Coach Dave Patenaude

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
No.. That is a wheel route... Even still, how often did we run that play?? A swing pass is much shorter and a higher percentage completion type pass. However; I would like to see more plays, such as you showed.... Just to get Gibbs some room...
I don't remember successfully running that play again in the Duke game but Gibbs did definitely run some routes that were similar throughout the game and Sims either went with a different receiver or couldn't get it out due to pressure. We did get the ball to Gibbs and Mason quite a few times with swing/wheel/flare routes in the Pitt game to varying degrees of success.

P-node is certainly not above criticism but when fonts complain "why don't we ever do XYZ" and we frequently do XYZ it just seems like you don't know what you're watching or you're whining for the sake of whining.

slugboy

Staff member
If you really want to surprise the other team, punt on second down. They’re never ready for that. (Tennessee used to punt a lot on third down. That’s gone out of favor)

I see the notion that we should be more interesting, different, and unconventional on offense. I also see that we should get an OC with a P5 pedigree. There's a reason that the "most interesting" offenses right now are at Army and Coastal Carolina. Offensive and defensive innovations get developed in small schools and work their way up. If you want conventional, risk-averse, doing exactly what everyone else does offense, the top league--the NFL--is for you. The larger P5 schools are the next in line to be conservative.

Patenaude can be criticized for some things, but if you think that experience coaching in a smaller schools shrinks your playbook, then I think you're not seeing the same things in football that I am.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you really want to surprise the other team, punt on second down. They’re never ready for that. (Tennessee used to punt a lot on third down. That’s gone out of favor)

I see the notion that we should be more interesting, different, and unconventional on offense. I also see that we should get an OC with a P5 pedigree. There's a reason that the "most interesting" offenses right now are at Army and Coastal Carolina. Offensive and defensive innovations get developed in small schools and work their way up. If you want conventional, risk-averse, doing exactly what everyone else does offense, the top league--the NFL--is for you. The larger P5 schools are the next in line to be conservative.

Patenaude can be criticized for some things, but if you think that experience coaching in a smaller schools shrinks your playbook, then I think you're not seeing the same things in football that I am.
Dodd was an advocate of punting on third down. I think he even did it in the last game coached.

You don’t see quick kicks much anymore which used to be a formidable weapon. I guess in the age of high powered offenses you don’t want to lose your turn at bat and field position football is no longer a thing.

But I honestly think that some teams that are pinned inside their own five yard line and have a 3rd down and 15 might do better to punt on third before the other team figures it out.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I actually think we should pass more. Other teams know that our RBs are our strength and they sell out to stop it. They say let sims beat us through the air, I say why not try? Sims has certainly improved his passing game since last year. Pitt was particularly frustrating because we got killed on the ground but sims had almost 400 yards passing. Watching the game it was obvious we could pass for 5-7 yards easy on every play. However, instead we would run gibbs up the middle which was LOSING yards all day. The play calling is too predictable. Our play calls are basically like pressing “Ask Madden” on every play. That’s why I say pass early and often so the D backs off a little bit.
Sims has yet to have a game with 30+ attempts without at least two INTs. It's not really sustainable to raise that even further until he gets that under control. Unfortunately, other teams know that. We have to find some way to get the run game going if we want to get another win or two this year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I used to run fake punts on first down in the RedZone in Madden and NCAA. That really confused 'em

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

His experience in smaller schools is not exactly what concerns me. It is the fact that he has been at the lower level for so long. If he was truly a P5 level OC he should have been brought up to this level years ago. The assistants that are pulled from the lower levels are typically younger up-and-coming coaches that are excelling at that level. Most veteran P5 assistants come from other P5 programs or even the NFL. However, I still think we went with CDP cause that is what our current budget allows.

While he makes some boneheaded calls, I think overall he calls decent plays but we struggle often to execute. My 2 biggest issues with him are he does not seem to adjust well mid-game and he is not great at hiding our weaknesses and playing to our strengths.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No.. That is a wheel route... Even still, how often did we run that play?? A swing pass is much shorter and a higher percentage completion type pass. However; I would like to see more plays, such as you showed.... Just to get Gibbs some room...
Maybe you are thinking about the one we tried against Pitt? I think it was Pitt. Gibbs one on one against a linebacker in space and loses 3 yards at the goal line?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Coaching career:

Coast Guard Academy
Springfield
Fordham
Columbia
New Haven
Holy Cross
Hofstra
Georgetown
Coastal Carolina
Temple
Georgia Tech

Not exactly the ideal resume for a P5 team. My theory had been that TStan would give Geoff more money to upgrade assistants after more legacy costs were reduced. But then Covid hit ...

Starting a career at the USCGA is where it's at. It's worked well for me.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I know college coaches are extremely busy but if I were one, I would be sorely tempted to look at these boards just for the laughs. Seriously.
You laugh but have you noticed that he has added two of the things the boards have been screaming for? Two back sets, and QB under center at the goal-line.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Guys be realistic , we have a head coach with not enough experience and no money to pay for a good OC . if you have $100 your not going to get a Mercedes to drive and if you do you won't like it.
1634314073129.jpeg

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Fully agree.... We ARE NOT BAMA.... We cannot simply impose our will, because we're bigger and faster in all aspects.... I would like to see some misdirection type plays... More importantly, why can't we implement a half back swing pass?? One that isolates a LB on Gibbs? Line 3 wide on one side and pull Gibbs to the other.. That alone would stress the crap out of a defense... It lines up a safety or LB to cover that swing pass... Just my input for a play...
You mean sort of like the one that went for 77 yards and a TD on our first drive ...... well, actually that one isolated Gibbs on ...... nobody .... because Duke busted that coverage to kingdom come.