Coach Brent Key Scenario

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you really gain any advantage in firing the coach early with respect to finding a new coach. I don't think a potential coach like Chadwell is going to leave his current team before the end of the season. Such a coach would leave between the end of the season and miss the bowl game, but most likely would not leave before the last regular game. If such a coach did leave, they wouldn't start coaching the team immediately. Even someone who isn't currently coaching, like Mullen, would not start coaching immediately.

There could be an agreement in place, but I doubt that a new coach will be signed and named before the mutt game.
Of course an outside hire wouldn't be coaching immediately, but I do believe an agreement would be in place either way. And the cat wouldn't stay in the bag.

This cuts both ways. It's a potentially difficult position for the A.D. What if Key gets it and flubs the last two games? Or, what if someone else is hired and Key clobbers UNC and gives Ugag a run for its money? But even so, I think the dice will have been rolled before the final game, or even the final two games.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This can't be a serious response. Who would manage the team in that scenario.

Totally creating a strawman and totally not looking at the very real likely scenario and addressing both the scenarios of making the usual decision at the end of the year and making the decision when it would be best received by the fanbase and how both cases don't lend itself to the hire. You got me.

Not really. Going by current RPI the scenario I talked about has us losing to the top 5 highest rated teams we faced and losing to the lowest 7. It'd be shocking in the sense that nobody expected it, either before the season or after 4 games, but if you assumed we'd go 7-5 this year you would still likely predict we'd start 2-3 with losses to Clemson and Ole Miss and then one of either Pitt or UCF depending on how you felt about what Pitt gained/lost in the off season.

So I wouldn't call that a shockingly complete 180 in terms of direction of the program. It was an expected shift in the difficulty of our schedule. Our schedule went from 3 of the first 4 games being against RPI top 35 teams to 6 games where the average opponent is RPI 84.7 currently. Then ending on the road against two teams currently ranked in the top 25 RPI.
The favorable shift in our remaining games' relative RPI has largely taken place since we beat Pitt and Duke. We were not favored in either of those two games and at the time would not have been favored in all but 1 or 2 of the remaining games on the schedule. Using current RPI as an indicator is naturally going to decrease the "shocking" factor if we continue to win games. I was trying to capture the fanbase's mindset at the point of dismissal of Collins and Stansbury. If we take the perspective that we had after game 4, I maintain that a 6-game win streak would be a 180 shift. Otherwise, your point is valid.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Going by current RPI the scenario I talked about has us losing to the top 5 highest rated teams we faced and losing to the lowest 7. It'd be shocking in the sense that nobody expected it, either before the season or after 4 games, but if you assumed we'd go 7-5 this year you would still likely predict we'd start 2-3 with losses to Clemson and Ole Miss and then one of either Pitt or UCF depending on how you felt about what Pitt gained/lost in the off season.

So I wouldn't call that a shockingly complete 180 in terms of direction of the program. It was an expected shift in the difficulty of our schedule. Our schedule went from 3 of the first 4 games being against RPI top 35 teams to 6 games where the average opponent is RPI 84.7 currently. Then ending on the road against two teams currently ranked in the top 25 RPI.
Screw all the numbers. It's a shocking turnaround by my eyeball assessment of how the team is playing compared to the first four games. But that will have to continue for Brent to get the job.
I imagine the win over Pitt was probably the biggest point spread upset Georgia Tech has pulled off since the Jackets beat Alabama in Birmingham in 1981.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do you think Cabrera is going to publicly say that there a few boosters that are having back channel conversations with coaching prospects even if he knew about it?

Are you surprised that there are a few boosters with enough influence at Tech to do this on their own even if it is without the President's explicit approval?

Oh, boosters are free to do what they want. However, doesn't mean that their efforts will be well received or even considered by the next AD. The fact that we're hearing movement on the HFC front spearheaded by boosters is not only concerning, but it's the antithesis of the message Cabrera sent at the presser announcing Collins and Stansbury were fired.

Reading between the lines, it appears Cabrera named Neville the interim for a reason, and he specifically made a point to say that the next AD will be the one to run the HFC search. There's a reason why Stansbury is gone, and the #2 guy in the Athletic Department quietly left. Neville being interim AD, and not someone from within the Athletic department, is a signal that the old way (giving Donors heavier weight in making hiring decisions) isn't going to cut it this time. I think Cabrera would be stupid to not hear mega Donors out and give them a voice...given GT's financial situation, donors are an important part of our funding, but I also think Cabrera's moves are also a message to the donors: You had your chance, you picked Collins and it didn't work out, now we're going change directions letting #1 and #2 in the Athletic Department go, and we're to review how things are done in the Athletic Department and do it a different way. Sports does not wag the dog at GT.

I don't think there's any problems with vetting candidates, but that's why Cabrera paid a LOT of money to Parker Executive Search (PES). Will donors have input? Most likely because they will probably be stroking checks, but I don't think Cabrera wants a parallel search with PES and donors. That sends a wrong message to HFC candidates...Why is PES calling for GT...AND donors?!! I don't think candidates would want to step into another Auburn type situation.

It's interesting because the AJC ran a story a few weeks ago about possible AD candidates. Some on here hinted that one of the prominent candidates mentioned in the AJC write up was going to be "the guy" according to their sources...Allen Greene. Turns out, he wasn't even a candidate. I think that's great because it sounds like Cabrera and Neville are keeping things close to the vest, and staying true to their word: Parker Executive Search will be running the search for both AD and HFC, regardless how much donors want input.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not really. Going by current RPI the scenario I talked about has us losing to the top 5 highest rated teams we faced and losing to the lowest 7. It'd be shocking in the sense that nobody expected it, either before the season or after 4 games, but if you assumed we'd go 7-5 this year you would still likely predict we'd start 2-3 with losses to Clemson and Ole Miss and then one of either Pitt or UCF depending on how you felt about what Pitt gained/lost in the off season.

Nobody expected us to go 7-5 though. Sure, that’s kind of what Tech has historically done over last several decades, but nobody expected it this year. Vegas’ win line was set at 3.5. A lot of folks on this very board said they would be surprised if we beat anybody outside of Western Carolina. Everybody knew the schedule would be front loaded, and there was a decent chance we’d start the year 1-3. But nobody would’ve thought we controlled our own destiny in the Coastal through 6 games after watching the first 4.

As @roadkill said, the RPI numbers didn’t start looking good for us until the past 2 weeks. Before the Pitt game we were not favored to win any of our remaining 8 games. We’re now favored to win against UVA, and by the time of the game we’ll probably be favored against VT too. Games that would’ve been considered upsets just 3 weeks ago are games that most people expect us to win now.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Lets say we win the above 4, then lose to UNC and UGA to close out the season, hiring Key would be underwhelming to say the least.
Respectfully disagree. I think Key going 6-2 as a Head Coach and bringing us to 6-2 in conference (as well as a potential ACCCG appearance) would convince many people that we should retain Key regardless if we lose those last two games.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh, boosters are free to do what they want. However, doesn't mean that their efforts will be well received or even considered by the next AD. The fact that we're hearing movement on the HFC front spearheaded by boosters is not only concerning, but it's the antithesis of the message Cabrera sent at the presser announcing Collins and Stansbury were fired.

Reading between the lines, it appears Cabrera named Neville the interim for a reason, and he specifically made a point to say that the next AD will be the one to run the HFC search. There's a reason why Stansbury is gone, and the #2 guy in the Athletic Department quietly left. Neville being interim AD, and not someone from within the Athletic department, is a signal that the old way (giving Donors heavier weight in making hiring decisions) isn't going to cut it this time. I think Cabrera would be stupid to not hear mega Donors out and give them a voice...given GT's financial situation, donors are an important part of our funding, but I also think Cabrera's moves are also a message to the donors: You had your chance, you picked Collins and it didn't work out, now we're going change directions letting #1 and #2 in the Athletic Department go, and we're to review how things are done in the Athletic Department and do it a different way. Sports does not wag the dog at GT.

I don't think there's any problems with vetting candidates, but that's why Cabrera paid a LOT of money to Parker Executive Search (PES). Will donors have input? Most likely because they will probably be stroking checks, but I don't think Cabrera wants a parallel search with PES and donors. That sends a wrong message to HFC candidates...Why is PES calling for GT...AND donors?!! I don't think candidates would want to step into another Auburn type situation.

It's interesting because the AJC ran a story a few weeks ago about possible AD candidates. Some on here hinted that one of the prominent candidates mentioned in the AJC write up was going to be "the guy" according to their sources...Allen Greene. Turns out, he wasn't even a candidate. I think that's great because it sounds like Cabrera and Neville are keeping things close to the vest, and staying true to their word: Parker Executive Search will be running the search for both AD and HFC, regardless how much donors want input.
I agree to an extent.

Yes, it would be counterproductive for boosters to be going behind the back of President Cabrera and IAD Neville without their approval, but I am sure some boosters are doing booster type stuff behind the scenes both in discussion with Cabrera/Neville as well as with potential coaching candidates as they are wont to do. There is probably tacit approval for the contact with certain coaches even if Cabrera and Neville are saying something different publicly. Further, just because PES is performing their evaluation does not preclude boosters from making contact to individuals to gauge their level of interest as well as what it would take for them to accept an offer. The contact could be done in conjunction with PES assessment. I think everyone is keeping this search pretty close to the vest, which is what my contact suggested and why he did not want to share details. As you said with the AD search, what is being projected by the talking heads on our HC search is probably not the same as what is going on behind the scenes. Either way, it does not matter what we were told the process would be if President Cabrera, IAD Neville, the newly hired AD, and the boosters all come to an agreement on the new HC.

slugboy

Staff member
Nobody expected us to go 7-5 though. Sure, that’s kind of what Tech has historically done over last several decades, but nobody expected it this year. Vegas’ win line was set at 3.5. A lot of folks on this very board said they would be surprised if we beat anybody outside of Western Carolina. Everybody knew the schedule would be front loaded, and there was a decent chance we’d start the year 1-3. But nobody would’ve thought we controlled our own destiny in the Coastal through 6 games after watching the first 4.

As @roadkill said, the RPI numbers didn’t start looking good for us until the past 2 weeks. Before the Pitt game we were not favored to win any of our remaining 8 games. We’re now favored to win against UVA, and by the time of the game we’ll probably be favored against VT too. Games that would’ve been considered upsets just 3 weeks ago are games that most people expect us to win now.
RPI is one thing, but it’s not the only thing. We underperformed in our first four games, even taking garbage time out. We really underperformed against Ole Miss and UCF.

We played better against Pitt and Duke (aside from being really bad at running out the clock, which was terrible). That (and VT and UVA being worse than initially expected ) are why we’re getting favored now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree to an extent.

Yes, it would be counterproductive for boosters to be going behind the back of President Cabrera and IAD Neville without their approval, but I am sure some boosters are doing booster type stuff behind the scenes both in discussion with Cabrera/Neville as well as with potential coaching candidates as they are wont to do. There is probably tacit approval for the contact with certain coaches even if Cabrera and Neville are saying something different publicly. Further, just because PES is performing their evaluation does not preclude boosters from making contact to individuals to gauge their level of interest as well as what it would take for them to accept an offer. The contact could be done in conjunction with PES assessment. I think everyone is keeping this search pretty close to the vest, which is what my contact suggested and why he did not want to share details. As you said with the AD search, what is being projected by the talking heads on our HC search is probably not the same as what is going on behind the scenes. Either way, it does not matter what we were told the process would be if President Cabrera, IAD Neville, the newly hired AD, and the boosters all come to an agreement on the new HC.

My concern is we have rogue boosters who want "their guy" and are trying to operate on their own instead of working with Cabrera and the new AD. As I said, mega donors are very important to the welfare of our athletics department. GT does not need, nor can we afford, a situation like Auburn and Texas. I'm actually relieved that some of these rumors from certain fonts have so far proven untrue. It tells me Cabrera and Neville are going about it in the best interest of GT, and in the same direction than how it played out with Stansbury and CGC.

Hopefully at the end of this process (both AD and HFC) all of us will be happy and we can turn the page on this chapter of GT football.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My concern is we have rogue boosters who want "their guy" and are trying to operate on their own instead of working with Cabrera and the new AD. As I said, mega donors are very important to the welfare of our athletics department. GT does not need, nor can we afford, a situation like Auburn and Texas. I'm actually relieved that some of these rumors from certain fonts have so far proven untrue. It tells me Cabrera and Neville are going about it in the best interest of GT, and in the same direction than how it played out with Stansbury and CGC.

Hopefully at the end of this process (both AD and HFC) all of us will be happy and we can turn the page on this chapter of GT football.
I agree. And now that we have our new AD, I think all of this behind the scenes stuff will be coordinated under Batt and Neville.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if he favors BOB or Key? There is a connection with both. Key wants the job. Not sure BOB is even interested.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This hire by Batt will be heavily scrutinized by everyone (players, fans, donors, media, search firm, Pres. Cab, etc…)! This is a critical hire and one that has been expensive to say the least. So I can’t imagine that Batt would not just look at Key and say “Job is yours!” Not to mention this is a resume building moment for his career as well. He also knows that he is afforded this opportunity due to the missteps of the man before him. Everyone is going to be watching/examining the head coach hire with a fine tooth comb. This will be interesting and a HUGE opportunity to move forward in a BIG way! The pressure is on and I assume Batt is expected to report immediately?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Losing to uga wouldn't affect my outlook of retaining him at all. Not sure why it would for anyone.
I agree, There’s really only 1-2 teams in cfb that can hang with uga unless they are sleepwalking like vs. Mizzu (which will never happen against GT btw). They are beating solid SEC defenses by 40-50 every week