Coach Brent Key Scenario

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It's really interesting seeing how much Key has done in just two weeks, what was collins doing that wasnt working ? What is Key doing now?

The energy level with the team exactly represents what Collins was trying to do but couldn't.

Just imagine if key had started our season as coach .
The DL is definitely playing with more push and the secondary is just plain better. May be better organization of the staff in the secondary or Tillman is doing a better job. I like to think it's both. I saw some good open field tackling that was often missing.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just curious as to how Key's last 6 games MAY influence our AD search. Say we were to go 4-2 in the last 6 (very doable as is 2-4). That leaves Key at 6-2 as a HC with wins over most of our divisional opponents. That makes him an overwhelming fan favorite for the HC job and takes away some of the hiring authority of the new AD. Or, if the AD truly wants to go get "his guy" instead of inheriting a HC that has won the job while "filling in": he runs the risk of upsetting the fan base as his very first move on the job. Do you think any potential hires are keeping an eye on this situation.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just curious as to how Key's last 6 games MAY influence our AD search. Say we were to go 4-2 in the last 6 (very doable as is 2-4). That leaves Key at 6-2 as a HC with wins over most of our divisional opponents. That makes him an overwhelming fan favorite for the HC job and takes away some of the hiring authority of the new AD. Or, if the AD truly wants to go get "his guy" instead of inheriting a HC that has won the job while "filling in": he runs the risk of upsetting the fan base as his very first move on the job. Do you think any potential hires are keeping an eye on this situation.
We fans sit at home and ruminate of how time outs are used.

Fans are not as important as the players.

Players see who is cutting it and earning playing time. True freshman safety earned pt and balled out yesterday.

Just before half key punted on 4th down w short yardage - mumur murmer when punt sailed into endzone. ( the punter is really strggling ) We stopped them w no points.

I hope the AD has a good references Key s and staff spotting and playing talent. We played some dbs for 3 years that never turned out. Eye for talent is very important.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The problems with hiring key in that situation are as follows.

1. A new AD. Not just because he or she will want to make their own hire, but because the firing mid year of an AD sends the message of a complete cleaning out. Promoting from within after doesn't just make it harder to attract an AD, it doesn't go in line with the message sent after making the decision to fire TStan mid year. Maybe he was ordered to fire Collins and refused, but I can't see that happen (either the order or the refusal).

2. Key will be judged not just on 8 games, but on his entire resume, including the last 3 and a half years. And if you hire Key, you are likely committing to more or less the same coaching staff with one or two additions. Fans love to pretend that the head coach is entirely responsible for every aspect, but Collins wasn't the only issue we had, and if we turn it around it won't be due only to Key's effort either. That again goes against the point above.

3. The UGA game is the last game of the year, and will likely be a beatdown. I can't see doing everything we've done, ending the year with another beatdown at the hands of an instate rival, and then promoting from within after the big show of firing not just the coach but also the AD mid year. So Key likely needs to beat UGA to earn the job imo. I also doubt that not hiring Key will really upset the fanbase that much if it's coming off a 49-3 beatdown or something similar. Also, if we go 4-2 over the last 6 there is a very good chance that the two losses are UNC and UGA to end the year which just heightens that effect.

4. Potential problems going forward. If you hire Key and then we slip back to 3 or 4 wins next year, then what? You fired a coach and AD in a big spectacle mid season just to promote from within and then to the exact same thing? That makes the President look like a joke and I can't see that happening. A new staff will get a honeymoon phase that Key won't. That's why imo it'll take something really amazing, like beating UGA, for Key to get the job.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think if I were the AD in that scenario, I would interview Key and assuming there were no glaring red flags in his answers, try to hire him on a incentive heavy 5 yr deal with minimal buyout after a couple years. We know we'll be reevaluating this contract in 2 years or so anyway, if he continues to be successful he still makes boatloads and gets the big guaranteed long term money contract when he becomes valuable enough to have other teams interested in poaching him. If he were to fail the next two years, I don't think you can blame the AD for hiring someone like Key that would have had the level of fan support he did when hiring, and the low buyout prevents us from being hampered at that time when the AD can go get who he thinks is the best choice.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

1. A new AD. Not just because he or she will want to make their own hire, but because the firing mid year of an AD sends the message of a complete cleaning out. Promoting from within after doesn't just make it harder to attract an AD, it doesn't go in line with the message sent after making the decision to fire TStan mid year. Maybe he was ordered to fire Collins and refused, but I can't see that happen (either the order or the refusal).

2. Key will be judged not just on 8 games, but on his entire resume, including the last 3 and a half years. And if you hire Key, you are likely committing to more or less the same coaching staff with one or two additions. Fans love to pretend that the head coach is entirely responsible for every aspect, but Collins wasn't the only issue we had, and if we turn it around it won't be due only to Key's effort either. That again goes against the point above.

3. The UGA game is the last game of the year, and will likely be a beatdown. I can't see doing everything we've done, ending the year with another beatdown at the hands of an instate rival, and then promoting from within after the big show of firing not just the coach but also the AD mid year. So Key likely needs to beat UGA to earn the job imo. I also doubt that not hiring Key will really upset the fanbase that much if it's coming off a 49-3 beatdown or something similar. Also, if we go 4-2 over the last 6 there is a very good chance that the two losses are UNC and UGA to end the year which just heightens that effect.

4. Potential problems going forward. If you hire Key and then we slip back to 3 or 4 wins next year, then what? You fired a coach and AD in a big spectacle mid season just to promote from within and then to the exact same thing? That makes the President look like a joke and I can't see that happening. A new staff will get a honeymoon phase that Key won't. That's why imo it'll take something really amazing, like beating UGA, for Key to get the job.
The problem is if we win 4 or 5 more game and you don't keep Key, you will lose the players ( and I know some will say if they want to go let them) But then you are putting a new coach in a bad position and looking at a 3 year rebuild again. I think CBK would be a better head coach than a position coach.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem is if we win 4 or 5 more game and you don't keep Key, you will lose the players ( and I know some will say if they want to go let them) But then you are putting a new coach in a bad position and looking at a 3 year rebuild again. I think CBK would be a better head coach than a position coach.
It seems to me that CBK is able to organize the team and game plan well enough to do something CGC never could: win back to back games.

CGC has already lost enough top talent due to reasons too numerous to rehash here. Furthermore, I figure that we'll lose a handful of players regardless of who ends up getting the HC job.

As far as the AD goes, it's a very real concern - the new AD will want to have their guy for HC. The new AD will almost certainly be an outside hire, so they won't have a full understanding of the hurdles that CBK faced. It seems unlikely that CBK will get the job IMO unless he really shocks the world - and that will likely mean running the table in conference and playing UGA really tough.

The more I'm seeing him in the HC role, the more I'm liking the results. I'm not ready to anoint him with my blessing yet, but if this trend continues, he may have my vote (because we all know this decision will be made on a gtswarm poll)

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was not a fan of bringing him back at all due to some of the stuff I heard about. The thing is, people change. I don't think Key's love for GT ever changed...he had to change his approach to GT when he was employed by someone else. I think the view on Key was also colored by the fact that Collins brought him back and they are good friends. It didn't help that his OL was

underperforming, and he wasn't doing well recruiting OLs until the last class. The fact is, Key has been coaching for over two decades now under some of the best coaches to ever do it in this business. That's not just O'Leary and Saban...that's other assistant coaches and coordinators that have coached with O'Leary and Saban. After a while, that knowledge and they way people operate rub off.

That said, I think we can all agree that Key is doing the better than anyone expected with the hand he's dealt with. His love for GT isn't a question...you hear it in his voice when he talks about GT, and you see it the emotions in his face when dealing with our players. He reminds me a LOT of O'Leary and Friedgen. He doesn't have a way with words like Collins...he's just straight to the point and you can tell he would rather be coaching the guys up than speak at all.

At the end of the day, results matter. If Key were sitting here at 0-2, we wouldn't be discussing anything but who the next coach should be. Anyone notice the potential HC thread going awfully quiet the last week? I think winning has helped this fan base heal, and it's also helped with our coaching staff and players. Check out this video:

I can't remember the last time I've seen our players this happy. It's like a weight was lifted off of them and something was freed. Players are starting to play to their potential. Coaches are starting to coach to their potential. This isn't all on Brent Key, but Key is the architect to this turnaround, and he's also put a sense of belief in our players and coaches that they can get the results they want. That's just as important as lifting weights, and having talent.

No one knows how the rest of the season is going to play out...but 2 games into Key's tenure, GT fans have to love what's going on.

Love it bring back great memories,

not getting blown out and playing good close games. Everyone just wants the games to be competitive. Not 45 - 0 or 55-0.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the juice of the hire affects the outcome. If we get a candidate with a proven background and who can connect with bigger HC names (Herman et al), then there might be a complete house cleaning. If its a candidate climbing the ladder, he may be more willing to nominate Key and build, presuming a quality finish.
Beat the mutts, all bets are off and Key is probably the man. The fanatics will demand it.....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

All good points but I think the assumption when the firings were done a couple of weeks ago I don't think ANYONE foresaw this team closing out the year on a 6-2 run (assumption being made here of course). Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Because Key is an alum and former player of note, he will be the sentimental choice of 95% of the fan base. As an AD, do you alienate your support group with your very first move? Firing Key with a 6-2 record puts both you and the new HC on thin ice at the very beginning. (tech doesn't historically fire coaches with a 75% win rate).Also, it means your next hire HAS to be a proven HC and not a guy getting his first taste of a HC job. It's a tough spot to be in. As far as a Ga. beatdown at the end of the season, as long it is not of historical proportions,I think anyone sees that as expected and not unusual. Look at what they did to Auburn yesterday or SC before (and Auburn/USCe have SEC $$$ too).

I really hope Key goes 6-2 or better for a host of reasons. But it will be interesting to see how it impacts the AD hiring and decision making going forward.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

If I were the AD coming in and Key closes the season out with 6 wins and makes a bowl, I would 100% want Key to be hired. For me, it gives me (the new AD) a window of time should Key not work out that the next head coach would be my first head coach hire not my second. I would get time to get settled into the job and have a better feel for the type of coach to hire. It would give me (the new AD) a longer runway. ie should Key fail later its not my fault

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Also need to see how recruiting is going with Key. Does he hold on to the existing commits and does he add higher ranked commits. There have been relationships started over the last couple of years that would be undone with a totally new staff. If a new coach with HC experience, he may bring some of his recruits with him but depends on would they want the academic challenge. As others have pointed out, it would likely cause another rebuild. Does a new AD bring a proven HC with them?
Assume Key wins at least 3 or more games then he is the safe choice but a reasonable contract (say 4 years + incentives). It could be extended with continued success.
Another caveat:. Sims needs to stay healthy the entire season. We have no proven backup ready.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
anybody have any guesses if we go bowling and Key gets the full time job - what assistant coaches we keep - if any? I’m guessing in large part it will depend on how the season plays out.

Defense keeps it up? Keep Thacker. Offense continues rz struggles? Look for an upgrade.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
anybody have any guesses if we go bowling and Key gets the full time job - what assistant coaches we keep - if any? I’m guessing in large part it will depend on how the season plays out.

Defense keeps it up? Keep Thacker. Offense continues rz struggles? Look for an upgrade.
I would think that most of the offensive staff would stay, since Brent Key is the the only one who was brought in before this year. On the defensive side, I think it depends. I don’t imagine Key feels the need to have 2 DL coaches (Knight and Turner) while having no dedicated LB coach.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
All good points but I think the assumption when the firings were done a couple of weeks ago I don't think ANYONE foresaw this team closing out the year on a 6-2 run (assumption being made here of course). Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Because Key is an alum and former player of note, he will be the sentimental choice of 95% of the fan base. As an AD, do you alienate your support group with your very first move? Firing Key with a 6-2 record puts both you and the new HC on thin ice at the very beginning. (tech doesn't historically fire coaches with a 75% win rate).Also, it means your next hire HAS to be a proven HC and not a guy getting his first taste of a HC job. It's a tough spot to be in. As far as a Ga. beatdown at the end of the season, as long it is not of historical proportions,I think anyone sees that as expected and not unusual. Look at what they did to Auburn yesterday or SC before (and Auburn/USCe have SEC $$$ too).

I really hope Key goes 6-2 or better for a host of reasons. But it will be interesting to see how it impacts the AD hiring and decision making going forward.

If we finish out the year with a 30 point loss to UGA I don't think either an AD or a new HC will be on thin ice with at all due to not keeping on the coach. Fans are fickle. The same fans that are talking about Key being the head coach, two weeks ago were calling him one of the four horsemen that needed to be run out of town along with TStan and Collins. Losing to UGA will flip those same fans right back over or at the very least having them not be upset with going with a different HC.

And that's not including the fans, and likely a large number, who are just happy Collins is gone and expect Key to also be gone at the end of the year because they still view him, at the rest of the staff, as part of the problem and see the same things that characterized our issues under Collins as still being present. I think that group just assumes there is no chance Key is retained barring a win against UGA and would likely be upset if he was hired following a 30 point loss to UGA, expected or otherwise. At the very least they certainly won't be upset with not keeping someone from the previous staff.

To me the bold was assured when we fired Collins and TStan mid year and I think it's a big reason Key won't be a real consideration unless he beats UGA. The next hire has to be a "We are serious about this" splash hire, and promoting from within the program that was in shambles to the point of firing the AD mid year doesn't accomplish that, especially with as weak as the coastal looks at the moment.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
In a perfect world, sure. That's not going to happen and if it does, you'll be getting the coach from Clarke Central or SW DeKalb or some DIII school or something to take the job on those terms. We're not a highly desirable job and no one would do that, not even Key.
Hey now, I would take Billy Henderson (CCHS) in his prime. What a wonderful motivator. There is not a better coach out there, though he definitely only wanted highschool coaching.

I get that. Contracts are just pre-nups to agree on the terms of the divorce ahead of time. But I'm really surprised that Key can command anything other than the very lowest level of P5 HC guarantees. If he doesn't get the GT HC job, he is not getting any other P5 HC job for a least another three to five years.

If we are taking a gamble on him, then it aught to be a mutual gamble instead of the stupidly one-sided gamble we took with the Tight-Panted One.
Tight Panted One. I like. Instead of G***** C******, please use TPO from now on.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If we finish out the year with a 30 point loss to UGA I don't think either an AD or a new HC will be on thin ice with at all due to not keeping on the coach. Fans are fickle. The same fans that are talking about Key being the head coach, two weeks ago were calling him one of the four horsemen that needed to be run out of town along with TStan and Collins. Losing to UGA will flip those same fans right back over or at the very least having them not be upset with going with a different HC.

And that's not including the fans, and likely a large number, who are just happy Collins is gone and expect Key to also be gone at the end of the year because they still view him, at the rest of the staff, as part of the problem and see the same things that characterized our issues under Collins as still being present. I think that group just assumes there is no chance Key is retained barring a win against UGA and would likely be upset if he was hired following a 30 point loss to UGA, expected or otherwise. At the very least they certainly won't be upset with not keeping someone from the previous staff.

To me the bold was assured when we fired Collins and TStan mid year and I think it's a big reason Key won't be a real consideration unless he beats UGA. The next hire has to be a "We are serious about this" splash hire, and promoting from within the program that was in shambles to the point of firing the AD mid year doesn't accomplish that, especially with as weak as the coastal looks at the moment.
I think you’re putting way too much stock into the UGA game. If Key wins out and makes into the ACCCG, and we have 8 wins going into the UGA game and get beat 52-7, you think that would be enough not to retain Key? Georgia already beat Oregon 49-3, Auburn 42-10, and South Carolina 48-7. By the end of the year they will have probably blown out Vandy, Florida, Miss. St, and Kentucky too. Why does that game hold so much significance for Key’s future in your opinion? It’s not like the other teams on their schedule are competing with them. Mizzou has played the closest regular season game against them in 2 years, and just got beat by Florida to go to 0-3 in conference and 2-4 overall. Having a competitive game with UGA is by no means a sign of having a stable program.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why does that game hold so much significance for Key’s future in your opinion?

It is more that I think nobody is going to be crying if we don't hire the guy who just lost to UGA by a lot. Key has been here 4 years. Not 8 games. Something drastic needs to happen for him to offset that first 3 years he was here. Sure winning out before that would be something drastic. I don't see that happening, and I don't put a lot of stock in beating Duke, UVA, or VT this year (or at this point even miami). When we fired Collins the mantra is that we had to show we were serious about winning football as the reason we had to do it now. Hiring Key because he went 6-2 against a stretch that missed two of the top 3 teams we will have played, and possibly 3 of the top 6 or so, against the coastal the way it is doesn't say we're serious. It says we're still cheap and are hoping to get lucky despite that. That isn't the case if he beats UGA.