Coach Brent Key Scenario

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I don't get why people are acting like Key wasn't here the entire time. He was here the last 3 years. He was a coach for the Ole Miss game. He was a coach for the ND and UGA games last year. He was a coach when we got waxed by Pitt last year, and a coach when we lost to UNI. He was a coach when we lost 73-7 against Clemson, when we lost to Temple 24-2 and when we lost to Citadel. If the argument is that all of that falls only on Collins as a head coach then maybe a big part of the problem was his AHC wasn't doing anything. He isn't Dabo at Clemson under Bowden. Dabo was a position coach excelling at what he was doing for an underachieving but still pretty good program. Key was the Assistant head coach and his position group was arguably our worst group over the last 3 years.

Let me ask this. Let's say we go 4-3 the rest of the way, make a bowl game, but don't hire Key. Does anyone think he'd even be in consideration for a P5 HC job? Because I don't. Nobody else would completely separate him from his role in the mess we had, even if he turned around this year into a moderate success. The other thing is that going with key opens up the door for the possibility that even if we turn around this year to a mediocre year (6-6 or 7-5) that we fall back to 3-9 levels next year. In that situation we'd have fired an AD and coach mid year to say we are serious about this, just to promote from within and get the same results. I can't imagine the president allowing that.
Somebody has a case of *The Mondays*

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't get why people are acting like Key wasn't here the entire time. He was here the last 3 years. He was a coach for the Ole Miss game. He was a coach for the ND and UGA games last year. He was a coach when we got waxed by Pitt last year, and a coach when we lost to UNI. He was a coach when we lost 73-7 against Clemson, when we lost to Temple 24-2 and when we lost to Citadel. If the argument is that all of that falls only on Collins as a head coach then maybe a big part of the problem was his AHC wasn't doing anything. He isn't Dabo at Clemson under Bowden. Dabo was a position coach excelling at what he was doing for an underachieving but still pretty good program. Key was the Assistant head coach and his position group was arguably our worst group over the last 3 years.

Let me ask this. Let's say we go 4-3 the rest of the way, make a bowl game, but don't hire Key. Does anyone think he'd even be in consideration for a P5 HC job? Because I don't. Nobody else would completely separate him from his role in the mess we had, even if he turned around this year into a moderate success. The other thing is that going with key opens up the door for the possibility that even if we turn around this year to a mediocre year (6-6 or 7-5) that we fall back to 3-9 levels next year. In that situation we'd have fired an AD and coach mid year to say we are serious about this, just to promote from within and get the same results. I can't imagine the president allowing that.
All that could of been said about Dabo. At some point it's a judgement call.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

The bottom line for me is that Brent Key needs to be judged on his own merits as HC, not on the merits of the people around him, whether or not he's an insider, or even his previous job. He was only one small part of the staff but now he's in charge. It's a very different situation and responsibility. He's off to a great start and has seven more auditions to go. We'll see what happens...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I think it's mostly about Key himself. There is a portion of the fan base that loves Key and has been willing to overlook or even defend significant OL issues for the past few years. Whether it's because he is a Tech man, or because he coached under Saban, I don't know, but he generally gets kiddie glove treatment. I have zero doubt that if Thacker was named interim head coach and gave the same performance on Saturday beating Pitt, that no one would even be considering making him a permanent coach.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan

Key has been here during the entire C###### fiasco. The main complaints during that period was game management, clown like gimmicks, and questionable practice methods and procedures. In my opinion Key has always been more inclined to provide tough love in his coaching philosophy, which was the opposite of what the head man appeared to want. His performance should be evaluated going forward. I am sure our future AD will be watching his performance. If he takes this team to a bowl game I think the next AD would be foolish not to give him a chance. Hopefully a contract based on incentives rather than fear of losing him would be developed.
Whatever happens going forward I know one thing. I will be in my seat at the Duke game expecting this team to win. That is a totally different expectation than I had when I left the Ole Miss game with six minutes left. Go Jackets!!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The bottom line for me is that Brent Key needs to be judged on his own merits as HC, not on the merits of the people around him, whether or not he's an insider, or even his previous job. He was only one small part of the staff but now he's in charge. It's a very different situation and responsibility. He's off to a great start and has seven more auditions to go. We'll see what happens...

Valid point, and specifically relevant. CGC was apparently a decent DC at Mississippi State and Florida. Mediocre head coach at Temple, (dare I say it) awful head coach at Tech.

The simple fact remains - being a head coach is different than being a position coach. Aside from the possibility that CGC's gameday coaching (or lack thereof) may have been walking back the work Key was doing (not sure that's the case, but it's a possibility), Key's role now is 100% different than it was as an O-line coach. It's up to him to show what he can do with it. We still have a long road to go, but it's off to a good start. If the man proves he can win, and get this staff and team performing, I see no reason to change what's working. (That's a mighty big if, but an important one in my book).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
All that could of been said about Dabo. At some point it's a judgement call.

I addressed that in the post. The two situations aren't similar. "He isn't Dabo at Clemson under Bowden. Dabo was a position coach excelling at what he was doing for an underachieving but still pretty good program. Key was the Assistant head coach and his position group was arguably our worst group over the last 3 years."

Why would we judge him only on 8 games when literally any other candidate would also be judged on their entire resume including their time as an assistant, position coach, or coordinator? That's silly. Key should be judged, like any candidate, on his entire resume, and that includes his time as AHC at Georgia Tech. And he was only a small part of the staff? What? He was the number 2 guy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why would we judge him only on 8 games when literally any other candidate would also be judged on their entire resume including their time as an assistant, position coach, or coordinator? That's silly. Key should be judged, like any candidate, on his entire resume, and that includes his time as AHC at Georgia Tech. And he was only a small part of the staff? What? He was the number 2 guy.
I would give much more weight to his performance as HC, since that's the job he would be considered for.
He was the number 2 guy on paper, but I don't know how significant that is. Geoff seemed pretty arrogant to me and probably did everything his way. There seems to have been a big improvement in the attitude of this team already.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You're assuming the #2 guy was actually given enough control of the team to make a difference, and wasn't just a ceremonial title given to him to keep him here. From what it sounds like, and what we saw on the field, everything began and ended with Geoff Collins. During the interview last week Key touched on some things that would change under his direction, although he wouldn't say specifically what...I would assume that's not to add insult towards an already fired Collins. We saw some of those changes on special teams, and it made a world of difference.

The wheels could come off over the remaining games and this would be moot. However, if Key does turn this ship around and GT goes 6-2, it's VERY valid to want to keep him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

So then he's a National Championship winning coach.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I addressed that in the post. The two situations aren't similar. "He isn't Dabo at Clemson under Bowden. Dabo was a position coach excelling at what he was doing for an underachieving but still pretty good program. Key was the Assistant head coach and his position group was arguably our worst group over the last 3 years."

Brent Key has a much more impressive resume than Dabo did at the time he was hired. Both are assistant coaches from a staff that failed to the point of having the head coach fired mid season. I don't what exactly Dabo was excelling at as a position coach other than some recruiting wins.

OL coach is not the path to being a fan favorite, even in the best of times. Fans notice and are hyper critical of OL mistakes just like missed tackles on defense but a lot of that is just football. Our OL under Key has been a weakness but he had by far the toughest transition in the that lineman he inherited were not well suited physically for the offense and it takes a lot longer to develop OL compared to other positions. It's hard for me to judge his performance purely as an OL coach but I do know that he's had a track record of success there working with O'Leary and Saban, neither of which are easy coaches to work for. If his association with Collins is a deal breaker for you then you're entitled to your opinion. I think Collins was so incompetent that I prefer to judge Key's performance at GT primarily during his time spent without Collins.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You're assuming the #2 guy was actually given enough control of the team to make a difference, and wasn't just a ceremonial title given to him to keep him here. From what it sounds like, and what we saw on the field, everything began and ended with Geoff Collins. During the interview last week Key touched on some things that would change under his direction, although he wouldn't say specifically what...I would assume that's not to add insult towards an already fired Collins. We saw some of those changes on special teams, and it made a world of difference.

The wheels could come off over the remaining games and this would be moot. However, if Key does turn this ship around and GT goes 6-2, it's VERY valid to want to keep him.
I agree with you. But help me remember something wasn't it after year 2 the Key wanted more say so and was going to SC but then CGC said he would and Key stayed but CGC don't let him have anymore . ( I may not be remembering the whole story)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If he does well this season I think he should get a shot at HC. He is a Tech man. I am also anticipating a lot of coaches being fired before the season ends, so if we are looking to hire a good HC we will have a lot of competition.

JacketFan137

Banned
if we were doing our due diligence and having a serious coaching search we should be exhausting all options. i have a decent list of guys i like more than key but if he does a good job the rest of the way that’s at least worth a look and an interview.

right now we have some interest coming in and going out, but that’s all gonna change when it’s real interviews.

we are also operating in here under the assumption key wants to be the HC. i’m not sure we even know what he wants right now.

all we can do is wait and see. a decision isn’t being made tonight

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck

Some people aren't the best position coaches, but are meant to be HC just weird

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there is anything he can realistically do. You don't go scorched earth, fire the head coach early in the season and the AD, and then promote from within. He played a part in us being as bad as we have been. I don't think that is so easily forgotten.

George O'Leary was part of a 1 win team, and was 0-3 as the interim.

Point being: You don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes that baby grows up and becomes better than his environment.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
George O'Leary was part of a 1 win team, and was 0-3 as the interim.

Point being: You don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes that baby grows up and becomes better than his environment.
O'Leary was the DC for our national championship team and had pretty highly ranked defenses the entire time under Ross. That's not quite the same situation.