Coach Brent Key Scenario

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If he shows the attributes of a potential head coach then he deserves to be considered. He can certainly help his career.
Ted Roof took over as interim when Carl Franks was fired at Duke during the season. Duke then upsets us under Roof and they made Roof HC. That didn't turn out too well for Duke.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been thinking about this and I am torn. It sounds like he has already made a ton of changes to how they practice and prep so if we start winning games it is likely because of him. It also would seem to validate the rumors that Collins had too much control over the operations and decisions that it handcuffed some of the coaches from being successful. Additionally with the almost completely new staff this year we actually showed glimpses of great things through the first few games but had the same issues of discipline and game day coaching snafoos that have been a constant thread through Collins' tenure. Key seems to have a big focus with his changes on discipline and also talked about playing to win rather than to not lose which I feel has been the way Collins has coached (i.e. running the clock out at the end of the first halves rather than trying to score. If Key does stay though, I would get rid of at least Thacker cause he is still so closely tied to Collins.

On the other side, I believe the administration and a lot of the fans are ready for a complete gutting of the football staff and starting over, which I completely get. This is evident in that the interim AD was not promoted from within the athletics department so as to get a fresh perspective moving forward. Additionally a new AD will want to be the one to hire his own coach to put his stamp on the program.

Regardless, this coaching staff should be doing whatever they can to win now as it is basically an interview for their next job whether here or somewhere else.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Regardless, this coaching staff should be doing whatever they can to win now as it is basically an interview for their next job whether here or somewhere else.

With the portal and staff changes, I think you can say the same for the players. If they want to leave and still play FB, they need to have some good tape on file.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Those kids that have already transferred can’t transfer again with immediate eligibility. This was one of the reasons I like going Portal heavy with recruiting. Much less likely to have kids bolt to the Portal if they’re not seeing the PT they want early. Let someone else change their diapers and teach them to walk. Let’s get them once they can run.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Total hypothetical, but if this team responds well to the coaching change to CBK what are the chances of him having the interim term removed from his title? How many wins would he have to lead us to? And would anyone even want him as a candidate for our head football coaching position?

I am not so much in counting the wins but am watching for the improvement in execution, competitiveness especially in the fourth quarter, lack of embarrassment in special teams, play calls, penalties, clock management, red zone O and D, and sideline clowns , not feeling we lost because we got so out coached, and hope for a real turnaround sooner rather than later. Lets support Key in hopes of some real achievement in beginning in a big way of putting this mess behind us. Key's fate should be determined by results on the field but a large number of wins is not likely.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ask on this thread yet. And after everyone seems pleased with CBK’s press conference it’s worth a discussion.

What does CBK have to do the rest of the year to even get a second look at retaining the HC job on permanent status? Is there a certain number of wins, or boxes he can check for GT to let him keep the job? With 8 games left he has to go 5-3 (or 5-2 against everybody not named UGA) to make a bowl game. That would almost double CGCs career high for single season wins in only 3/4 of a season. Would CBK making a bowl game warrant a second look at keeping him as HC?

What if he goes 3-5? He would match CGCs standard is 3/4 of a season amid a ton of turmoil within the program. That would be a pretty admirable effort. Enough to keep him around? I don’t know.

I think everyone has been pretty disappointed with CBKs OL recruiting and on field play since he’s been here. But if the rumors about Collins over stepping his boundaries, and his practice style not being conducive to development, what if Key really isn’t the one the blame there? Not saying that’s the case, but just, what if?

I think it’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been discussed yet. To me it would be really hard to let a hometown boy go who just led you to a bowl game for the first time in 4 years, after replacing the worst coach in school history mid-season.

What do you guys think?
He won’t be considered as the coach will be selected before the season is over.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Key was very restrained in what he said on the podium but what I heard and believe is that things are going to be VERY different. If we can play with less unforced mistakes this week than in the past, regardless of score and execution, that will show that a few days of different ways of practice are making things change. Give the staff a couple weeks of real practices the way CFB practices should be run, then we may actually see some real improvement. You play the way you practice! There is talent on this team. Key and Long aren’t idiots, they were just handcuffed. If the team can pull out a win, everybody will see what the new program has to offer. Losing sucks… so regardless of what was being sold before to the kids….winning some games will wash that away. Go jackets!

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ask on this thread yet. And after everyone seems pleased with CBK’s press conference it’s worth a discussion.

What does CBK have to do the rest of the year to even get a second look at retaining the HC job on permanent status? Is there a certain number of wins, or boxes he can check for GT to let him keep the job? With 8 games left he has to go 5-3 (or 5-2 against everybody not named UGA) to make a bowl game. That would almost double CGCs career high for single season wins in only 3/4 of a season. Would CBK making a bowl game warrant a second look at keeping him as HC?

What if he goes 3-5? He would match CGCs standard is 3/4 of a season amid a ton of turmoil within the program. That would be a pretty admirable effort. Enough to keep him around? I don’t know.

I think everyone has been pretty disappointed with CBKs OL recruiting and on field play since he’s been here. But if the rumors about Collins over stepping his boundaries, and his practice style not being conducive to development, what if Key really isn’t the one the blame there? Not saying that’s the case, but just, what if?

I think it’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been discussed yet. To me it would be really hard to let a hometown boy go who just led you to a bowl game for the first time in 4 years, after replacing the worst coach in school history mid-season.

What do you guys think?
If he did win enough to be named HC, it would be the biggest transformation in College Football History.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, the only way CBK gets a legitimate interview for GT HC is if he beats uga. I’m sure we’ll courtesy interview him if we show improvement and win a few, though.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
ICBK gets hired when his performance curve crosses above the desperation curve. If a Very Much Win candidate shows interest early, ICBK may never have a chance. If the search is still dry and it's time to start recruiting then he whatever he has accomplished may get a longer look.