Coach Key on Twitter today

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Then I would say this was the first misstep (IIMHO) on the hypetrain. Delay the push to tomorrow after the Duke Bball game or something else topical. Don't do it within the hour of KQ breaking this news.. Or be sensitive to the transfer.. or something.

The coaching staff posted those THIS MORNING.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
My theory is that it's related to the coaching change. Complete speculation on my part. Having said that, I don't harbor any ill will toward any side. I'm just sorry he won't be playing for GT next year. Sucks to lose a great player.

My rational mind says there's several reasons he might would leave and at the end of the day I hope he does well.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Congrats, a post that makes sense.

Look, I don't particularly care if I am wrong. Hopefully I am wrong and it's like what you say that he wants to play with a team where not everyone is starting from scratch. Having said that some of the social media stuff is absolutely a slam on the previous staff. That doesn't mean it was/is malicious, it's just the nature of the game.

Yes it was.

Key's here, and for the team's sake I hope he's successful. That said, that particular tweet -- "didn't come home to play small ball" and "raise the bar" -- was phrased in such a way as to be easy to infer as a thoroughly unnecessary and disrespectful commentary re the previous staff. "Raising the bar" as compared to what? Or who? Exactly. That comment wasn't just about "ambitions."

Too bad the vaunted recruiting prowess of the new staff couldn't lead to the retention of an All-ACC guard.

Thanks, farewell, and best of luck, Mr. Braun. You'll be missed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes it was.

Key's here, and for the team's sake I hope he's successful. That said, that particular tweet -- "didn't come home to play small ball" and "raise the bar" -- was phrased in such a way as to be easy to infer as a thoroughly unnecessary and disrespectful commentary re the previous staff. "Raising the bar" as compared to what? Or who? Exactly. That comment wasn't just about "ambitions."

Too bad the vaunted recruiting prowess of the new staff couldn't lead to the retention of an All-ACC guard.

I had to like this post so I be with Whisky, Cheese and Animal who like this post that blames the new staff for FAILING to keep Parker B.

The 3 musketeers and me!
We love sewak

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The coaching staff posted those THIS MORNING.

Hi @GTRock, thanks for mentioning this. If you look up a few posts you can see we had the conversation again. Not sure how you managed to quote my post and not see the response and my response back that covered this one but I suggest you look here:

c60c84da592f2e32a1e0d4f39f6d78fd.jpg

Then I would say this was the first misstep (IIMHO) on the hypetrain. Delay the push to tomorrow after the Duke Bball game or something else topical. Don't do it within the hour of KQ breaking this news.. Or be sensitive to the transfer.. or something.

This tweet was not tweeted in the last hour. This was tweeted at 4 AM today. All of the staff's tweets for this social media push today were done in the morning

Good call, I didn’t check the time stamp. Looks like I was on my own hype train

#CrushedThatFingerPoint

TripleTech

Georgia Tech Fan
Man some have gotten awfully creative on here. “We (new coaches) didn’t come Home (to GT) to play small ball”. I am sure that coach Key has gotten a few barbs for leaving Gods gift to college football (Bama) to come to little old GT. How on earth that you could tie that in to PB leaving is beyond me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting -- number 4
Seems reasonable.

If PB goes to Northwestern w Klock it would be a real laugher for the "assume the worst about people you dont like crowd".

Animal02

Banned
Man some have gotten awfully creative on here. “We (new coaches) didn’t come Home (to GT) to play small ball”. I am sure that coach Key has gotten a few barbs for leaving Gods gift to college football (Bama) to come to little old GT. How on earth that you could tie that in to PB leaving is beyond me.
No opinion on the tie in to PB....but the "raising the bar" can certainly be taken as a cheap shot at the former HC.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting -- number 4
Seems reasonable.

If PB goes to Northwestern w Klock it would be a real laugher for the "assume the worst about people you dont like crowd".

Klock doesn’t have eligibility left, barely played at Northwestern.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved CPJ. I hated to see him leave. But to always assume the new staff is taking cheap shots when the actual text can just as easily be seen as another hype to build excitement, seems counterproductive.

This staff does things VERY differently. I'm not sure it's always to my taste - I liked CPJ's style. But I can objectively see that this style is exciting to a younger crowd and to potential recruits. And it's fun to follow. Obviously, PB didn't mesh with this approach and preferred to pursue different options. Good for him - I wish him the best as he gave us his best every day he was part of GT. At the same time, I do not believe the staff is tying anything to his departure nor trying to insult CPJ's legacy.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying they are, but some of the things they have said can definitely be interpreted that way.

Yes, they can, if that's how you want to interpret them. They can also be just as easily seen as hype and hyperbole as this new staff is going overboard to create Buzz (pun intended). Several of the things CPJ has said can definitely be interpreted as an insult to the new staff. But, due to my fondness for him and his legacy, I assume he's just being his same blunt self and not worrying about others' interpretations. I just choose to give the new staff of MY TEAM the same courtesy of not inferring slights that have not been explicitly implied.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This has nothing to do with Braun. Just a coordinated staff Twitter push today

Staff caring about the entire program / team. Has nothing to do with one individual.

Parker has graduated. Would he not be transferring out regardless of the coach? Just like several have done the past few years.

Animal02

Banned
Yes, they can, if that's how you want to interpret them. They can also be just as easily seen as hype and hyperbole as this new staff is going overboard to create Buzz (pun intended). Several of the things CPJ has said can definitely be interpreted as an insult to the new staff. But, due to my fondness for him and his legacy, I assume he's just being his same blunt self and not worrying about others' interpretations. I just choose to give the new staff of MY TEAM the same courtesy of not inferring slights that have not been explicitly implied.
You don't have to worry about what you say nearly as much when you are no longer getting a pay check. ;)
I do think the new staff should be more care how they phrase things and the actions they take....as they are the one currently representing Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well said.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Yes it was.

I think the new staff spends a lot less time thinking about the previous staff than you think. I don't think they spend time thinking of ways to phrase things so that they will be interpreted as disrespectful to the previous staff. I don't think Brent Key sat at his desk thinking "hmmm, how can I word this tweet so as to be both hyping what we are trying to do here now AND be disrespectful of the previous staff at the same time but not completely overtly." I think Brent sits at his desk and says "I think GT can be far more than it's been in the last 11 years and it's time we did that and that's why we're here and we should let people know that." If you want to interpret "we can raise the bar" to mean "the previous staff sucked" then go right ahead. But in my book there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying that we can raise the bar from where it's been and if they aren't here to do that then there's no point in them being here at all.

As for Parker Braun I thank him for all he's done at GT and unless he's playing against us I'll wish him success. He represented GT well on and off the field and I will consider him a Tech man always. I think he probably is looking at going somewhere with less uncertainty where he can, potentially, really increase his NFL stock. I have no problem at all with that. He's more than earned my respect and well wishes.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude, the tweet talks about not playing small ball which is for all intents and purposes saying that they had been playing small ball. Not the picture, the text. If you don't think that has anything to do with Parker leaving that's your opinion. I for one do. I think that Parker didn't particularly care for the staff and this tweet is exhibit A of why not. I could be way off base with that. But one thing I am sure of - it's not to up his chances of being drafted.

And, I have already said they were not linked, i.e. the tweet wasn't sent out because Parker was leaving.

This is so silly... Some people's skins are so thin about this. How would you approach generating a new and uniform message from the coaching staff? "I am coach Brent Key, and while I appreciate the outgoing staff, I look forward to winning games as well!" That doesn't exactly have the same impact.

How many national titles did we win in the last 20 years? If we are shooting for that, that would be "raising the bar." Saying that is not a "slam" on the outgoing staff. I appreciate Paul Johnson and everything he did. He retired. Time for you to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.