Coach Brent Key Scenario

Wildbilliam1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Does anyone else get the vibe that Bryce looks at GT through rose colored glasses? I’ve listened to a few things he’s produced and just can’t shake the feeling he’s a dog in gold pajamas from 9 to 5, M-F. Maybe just me. Offering McGee as a better choice than Key is just more fuel to that fire.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else get the vibe that Bryce looks at GT through rose colored glasses? I’ve listened to a few things he’s produced and just can’t shake the feeling he’s a dog in gold pajamas from 9 to 5, M-F. Maybe just me. Offering McGee as a better choice than Key is just more fuel to that fire.
I Listened to his podcast a few times, I think he talks a lot of fluff with very little actual content. Not really worth paying much attention to.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, I don’t think he did that. Unless I missed it, he only gave potential names in the context of “if you decide to keep Key, you still have to give him the same investment / support that you would give Chadwell or McGee or whomever...”

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree for the most part, but the only way we should keep Key is going all out for coordinators. As for Collins being distracted, which is really a reasonable view, however, I saw NO evidence on Saturdays that would make me believe he would be better having done absolute full time coaching.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry, winning the UGA game will not be the litmus test. Being blown out and not competing would be. I despise giving the mutts any credit but we will probably be one of the 11 teams to lose to them, many by a huge score. The difference between the top 4-6 teams and the rest is huge.

If he wins 4 more games and plays the rest close, he deserves a shot. Short contract, heavy incentives, then the new AD could kick him to the curb in two years or give him a very competitive contract after his success.

So basically, because we can't judge him on the UGA game, he should get the head coaching position based on what amounts to half a year that doesn't include any of the top 3 teams we would have faced this year?

If he is really worth it then why would you go short contract that would be set up to have him fired in two years? A contract that we'd be laughed at if we offered literally any other candidate we're being talked about being interested in? Because you know that him doing what you are suggesting wouldn't get him looked at by any other P5 HC job.

If you really believe in Key, then give him the same offer you'd make to O'Brien or Chadwell, and if you're response is that would be a horrible contract to give, which would be mine, then you don't really think he deserves the job and are more wanting a contract with a low buyout than to make a good hire.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Amazing how there’s been little to no mention of Deion since the Pitt win. Haha.

There's been relatively little talk of the coaching search outside of the initial flurry, which is to be expected since we likely will focus first on getting an AD and we're a month and a half out from the usual coaching hiring season.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I have heard rumblings there are things going on the background that will make our fan base very happy with regards to our next coach. Sorry for the cryptic post, but my contact did not want to share details. Having said that, I trust him implicitly without question on these matters. It sounded like many of the major boosters want to look outside. However, I do think Key can change the calculus if he continues to win.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have heard rumblings there are things going on the background that will make our fan base very happy with regards to our next coach. Sorry for the cryptic post, but my contact did not want to share details. Having said that, I trust him implicitly without question on these matters. It sounded like many of the major boosters want to look outside. However, I do think Key can change the calculus if he continues to win.

These booster rumors are weird considering Cabrera said he wants to hire an AD first and empower the AD to make the hiring decision on the next HFC. As of today there's no AD.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
These booster rumors are weird considering Cabrera said he wants to hire an AD first and empower the AD to make the hiring decision on the next HFC. As of today there's no AD.
Do you think Cabrera is going to publicly say that there a few boosters that are having back channel conversations with coaching prospects even if he knew about it?

Are you surprised that there are a few boosters with enough influence at Tech to do this on their own even if it is without the President's explicit approval?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Can you confirm that perhaps Cabrera and the boosters are meeting together and tossing around ideas on a HC without the boosters reaching out on their own to prospective coaches?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Even though Bryce didn't attend ugag (believe his wife did), a quick google search shows him in uga jerseys and sweatshirts alot. I feel as if he couldn't get a uga/$ec gig so he just took what he could and we were it. I might be wrong but is what it is....

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
"My super special contact told me nothing and I trust him implicitly"

CSB

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
So basically, because we can't judge him on the UGA game, he should get the head coaching position based on what amounts to half a year that doesn't include any of the top 3 teams we would have faced this year?

If he is really worth it then why would you go short contract that would be set up to have him fired in two years? A contract that we'd be laughed at if we offered literally any other candidate we're being talked about being interested in? Because you know that him doing what you are suggesting wouldn't get him looked at by any other P5 HC job.

If you really believe in Key, then give him the same offer you'd make to O'Brien or Chadwell, and if you're response is that would be a horrible contract to give, which would be mine, then you don't really think he deserves the job and are more wanting a contract with a low buyout than to make a good hire.
To be fair, if Key wins 6 he would have met the bar many of us said was required of Collins to keep his job. Has the bar been raised?