Coach Brent Key Scenario

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am on record as wanting Chadwell, as a proven program builder and an offensive identity I love.

That said, I think CBK has the personality needed in a GT football coach. You know he understands GT as an institution and the unique challenges it presents. I'm willing to be he doesn't see them as an excuse. His pressers and soundbites have been exactly what you want in a head ball coach.

I would be very willing to give him a shot IF he finishes strong. He appears to have very quickly changed the mindset of this team. And it's not an UNtalented roster. If he gets them playing confidently, they can still have a decent season. However, I would expect (and hope) for some massive turnover in staff. GT will always need a unique identity on at least one side of the ball.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If does well should be interviewed. See what his plans are for recruiting, ideas for getting team from here to there, etc, etc.

Right now just get team ready to play each week. Else this whole thread is moot.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Right now just get team ready to play each week. Else this whole thread is moot.
That right there summarizes the coaching criteria perfectly too... that’s about 99% of the battle. If he does it, interviews ought to be over. We can surround the guy who gets the team ready each week with all kinds of people to do the rest.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
According to Quinlin, he was asked if he wants the job and he said yes, but he’s not focused on that right now.
I'm very happy when people want to be here long term. I just hadn't heard him say anything one way or another. Everyone has just assumed he'd be interested in taking over permanently (or maybe not assumed).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
He and Kirby have similar backgrounds. They know how the Alabama machine worked. But, supposedly, so did G******.
Some people learn and grow from situations and environments. Some people are just in close proximity. It’s hard to tell who is who sometimes until they are challenged individually.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
And I bet we could get Key on a very incentive-based contract. Like someone said, 3-year with automatic 1-year extension based upon performance for the first couple of years. And get creative on pay for both him and the staff....dare I say....percentage of the gate for the coaching staff? Get butts in seats and get paid. And the usual bonuses for #wins, championship games, bowl games, etc.

And agree to pay him a bonus if he doesn't get an agent that takes a percentage. Pay-based agents are parasites. He should get a fee-based agent/lawyer and if he does then give him an extra $100k.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This duke game is just SO big for us all of a sudden. I can’t recall a more important game for GT since PJ retired- To feel hope that the worst is past us, to bring the fans interest back, for Brent Key’s HC aspirations, to have a realistic chance at a bowl game, for recruiting, to prove that our problems were CGC and not the team. Team confidence will soar if we take this one.

“GT’s season stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while all the White and Gold are true.
"A day may come when the courage of Tech fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the White and Gold!"

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
"A day may come when the courage of Tech fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the White and Gold!"
I am beginning to have doubts about whether I am real or am in a simulation that is mixing itself with Middle Earth.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
And I bet we could get Key on a very incentive-based contract. Like someone said, 3-year with automatic 1-year extension based upon performance for the first couple of years. And get creative on pay for both him and the staff....dare I say....percentage of the gate for the coaching staff? Get butts in seats and get paid. And the usual bonuses for #wins, championship games, bowl games, etc.

And agree to pay him a bonus if he doesn't get an agent that takes a percentage. Pay-based agents are parasites. He should get a fee-based agent/lawyer and if he does then give him an extra $100k.

This is just so comical. 3 year contract. No agent. All incentive based. Will you at least give him a pack of cigarettes if he accepts that kind of deal because he would’ve just gotten……well, you know….😂😂

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
This is just so comical. 3 year contract. No agent. All incentive based. Will you at least give him a pack of cigarettes if he accepts that kind of deal because he would’ve just gotten……well, you know….😂😂
I didn't say all incentive based, so you can stop putting words in my mouth to fit your humor.

A three-year contract? I'm not so sure he wouldn't take it if it had automatic extension clauses that were reasonable. He won't get another P5 HC offer in that time frame, and if he's willing to bet on himself then he should consider it. He's at least another job away from a P5 HC offer if he doesn't get this one. We have leverage and should use it.

But the no agent thing...I'd be willing to contribute just to see those hucksters go without food for a bit. But I also know that would never happen...that was a joke but I guess you missed it.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say all incentive based, so you can stop putting words in my mouth to fit your humor.

A three-year contract? I'm not so sure he wouldn't take it if it had automatic extension clauses that were reasonable. He won't get another P5 HC offer in that time frame, and if he's willing to bet on himself then he should consider it. He's at least another job away from a P5 HC offer if he doesn't get this one. We have leverage and should use it.

But the no agent thing...I'd be willing to contribute just to see those hucksters go without food for a bit. But I also know that would never happen...that was a joke but I guess you missed it.

You can't go less than four years for recruiting. Maybe he'd take a four year deal. Maybe. Doesn't really matter. Unless he basically wins out, he won't get it. But, put up a good performance and go get another job maybe in G5 and then be ready when we have to hire a new coach in 10 years or whatever.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
You can't go less than four years for recruiting. Maybe he'd take a four year deal. Maybe. Doesn't really matter. Unless he basically wins out, he won't get it. But, put up a good performance and go get another job maybe in G5 and then be ready when we have to hire a new coach in 10 years or whatever.
Is the four-year for recruiting thing really a thing anymore? What's the half-life of a new P5 coach who is inheriting a losing program now? I'm guessing half lose their jobs in less than four years, but I could just be having confirmation bias since I never notice those who hang on producing losing results and don't get fired after three or four years.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Is the four-year for recruiting thing really a thing anymore? What's the half-life of a new P5 coach who is inheriting a losing program now? I'm guessing half lose their jobs in less than four years, but I could just be having confirmation bias since I never notice those who hang on producing losing results and don't get fired after three or four years.

I can't ever recall a contract less than 4 years. Call it for recruiting or stability or whatever. I wish Stansbury had given Collins a 2 year deal with no buyout and an unlimited Waffle House gift card and an expense account at the Gap for skinny pants. That may have actually saved his job..... :rolleyes:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Three-year contract automatically renewable for one year if the team goes bowling. Three years without a bowl: fired.

End of Year 1: No bowl = no extension. Two years remaining. Bowl in Year 1 = reset to three years total remaining.
End of Year 2: No bowl in Year 1 & 2 = no extensions. One year remaining. Bowl in Year 2 = reset to three years total remaining.
Year 3: No bowl in Year 1, 2 or 3 = fired. Bowl in Year 3 = reset contract to three years total remaining.

Pay for performance. Neat and simple.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Three-year contract automatically renewable for one year if the team goes bowling. Three years without a bowl: fired.

End of Year 1: No bowl = no extension; two years remaining. Bowl in Year 1 = add one year extension. Three years total remaining.
End of Year 2: No bowl in Year 1 & 2 = no extensions. Years remaining = 1. Bowl in Year 2 = add one year to remaining total.
Year 3: No bowl in Year 1, 2 or 3 = fired. Bowl in Year 3 - add one year to remaining total.

Pay for performance. Neat and simple.

In a perfect world, sure. That's not going to happen and if it does, you'll be getting the coach from Clarke Central or SW DeKalb or some DIII school or something to take the job on those terms. We're not a highly desirable job and no one would do that, not even Key.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
In a perfect world, sure. That's not going to happen and if it does, you'll be getting the coach from Clarke Central or SW DeKalb or some DIII school or something to take the job on those terms. We're not a highly desirable job and no one would do that, not even Key.
take a second look. I just revised my plan with a three-year reset for a bowl game.

Now what do you think?