to create a unifying message that dispels some of those previously mentioned negative recruiting narratives. If they do that, maybe we will be able to recruit better, and win some more games. That sounds like a good thing, right?

"Playing small ball" speaks directly to the stupid "high school offense" narrative that has followed us for years. I like the option. I am sad CPJ retired. I am also looking forward to never hearing "high school offense" from tv, radio, news, and opposing fans.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Man some have gotten awfully creative on here. “We (new coaches) didn’t come Home (to GT) to play small ball”. I am sure that coach Key has gotten a few barbs for leaving Gods gift to college football (Bama) to come to little old GT. How on earth that you could tie that in to PB leaving is beyond me.
It’s called inference. It’s taught in 5th grade.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
For those of you keeping score, how does the loss of arguably our best offensive lineman - maybe the best player on our team - affect recruiting here in the last couple of weeks and the enthusiasm for the 2019 season?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Losing Braun doesn’t effect recruiting at all. They’ll be other departures forthcoming.

There will also be additions.

Best of luck to Braun, wish him the best, but it’s not stopping what Collins/Key and the staff are doing. They’ll have some grad transfers coming in as well.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Some folks have very thin skin. What do you expect the new staff to say? Let's keep the status quo? That would be one hell of a hashtag.....

I for one appreciate the new staffs attitude that they are going to make GT better. Elevate the program beyond where we are. That isn't a slap in PJs face by the way, and is what he aimed to do when he took over for Gailey. Lastly, the new approach appeals more to me than the "hey, we are a 7 win program historically so you fans should be grateful". That specifically drove me bananas from a messaging perspective.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
For those of you keeping score, how does the loss of arguably our best offensive lineman - maybe the best player on our team - affect recruiting here in the last couple of weeks and the enthusiasm for the 2019 season?

It opens up another scholly and a starting role for someone, it will give another player a shot at immediate starting PT that previously wasn't there. "Come to GT, play under former 'Bama OL guru Brent Key and start right away!" sounds better than "you'll be behind our All-American for a year but hey, there's always freshman Calc!"

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
From the perspective as a coach I’ll give two points:

1). If a coach is not trying to raise the bar from the previous year, month, day, hour, then he should get out of coaching all together. Whether that’s individual coaching or team athletics. If you he/she doesn’t want better results then they have gotten complacent and are doing themselves and whoever they are coaching a disservice. Just take some time and research how Saban has to establish new ways to get each team he has motivated to win a Natty. Every year is about raising the bar. So if that mentality is good for the greatest college football coach in history and his program then I say bring it on. So kudos to the coaching staff for establishing that early on.

2). If you’re not consistently and continually in the business of winning national championships and conference championships then in my opinion you are playing small ball.

All of that to say I don’t have any problem with it at all.

JacketEagle

Georgia Tech Fan
Any way you slice it or dice it the use of the "big boy football" implies to players and fans that you were not playing big boy football before. I don't understand all the big talk before you've done something to talk about. It's a phrase that is used to talk down to people that I've heard used by a few sec schools.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
From the perspective as a coach I’ll give two points:

1). If a coach is not trying to raise the bar from the previous year, month, day, hour, then he should get out of coaching all together. Whether that’s individual coaching or team athletics. If you he/she doesn’t want better results then they have gotten complacent and are doing themselves and whoever they are coaching a disservice. Just take some time and research how Saban has to establish new ways to get each team he has motivated to win a Natty. Every year is about raising the bar. So if that mentality is good for the greatest college football coach in history and his program then I say bring it on. So kudos to the coaching staff for establishing that early on.

2). If you’re not consistently and continually in the business of winning national championships and conference championships then in my opinion you are playing small ball.

All of that to say I don’t have any problem with it at all.
Welcome to small ball! Only Clemson and Alabama are consistently winning NCs!:)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I like CPJ. He relinquished control of the program willingly. The new staff needs to steer the ship their way. Part of that is changing negative perceptions about the program. Whether those perceptions are fair or unfair, they are 100 percent real. The new staff doesn't have time to worry about hurting CPJ's feelings. I would imagine he understands that, too. C'mon people.

Status
Not open for further replies.