Coach Collins doing SB53 media rounds

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if CGC liked this part of the interview when Shaq was asked about GT preparing him for the NFL/life:

"Georgia Tech is a hard atmosphere, it's tough.........they treat you like grown men."

I like it, and of course Shaq clearly communicated it as a positive for him, but I know this frightens some recruits. It should not, because if they are willing to accept the challenge, then they will be better prepared for life and all other endeavors.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry - Total Person Program...

upload_2019-1-29_15-24-33.png

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I agree we enjoyed our most consistent success under O’Leary. Although mid season rankings reflect perception more than results. I also think he was going against overall weaker competition. If you look at beating top 10 teams, without looking it up I would guess Johnson would be the leader on that stat. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an O’Leary fan too. I just don’t believe the difference between the 2 is that big.

Good question. I did some back of the napkin math and came up with the following. Note that these results are against opponents as they were ranked at the time the game was played. Seems CPJ was better against the top 10 and GOL was better against the top 25. Notably, CPJ's record against ranked teams dropped off dramatically starting 2015, especially as Clemson and UGA rose.

O’leary Win Percentage:
vs top 10: 22% (2-7) (1-4 at home)
vs top 25: 42% (11-15) (that is pretty darn good)

CPJ Win Percentage:
vs top 10: 31% (5-11) (3-4 at home)
vs top 25: 34% (13-25)

Interesting note: CPJ started 4-4 against top 10 (4-1 at home) and 12-18 vs top 25 (close to GOL), but finished 0-7 against top 10 CU/UGA teams the last four years. Ouch.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if CGC liked this part of the interview when Shaq was asked about GT preparing him for the NFL/life:

"Georgia Tech is a hard atmosphere, it's tough.........they treat you like grown men."

I like it, and of course Shaq clearly communicated it as a positive for him, but I know this frightens some recruits. It should not, because if they are willing to accept the challenge, then they will be better prepared for life and all other endeavors.
Whoever it frightens gets weeded out on the front end. I like it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree about him saying we were perennially top 10...made me cringe a bit...but that just what marketers/salespeople do from time to time.

PJ's gone.

Messaging.

Fail.

I’m all for him saying how great he can make Tech. Claim a natty is coming soon for all I care. But the TE “incredulity” and talking down recent success is a message fail. I hope he coaches up the D better than he is “messaging” here.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Messaging.

Fail.

I’m all for him saying how great he can make Tech. Claim a natty is coming soon for all I care. But the TE “incredulity” and talking down recent success is a message fail. I hope he coaches up the D better than he is “messaging” here.

What recent success? We haven't been ranked in nearly 4 seasons. Going on 45 games. 24-25 record past 4 seasons. 17-24 vs P5 teams.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
What recent success? We haven't been ranked in nearly 4 seasons. Going on 45 games. 24-25 record past 4 seasons. 17-24 vs P5 teams.

I mean, these facts are true if you select 2015-2018. If you go back to 2014, there is definitely recent success including top 10 finish, an ACC title game appearance, Orange Bowl victory, and wins of CU and UGA in the same year.

If you instead go back to 2016 instead of 2015 (i.e. more recent), Tech has a 21-16 record (13-11 ACC), a 9 win season in 2016 (tying the most CCG ever had), a win over UGA, a bowl win over an SEC team, and finished 2nd and 3rd in the Coastal the last two years. Not "elite," but sure cuts a different tone when you select any sample size other than just 2015-2018.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Good question. I did some back of the napkin math and came up with the following. Note that these results are against opponents as they were ranked at the time the game was played. Seems CPJ was better against the top 10 and GOL was better against the top 25. Notably, CPJ's record against ranked teams dropped off dramatically starting 2015, especially as Clemson and UGA rose.

O’leary Win Percentage:
vs top 10: 22% (2-7) (1-4 at home)
vs top 25: 42% (11-15) (that is pretty darn good)

CPJ Win Percentage:
vs top 10: 31% (5-11) (3-4 at home)
vs top 25: 34% (13-25)

Interesting note: CPJ started 4-4 against top 10 (4-1 at home) and 12-18 vs top 25 (close to GOL), but finished 0-7 against top 10 CU/UGA teams the last four years. Ouch.
Actually the 0-7 (Clemson- Ga) wasn't against top ten, it was against final top 5 kind of teams. In both O'Leary and CPJ wins you mention, a lot were early year games before those teams faded into the sunset. Show me how many times either coach (Hell, any coach after Dodd) beat a final top 5 team . No final top 5s in 1990 (Virginia faded). I can only think of the Curry game against Ala. Maybe others are out their. I loved both O'Leary and PJ but refuse to compare them. The fact is, neither finished in the top 5 and probably would have lost to any final top 5 team.