Coach Brent Key Scenario

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We’ll see how the rest of the year plays out, but it’s going to be very hard for me if we let Key walk away if he wins 3-4 more games. I think there are definitely some better candidates on paper, but Brent Key loves Georgia Tech, and being the head coach here probably really is his dream job. If he takes us to a bowl through all the turmoil he’s facing I think you have to give him the job. The players have responded to his leadership. The 3rd down play against Pitt where Hall was 7 yards short of the marker until the whole team came together and pushed him 10 more yards was more effort than I’ve seen out of a GT football team in 4 years.

There was definitely a lot of luck that went our way in that Pitt game, but the fight and the want to win was more obvious than it was in any game Collins coached, outside of maybe UNC last year.
Let's say we beat Duke, UVA, and VT and lose to FSU in the middle. We finish the season with three losses losing to UNC, Miami, and we get blown out by UGA. This is actually a pretty realistic scenario. Do you keep Key?

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
You missed the entire point. Key may choose to clean house, he may choose to get ride of a few staff and keep the rest, or he may choose to keep everyone.

The point is, judging Key if he wins 6+ games because of who is on the current staff is the wrong way to look at it.
Actually it’s the perfect way. If he wins 4-6 more games with a staff that he did not assemble, imagine results with one he puts together.

Having said that new AD must inquire about staffing ideas before making the call. There are pieces on this staff that need to be retained

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No. He needs to win five more games for me to keep him unless one is ugag.

Something tells me Cabrera wants to clean house, and that goes for possibly a lot of admins in the Athletic department. That's why he named Neville interim instead of someone from inside the athletic department.

That tells me Key needs to hit it out of the park over the remaining 8 (possibly 9) games. I'm not sure winning 3 or 4 games will cut it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Let's say we beat Duke, UVA, and VT and lose to FSU in the middle. We finish the season with three losses losing to UNC, Miami, and we get blown out by UGA. This is actually a pretty realistic scenario. Do you keep Key?
Unless you have Chadwell or Deion in line ready to go, I think you keep Key in that scenario. He would finish his year 4-3, beating every team he should on paper, as well as upsetting a team he shouldn’t have beat, and all 3 losses would be expected losses. A team who’s best record in the previous 3 years was 3-7, suddenly turning around and going 4-3 (with one loss coming via a probable CFP participant) and 5-7 on the year after starting 1-3 it would be blatantly obvious that the program is moving forward, rather than laterally or backwards.

Any new coach we bring in is going to come with their own set of growing pains. There will be transfers in and out, a completely new staff, a new playbook, a new culture. If we hire somebody new I don’t think we are immediately successful in 2023, and getting to a bowl game would probably be pretty difficult again. Retaining Key limits the growing pains, and I think he has a very solid vision for the program. Key played here during what was probably the best stretch of GT football since the Dodd years. Tech finished the season ranked in all 4 of Key’s years as a player and a captain. The last time Tech had 4 consecutive ranked seasons before that? Never. It had never been done before, and it hasn’t been done since. Key’s teams went 3-1 against UGA, and still have the most recent win at home against them. They also have the most recent win by more than 1 score.

Brent Key knows the culture at Georgia Tech. He loves the school, and he loves the place. AND he was a large part of one of, if not the most successful stretches of GT football in the modern era. Now all of that doesn’t automatically qualify him as the best candidate to be our head coach, but it does make him very attractive. Key has worked closely with some of the most successful college head coaches ever. He’s been part of conference and national championship teams. So far he seems competent as a head coach, and he even made less mistakes regarding time management and discipline than Collins did who had many more years of HC experience.

I think with the challenges that come along with being the head coach at Georgia Tech, you need somebody willing to embrace it and take it head on. With some help from Cabrera and the Hill, we can definitely work to mitigate some of those challenges, but they will never disappear entirely. Key seems like the guy most willing to embrace that, and he will do it because he loves this place, and not because he loves his job or the money that comes along with it.

And of course Key may retain the job as the permanent head coach and be a total bust. But with the hand he’s been dealt, getting this team to 5-7 would be a massive accomplishment, one I think is worthy of serious consideration for getting the full time gig. Because we’ll already have information on how he handles himself and the team as Georgia Tech’s coach. If you get somebody from the outside, there’s risks in that you don’t really know what you’re going to get.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Unless you have Chadwell or Deion in line ready to go, I think you keep Key in that scenario. He would finish his year 4-3, beating every team he should on paper, as well as upsetting a team he shouldn’t have beat, and all 3 losses would be expected losses. A team who’s best record in the previous 3 years was 3-7, suddenly turning around and going 4-3 (with one loss coming via a probable CFP participant) and 5-7 on the year after starting 1-3 it would be blatantly obvious that the program is moving forward, rather than laterally or backwards.

Any new coach we bring in is going to come with their own set of growing pains. There will be transfers in and out, a completely new staff, a new playbook, a new culture. If we hire somebody new I don’t think we are immediately successful in 2023, and getting to a bowl game would probably be pretty difficult again. Retaining Key limits the growing pains, and I think he has a very solid vision for the program. Key played here during what was probably the best stretch of GT football since the Dodd years. Tech finished the season ranked in all 4 of Key’s years as a player and a captain. The last time Tech had 4 consecutive ranked seasons before that? Never. It had never been done before, and it hasn’t been done since. Key’s teams went 3-1 against UGA, and still have the most recent win at home against them. They also have the most recent win by more than 1 score.

Brent Key knows the culture at Georgia Tech. He loves the school, and he loves the place. AND he was a large part of one of, if not the most successful stretches of GT football in the modern era. Now all of that doesn’t automatically qualify him as the best candidate to be our head coach, but it does make him very attractive. Key has worked closely with some of the most successful college head coaches ever. He’s been part of conference and national championship teams. So far he seems competent as a head coach, and he even made less mistakes regarding time management and discipline than Collins did who had many more years of HC experience.

I think with the challenges that come along with being the head coach at Georgia Tech, you need somebody willing to embrace it and take it head on. With some help from Cabrera and the Hill, we can definitely work to mitigate some of those challenges, but they will never disappear entirely. Key seems like the guy most willing to embrace that, and he will do it because he loves this place, and not because he loves his job or the money that comes along with it.

And of course Key may retain the job as the permanent head coach and be a total bust. But with the hand he’s been dealt, getting this team to 5-7 would be a massive accomplishment, one I think is worthy of serious consideration for getting the full time gig. Because we’ll already have information on how he handles himself and the team as Georgia Tech’s coach. If you get somebody from the outside, there’s risks in that you don’t really know what you’re going to get.
In that scenario he finishes the season 3-4 and not 4-3

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I want all of this to be right. I say this on a “high” with a sample size of ONE, but I want it to be right. I like the idea of Key being successful and being retained.

However, the reality of the situation is this team has to win big and Key has to be a no-brainer. I don’t know exactly what “win big” means, but my gut says win #6 has to come at home vs Miami, if not before. We are going to be making decisions before UGA and potentially even before UNC. I think that home game against the Canes needs to be a rowdy, excited fan base with a pretty full BDS and a win for the home team. That’s going to be the last visual for everyone involved before hard decisions have to be made.
Right / wrong/ indifferent, we are bringing in a new AD specifically because of mistakes made by the last guy in regard to our football program. If you’re the new AD, I think it’s a massive risk to tap a guy who is already on staff from the last AD unless he is just an unmitigated home run of a success...
Unfortunately for Key, he probably could’ve been the guy with 4-5 wins if the AD weren’t part of the house cleaning.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
If Brent Key takes us to a bowl that would be awesome. And I believe he can. And if he does then he deserves legitimate consideration as our HC for 2023.

But for kicks and giggles, if he somehow did the unimaginable and ran the table..... Tell Prime Time we ain't buyin'

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Right now no matter who is the next Head coach I believe it would be a suicide mission, Why? Because no matter who it is 1/2 the fan base will be against them. I really think we have the worse fan base of anyone.
Let the season play out We could win 1 more game or all of them. Just support the players and worry about the next head coach after the season.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We’ll see how the rest of the year plays out, but it’s going to be very hard for me if we let Key walk away if he wins 3-4 more games. I think there are definitely some better candidates on paper, but Brent Key loves Georgia Tech, and being the head coach here probably really is his dream job. If he takes us to a bowl through all the turmoil he’s facing I think you have to give him the job. The players have responded to his leadership. The 3rd down play against Pitt where Hall was 7 yards short of the marker until the whole team came together and pushed him 10 more yards was more effort than I’ve seen out of a GT football team in 4 years.

There was definitely a lot of luck that went our way in that Pitt game, but the fight and the want to win was more obvious than it was in any game Collins coached, outside of maybe UNC last year.
Two things in common between UNC last year and Pitt win this year, turnovers in our favor. We needed some help and got it. Now can we beat a decent Duke team straight up , I think we can with a good offensive performance and without us making turnovers. I am looking for even more improvement this week.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Thats fair, and I agree completely. "No hope" of winning may be a stretch, but we are a team that consistently plays down to the level of competition (I hope I can say "were" but the jury is still out on that). Every game was going to be a struggle, so every game was in considerable doubt. On top of playing down, we did not look like a team, or a staff, that could do what needed to be done in order to overcome a challenge and adversity down the stretch. Seeing us respond that way to end the game last week is the single most encouraging thing to me.
Usually teams make the most progress in their second game. maybe this is our second game?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy, but all three are winnable games. Win all three (fingers crossed) and we're sitting at 5-3 and a win away from being bowl eligible. How crazy would that be given a week ago it seemed this team was dead in the water?
it's alive GIF

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I tend to agree, but I think it will take getting to 6 wins regular season. That’s going to be a tall order given what we’ve put on the field this far. But the way I see it is that if we make it to 6 then what we put on the field during that process will look much better than what we have this far

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That’s the fringe scenario. I think it depends on how we look in those four losses.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
7 total=Key
6 total w/UGA=key
5 total with competency and/or UGA = he's in the conversation and likely in.
anything less seems to be risky. I think we will all know by the end of the year, what to do. The only scenario that I can see where we won't know is a 3 or 4 win season AND beating UGA. I am confident that we will know though.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
7 total=Key
6 total w/UGA=key
5 total with competency and/or UGA = he's in the conversation and likely in.
anything less seems to be risky. I think we will all know by the end of the year, what to do. The only scenario that I can see where we won't know is a 3 or 4 win season AND beating UGA. I am confident that we will know though.
By the time the Ugag game rolls around, I'm thinking the decision and a deal will already have been made one way or another. And besides, beating them this year is probably a one-in-a-thousand shot.
I would think the new AD isn't going to wait until after the season is over and the field becomes suddenly more crowded. He's going to make his decision before then. He's either going to have a new coach lined up, or he's going to offer Key a contract.

I think if Key wins 4 of the next 6, he's got his foot in the door and if he wins 5 of the next 6, he's probably in.
Wouldn't it be great if the Jackets could win all six? In that scenario, I can't imagine Key not getting the job. I'm pulling for him.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
By the time the Ugag game rolls around, I'm thinking the decision and a deal will already have been made one way or another. And besides, beating them this year is probably a one-in-a-thousand shot.
I would think the new AD isn't going to wait until after the season is over and the field becomes suddenly more crowded. He's going to make his decision before then. He's either going to have a new coach lined up, or he's going to offer Key a contract.

I think if Key wins 4 of the next 6, he's got his foot in the door and if he wins 5 of the next 6, he's probably in.
Wouldn't it be great if the Jackets could win all six? In that scenario, I can't imagine Key not getting the job. I'm pulling for him.
Agree on all of it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm torn on this. I was always a big fan of Key when he played and if we win 6 he should get serious consideration. 5 won't do it for me, although I know that probably dooms his chances. The main thing: he's never built a program and Tech has no track record for how he would do it. Virtually every other candidate getting serious consideration (here, al least) has and has done so successfully. That cuts a lot of ice with me and I suspect it will with the new AD as well.

He'll always get a thumbs up from me, however, for restoring discipline on the sidelines and on the field. Last week Tech looked like a team that was serious about its business for the first time in four years. Let's hope that continues.